Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM
Daryl

Waiting permissions to post equipment for sale

I am a member but haven’t been here for a while. Am waiting the criteria to be able to post these for sale here. I sold my scope but kept a few pieces in case I bought another. This didn’t eventuate so will have a Meade 10” DSLR Camera attachment, light pollution filter, set of coloured filters & a Canon SLR digital camera. As soon as I’ve met the criteria I will post these for sale.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Daryl,
you have been here as long as I have! Tell us a bit about yourself and astronomy interest to boost your post rating.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I believe that when money is not a small sume you can NOT be too careful, and personally I would not buy from anyone with just 6 posts, sorry but you need trust to buy and sell, after all there is always ebay, there buyers do have protection.

Here if you are conned (NOT saying you) there is NO comeback.

Therefore the criteria is, post, post, post so people "know you"
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

One poster I contacted saying people will be wary of anyone with just 6 posts and already selling told me today

"Yes True, just try luck in case someone might be interested. I am armature and do not have knowledge to write report or review. I posted 6 posts as per minimal requirement to list item in IIS."

Not a good reason to use IIS I don't think, no interest in the forum just posting in order to sell ???

Old 09-02-2020, 07:41 AM
leon

Yep Jeremy, I do agree with you.
I have been here a long time and there are numerous members that join only to sell and you never hear from them again.
Look at the members list and see how many members actually say nothing.
That is their choice i suppose, but I reckon the minimum posts before selling should be at least 30 plus.

Leon
Old 09-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I have sold to people who have less posts than the original poster, what you do is check their stats and how long they have been on the forums. Many posts in the archives sometimes don't show up as posts so it pays to check the person's stats as well.

If you sell to someone on these forums money first then the goods. f buying off someone with minimal stats phone numbers and address that is verifiable before money exchanges hands. Usually 99% of people on here are honest.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I wouldn't mind having an ad from a low poster/low participant. There must be so many people who buy into this hobby and find that it's not for them. I'd rather the opportunity to buy unwanted goodies well below retail, than have said goodies rotting unappreciated in someone's closet.

Sure they could sell on Ebay, etc, and possibly history would repeat itself. I believe such gear would have more chance of being used (or at least unused, but cared for) amongst the likes of us.

Regarding the hoard of dormant members, Id suggest the following. Mods running an SQL query, etc and culling off every member with less than 5 posts, AND last login >2 yrs ago. That should clean out the bots and non players. May also make the members' list actually navigable.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:48 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I have bought a very pricey item from a low post count member .
And didn't feel uncomfortable doing so , another member I had dealt with a few times spoke highly so went with that its worked out well so far .Have also sent off quite a lot of gear without checking funds.

100 posts joined last month
or
10 posts over 10 years

Trust is were its sits with each of us i guess .

Last edited by GrahamL; 10-02-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I have sold to people who have less posts than the original poster, what you do is check their stats and how long they have been on the forums. Many posts in the archives sometimes don't show up as posts so it pays to check the person's stats as well.

If you sell to someone on these forums money first then the goods. f buying off someone with minimal stats phone numbers and address that is verifiable before money exchanges hands. Usually 99% of people on here are honest.
Hmmm

Ebay is full of honest people, there is almost no such thing as phone scams, people are almost never conned, "in a dream world!"
Old 09-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

???????????

100 posts joined last month
10 posts over 10 years

How can it be 10 posts over 10 years if you only joined last month, that even sounds silly as you have not been here 10 years ?????
In reality people want to know that people are as genuine as possible, which whilst ebay's rating system is not perfect it is very good.

Finally are you happy for any forum to be used just to sell and not engage, surely a forum like this is to "join in", if all you want to do is sell use ebay
Old 09-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yep Jeremy, I do agree with you.
I have been here a long time and there are numerous members that join only to sell and you never hear from them again.
Look at the members list and see how many members actually say nothing.
That is their choice i suppose, but I reckon the minimum posts before selling should be at least 30 plus.

Leon
30 posts that are not just to earn brownie points but genuine "being part" of the forum
Old 10-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Hmmm

Ebay is full of honest people, there is almost no such thing as phone scams, people are almost never conned, "in a dream world!"

I don't know what you are on but did I mention EBAY? I SAID 99% of the people IN THIS FORUM can be trusted. Don't put words in people's mouths.

You are on the pther side of the world and know not what we do here when buying and selling mate so a little bit of thinking before speaking ok?
Old 10-02-2020, 07:29 PM
bobson (Bob)

Plato,

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Cheers

Bob
Old 10-02-2020, 07:57 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
....Not a good reason to use IIS I don't think, no interest in the forum just posting in order to sell ???.
Excellent point Jeremy. There should be a commitment to the community over and above blatant self-interest, but that may not be the case here

Best
JA
Old 10-02-2020, 09:20 PM
h0ughy (David)

OK seems like some can't play nice, any idea why, but that is rhetoric. This thread is closed, and I think some folk may need to read the tos to the site again.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/m...p?do=showrules
Closed Thread