Old 23-02-2020, 05:23 PM
etill (Elliot)

M83 Southern Pinwheel

Since it was a fairly good night last night, no moon, no heat, no clouds, I wanted to try some more galaxies. I tried this one before a while back but it sets between a tree and my tin roof, so it was terrible last time round. Now I can get it higher in the sky it came out ok I think.

50 x 120 sec ISO800
25 x 240 sec ISO800
20 x darks and flats, 100 bias
Canon 60D unmodded, no filters (yet, they've been ordered..)

I processed the two exposure times separately then added them together in pixinsight using pixelmath. I was also using a smaller guide scope, replaced the 80/400 orion with a 60mm f3.6 unit i picked up cheaply from another IIS member to see if I could lose some of the combined weight. The 60mm scope worked well, no problem finding guide stars, and PHD seemed to think it was guiding better, but I still found the stars a little too triangular.

I got a bunch of star clusters too while waiting for the galaxy to rise high enough, so it will be interesting to compare once I get the filters and mod the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M83.jpg)
115.6 KB60 views
Old 23-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

A nice clean M 83 Elliot, a bit of fiddling with your histogram & you should be able to get some nice blue hues to show up there.
Well done,
Tony
Old 26-02-2020, 01:05 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Looking good Elliot but don't use filters on this one when they arrive and as Tony said a touch of blue will balance it out. Nice one!