Old 15-06-2009, 10:38 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Great minds........... so they say! Hi Jeanette
Old 15-06-2009, 10:39 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You beat me to it Eric.
Don't forget that they also throw in a handful of eyepieces with their scopes as well. Great value.

PS. Look in the Guan Sheng Telescopes section.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Hi, my name is Shell and I've just signed up here. I'm really interested in learning as much as I can about astronomy as I really don't know much at all so far. I've been thinking about investing in a telescope to jump start my interest but decided to slow down and take my time before I buy something I might regret. Seriously considering just a pair of binoculars for now and the star charts I recently bought.

So far this site has been very helpful and I hope to learn a lot more as I keep reading!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Indeed you will learn more, Shell. And ask away, any question, but perhaps move your specific questions into separate threads - start a new one if you need to.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Sab (Sebastian)

Beginner, but not really, but sort of...

Hi All...

So, I've finally joined an astronomy forum. I don't have a telescope, my eyesight is terrible and my knowledge of the cosmos goes as far as what I have learned over the last 29 years of being on this planet.

I've always enjoyed looking at things without having to really learn about them. The funny thing is, over the years of marvelling at the beauty of the universe I've managed to pick up quite a bit...

I aim to rectify the problem of not having a telescope, as soon as I figure out what I want. It seems that until recently, people didn't believe that Dobsonians were any good at astrophotography... and why would they be if they didn't have the ability to track objects?

Which is why i'm very interested in the Skywatcher 10'' Dob WITH tracking and direct DSLR connection... I still haven't worked out if this is a new or old release but it seems to be my exact cup of tea.

Now, I know that some of you might say WAIT! Don't go jumping in the deep end too quickly... But I must warn you, i'm a stubborn person and I won't listen.

So anyway... if anyone has any suggestions as far as decent scope dealers and hardware recommendations, i'd love to hear from you.

Cheers!

Sebastian.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Sab (Sebastian)

Also... If anyone can direct me to a link with a review of any Dobsonians WITH tracking, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:02 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Sab!
My eyesight is up the creek as well. I use a Gstar-ex camera hooked up to a little goto telescope for my observing. The camera is hooked up to my laptop (or a tv if you want, it's an analog camera) and just sit back in a comfy camping chair and watch the cosmos on the screen. It's all in real time too.
What I can see through this little 80mm scope is better than what I could see through the eyepiece of my 10" dob.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Sab (Sebastian)

Hi Jeanette...

I guess my ultimate aim is to attach my camera to the scope and combine my love of photography with my love of astronomy. So the ability to track is a definite requirement.

Since posting my post, I have noticed some very nice images produced with the use of refractor scopes with motorised mounts. I am now down to 60% sure of what I want and this is likely to drop dramatically the longer I learn what is available.

Old 19-07-2009, 03:26 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Indeed you will learn more, Shell. And ask away, any question, but perhaps move your specific questions into separate threads - start a new one if you need to.
Thanks Eric, I appreciate it! And I'll be mindful to use the right forum etiquette
Old 25-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Nightskystargaz (Thomas)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, so I don't how to send a P.M. to one of the members.
Where do I go to view any Mail sent to me ?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 26-07-2009, 06:55 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Tom, Shell and Sebastian (and all the previous new members),

Welcome Tom, to send a PM to another member, click their name in the top left corner of their post. That will display a drop down box with all the options to contact that member. To view your private messages, click "Private Messages" in the top right of the screen under your name.

Hi Shell, welcome! Not jumping in too deep at the start is a wise thought. Binoculars are a perfect way of starting out. And if you can, hook up with a local astro club. Take a look at the club listing: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/clublistings.html or there might be some members who will suggest a good club for you to pop along and pick up some advice and look through a few telescopes!
Old 29-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Quantum629 (Will)
Learning the ways.

Hi all.

Just joined up. I live in Sydney in a spot not too bad for observing. I've got a Celestron Nexstar 8se which I got from York Optical. Who knows Michael from there? My prime interest is in deep sky objects and astrophotography. I was fortunate enough to meet Mike when he did a talk on this field at the Sydney City Sky Watcher's April meeting.

I'm thinking about coming to the IISAC in October.

Looking foward to talking with others here.

