Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Ooooh I'm excited - new filters

Well although I did miraculously find some old unprocessed data a couple of weeks ago that kept me sane (mostly), I haven't actually collected any fresh image data since the end of January

...buuuut I've just finished installing my complete set of new low reflection Type IIc LRGB Astronomik filters to compliment the low reflection HaOIIISII set already installed a couple of weeks ago.

Given my imaging contentment basket has been pretty empty for a while now , I thought I'd share this bit of rare joy witch ya (please forgive me)

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike20...41295/original

Now just need some clear weather and time to BLUDDY WELL USE THEM!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Nice mate... Not that I ever noticed any reflections in your images, but hey, if buying new filters has made you happy, then it was definitely worth it... Nobody wants to see a strongman get angry!

ps... thats a MONUMENTAL filterwheel man! I love it!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Oh, are they all parfocal?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Ah thanks Alex made for a nice Sunday morning fiddle and gave me a bit of an astro hit

You don't notice the larger refection rings around brighter stars in my images cause I massage them out or camouflage them ... time will tell how much better these new filters are but according to Gerd Neumann of Astronomiks and going by some images I've seen taken before and after there should be a noticable difference...

Yes the FLI CFW-2-7 is beautifully made and has been the 50mm filterwheel benchmark for sometime now, super smooth operation and repeatability ie filters return to the exact spot after rotations so vignetting and dust rings line up if you are doing flats "after" a session (ie multiple filter changes)rather than after each filter plus 7 filter spaces is perfect for a complete set of popular broad and narrow band filters

Yes the filters are parfocal.

Is is clear yet? is it clear yet? is it....
Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

hah.. I've been asking myself the same question.. my RC hasn't been outside the house yet... The suspense is killing me!

I've organised a CFW for my SBIG, sadly its only 5 position, but I think for my imaging HaLRGB will be enough.. should have the wheel and filters inside a month..
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

your new toys have kept this cloud over us this weekend Mike.......... be nice to see them in action though....
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
hah.. I've been asking myself the same question.. my RC hasn't been outside the house yet... The suspense is killing me!

I've organised a CFW for my SBIG, sadly its only 5 position, but I think for my imaging HaLRGB will be enough.. should have the wheel and filters inside a month..
Oh post a pick of'em when they arrive, I love seeing new stuff

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
your new toys have kept this cloud over us this weekend Mike.......... be nice to see them in action though....
Tell me about it
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
gregbradley

Nice one Mike. It'll be interesting to see the results. My type 11B astronomiks are fairly low reflection to start with but I do see the odd reflection halo around bright stars.

I take it the filters came with spacers so they fit in the CFW 5/7?

I finally got some spacers from Gerd for the 50mm square filters I use and they are very good actually. I am sure the spacers themselves cut down on reflections.

Are the edges blackened? If not a bit of texta does the trick and it is well worth doing per Richard Crisp. I did my Baaders but not the Astronomiks yet.

Greg.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Nice one Mike. It'll be interesting to see the results. My type 11B astronomiks are fairly low reflection to start with but I do see the odd reflection halo around bright stars.
Yes but these are meant to be even better...we'll see...the ASA was supposed to be a cracker too

Quote:
I take it the filters came with spacers so they fit in the CFW 5/7?
It is the CFW-2-7 that I have and yes Gerd will supply spacers if you ask and he did for me.

Quote:
Are the edges blackened? If not a bit of texta does the trick and it is well worth doing per Richard Crisp. I did my Baaders but not the Astronomiks yet.
No, I didn't do that....I'm not sure that light can even get to the edges of the filters because the spacer covers the edges..?

Are other brand of filters supplied with blackened edges?

Mike
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well although I did miraculously find some old unprocessed data a couple of weeks ago that kept me sane (mostly), I haven't actually collected any fresh image data since the end of January

...buuuut I've just finished installing my complete set of new low reflection Type IIc LRGB Astronomik filters to compliment the low reflection HaOIIISII set already installed a couple of weeks ago.

Given my imaging contentment basket has been pretty empty for a while now , I thought I'd share this bit of rare joy witch ya (please forgive me)

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike20...41295/original

Now just need some clear weather and time to BLUDDY WELL USE THEM!
Hate to be a party pooper, but I have these and they showed a nice big halo around zeta Ori. The Baader ones are supposed to be the front runner.
geoff
Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
jase (Jason)

Looking forward to seeing results Mike - a picture speaks a thousand words.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Hate to be a party pooper, but I have these and they showed a nice big halo around zeta Ori. The Baader ones are supposed to be the front runner.
geoff
Hmm? I have the very first set post prototype, so maybe (hopefully) you have the old ones..?

Mike
Old 06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Looking forward to seeing results Mike - a picture speaks a thousand words.
I know
Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post

Yes the FLI CFW-2-7 is beautifully made and has been the 50mm filterwheel benchmark for sometime now.....
Bugger. I suspected the CFW8-L wasn't good for marking benches