ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Saturn488

ZWO Cooled camera noise?

I am using an ASI178MM-Cooled and I find my images come out noisy. My gain and offset isn’t set very high and the camera is usually at -20C.

My exposures are 180 seconds.

Does anyone have any issue with noise using cooled cameras?
Old 28-05-2020, 10:32 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

can you post a sample image? Hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the issue.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Saturn488

Actually I have just noticed when stacking my LRGB channels seperatly in DSS they all come out as RGB, then I need to convert them to Grayscale in PixInsight.

This might be why I am getting the extra noise/grain.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:58 AM
dan_iana (Daniel and Iana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn488 View Post
I am using an ASI178MM-Cooled and I find my images come out noisy. My gain and offset isn’t set very high and the camera is usually at -20C.

My exposures are 180 seconds.

Does anyone have any issue with noise using cooled cameras?
1. Not really with a 1600mm-pro. Noise wise they are pretty good (unless yours is faulty).
2. Try astroflats plugin for Photoshop - we don't use any calibration frames as astroflats does the job pretty well.
3. In deep sky stacker, make sure you don't have hot or cold pixel reduction selected as this can increase perceivable noise as it can hollow out your stars making them less sharp and appear overall "more noisy".
Old 29-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_iana View Post
1. Not really with a 1600mm-pro. Noise wise they are pretty good (unless yours is faulty).
2. Try astroflats plugin for Photoshop - we don't use any calibration frames as astroflats does the job pretty well.
3. In deep sky stacker, make sure you don't have hot or cold pixel reduction selected as this can increase perceivable noise as it can hollow out your stars making them less sharp and appear overall "more noisy".
The astroflat Photoshop plugin is pretty good, I used to use it. I just moved over to PixInsight which I am getting really good results with.

I will give the hot pixel reduction a go. I am thinking if converting from RGB to Grayscale will produce noise in PixInsight because I need to do it to do an LRGB combination.
Old 29-05-2020, 12:45 PM
dan_iana (Daniel and Iana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn488 View Post
The astroflat Photoshop plugin is pretty good, I used to use it. I just moved over to PixInsight which I am getting really good results with.

I will give the hot pixel reduction a go. I am thinking if converting from RGB to Grayscale will produce noise in PixInsight because I need to do it to do an LRGB combination.
Make sure hot and cold pixel reduction is turned OFF, not ON . When it's ON it was making all the small and full background stars in my image appear as noise.
Old 29-05-2020, 02:07 PM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_iana View Post
Make sure hot and cold pixel reduction is turned OFF, not ON . When it's ON it was making all the small and full background stars in my image appear as noise.
Just to confirm is it the hot pixel detection and removal option under the Dark tab in the stacking options?

or

Before I register?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5.JPG)
45.1 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (8.JPG)
28.0 KB22 views

Last edited by Saturn488; 29-05-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:10 PM
Saturn488

No matter I found it!

I applied the change to a previously done image I took and there is a massive difference. My stars were coming out really blurry and pixelated.

Thanks for that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.JPG)
46.4 KB22 views