Will
Old 29-07-2009, 07:39 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Welcome Will, you have picked up a fine first telescope (I assume it's your first 'scope?). I've read a lot of good reports about the 8SE particularly from many threads on the Cloudy Nights Forum. A very well respected 'scope, the 8SE. Don't expect too much in the wasy of good astrophotography, but the best part of this 'scope is that it the tube (OTA) separates from the single fork mount so you have some great future flexibility.

hoo roo,

Stephen
Old 30-07-2009, 03:29 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Will! to IceInSpace!

I hope you can make it to IISAC2009, look forward to seeing you there!
Old 30-07-2009, 07:17 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Will,

I was at that mtg with Mike Salway etc. ... small world. There's a lot that can be done without too great an expenditure. I hope to see some your efforts posted!

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 30-07-2009, 07:26 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Sebastian,

I think that Goto is an absolute must (unless you are very conversant with the night sky). Whatever else you do, a goto mount will get you started.

And one really good eyepiece with about a 30 arc minute field of view will get you seeing things that will keep you wanting to look. I have a Meade UWA 18mm on my 8" LX90 and it is just magical.

The other really good thing is a video camera with frame accumulation (e.g. GSTAR, Watec, StellaCam, Mallincam). These things will revolutionise your imaging. I can't say that too much. If you don't have a serious observatory (I don't) and you don't have seriously good cameras then video gets you around the hassles. They won't do everything, but they sure do a lot more than I ever expected.

Disclaimer:- I am still learning myself.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 AM
BajaBahia (Howard)

Hi Folks,

We saw some very nice images in your forum here, taken with the gear that we are trying to use, and we're hoping we might be able to get some help in our attempts.

We are new to using this telescope, and new to Astrophotography-
and are in the process of setting it all up right now in remote Baja, Mexico.

We were assured help from the telescope store that recommended this setup and sold it to us, Oceanside Telescope in California, but that assistance has simply has not been provided to us.
(The Mitty Wedge did not even have the necessary bolts for installation, so it is not in the setup at this time.)

Our two main issues right now are:
1) The camera images are showing up in the computer as only distortion.
2) The telescope is not connecting to the computer at all.

We are also using an 8" Meade LX200RGPS, with a Meade DSI III. Also, a NextGEN Widefield 0.5x Telecompressor, and a NextGEN MAXfield mounting plate #17392 - 2.05 (both by Optec). The DSI III is connected to an XP partition on a MacBook Pro via USB 2, and we're using the AutoStar software that came with the camera. (All except the scope were bought new two weeks ago.)

The camera and photographic image are appearing in the AutoStar software, but we're not getting much more than an amorphic pixilated blob. Regardless of focus adjustments I've tried so far.

By night or day testing.
Terrestrially by day- aiming at a wall down the bay, or aiming at Jupiter by night.

Any tips or info that you could refer us to on the specifics of the setup of one of these systems would be a great help to us.

Also, we have been unsuccessful in connecting the telescope to the computer.
(We tested each of these separately: a MacBook Pro running Windows XP running AutoStar, and a Mac Powerbook G4 running Starry Night.)

There is no sign of actual connection to the telescope via the Serial to USB convertor.
Both Starry Night and AutoStar software do not sense it.

We were supplied with a cable that is RS232 to RJ11 (Standard phone type connection)
(I think it is perhaps not the correct cable for this use ?)

The only RJ11 port on our Meade LX200GSP is the HBX port, for the AutoStar II handset.

I also tried the Serial to USB convertor > the HBX port.
That didn't work either.

Since all information we have found indicate using the telescope's RS232 ports for computer connection to the software, I've connected the RS232 end of the adapter, to the telescope via a cable which is RS232 on both ends.
This attempt was also unsuccessful.

At this point, we have no way of knowing if the Convertor is bad,
or the Adapter is bad.
Or the Cabling is bad (though I have tried all available cables).
Or if the RS232 ports on the telescope are bad.
(The scope was thoroughly vetted by the techs before we brought it here.)

Or some special Drivers are required, of which we have no information.
(All the software has been carefully installed as per their instructions.)

Any and all help sincerely welcome.
Thanks to all for your time.

Howard
Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 PM
shane (Shane)

New user- scope wasting away

Hi All,
I have just registered so a bit about myself may be called for.
I have a 10" G.S. Dob and have had it for about 1(maybe 2) years and have not used it seriously at all.... I really enjoy looking at it though?? does that count?
Hopefully, speaking to everyone here might help me actually use my scope..
Um..thats it for now.
Regards, Shane
Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Shane

Welcome!

Well we can talk a lot, but it's easier if someone shows you how to use your scope.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Welcome Shane