Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Oh mate, don't take the above as meaning that the lens you bought is not sharp. You will be most happy with it. Guaranteed. These comparisons are really pixel-peeping and nit-picking over the tiniest little thing. You have bought a great lens that will serve you very well for a long time.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 AM
matt
6000 post club member

It's all good, Troy I was just trying to understand what was being stated.

I'm sure the lens will perform very nicely, and it's only one of a number of lenses in my camera bag.

I'll post some shots when I get a chance.

Cheers
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
CometGuy

Matt,

To quote Photozone:

"The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS is the very best zoom lens tested to date in Canon mount. The resolution figures (center/border) at all focal length and all tested aperture settings are nothing short of stunning and also as good as the best fix-focals in this range. At f/11 there´s the usual decline in quality due to diffraction - this is a physical limit. Truly remarkable. "

But the reality is all the Canon 70-200 lenses are exceptional and your selection is based on intended purpose/price rather than ultimate sharpness.

For astrophotography I haven't seen anything done with the 70-200 4 IS yet, so you might be the "guinea pig" Matt. I know the 70-200 2.8 and 4.0 non-IS are excellent lenses for astrophotography, and I've seen mixed comments about the 70-200 2.8 IS lens.

Terry