Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 AM
SuperG

C6SCT and ASI120MC

Quick on for you since I don't want to muck around tonight. I have my 1st SCT. I used my laser collimator last night without the diagonal bit and centred the spot. When I have the diagonal in the spot is no where near the centre.

Do I need the diagonal to image with the C6 and ASI camera? Is there a focal point issue if I don't use the diagonal?

thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

With a SCT you won't need a diagonal, better off without one in fact. SCTs have an amazing range of focus that they can achieve.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM
pdalek (Patrick)

A laser is not effective for collimating a SCT. Centering the spot, as would be done for a Newtonian, is likely to give very poor results.

A reliable method is given in here:
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/collimation.pdf

During the day I don't bother with a bought artificial star, but just observe a small white paint spot on the chimney of a house down the street. Any small, sufficiently bright and distant object will work.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:13 PM
SuperG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdalek View Post
A laser is not effective for collimating a SCT. Centering the spot, as would be done for a Newtonian, is likely to give very poor results.

A reliable method is given in here:
http://skywatch.brainiac.com/collimation.pdf

During the day I don't bother with a bought artificial star, but just observe a small white paint spot on the chimney of a house down the street. Any small, sufficiently bright and distant object will work.
Thanks that helps a lot. Whatever I did with the laser gave me a strange halo of light in the images I tried to take initially..