Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Are you using Vista or Win 7? With XP there are no issues and it works straight away. Unless they have updated their installer in the last week.

Greg.
I use both vista 32 and win 7 64 Greg with no problems but I use maxim. I used the installer available about 2 months ago so no magic either. My guess is they want you to use maxim not the sbig stuff .

Mark
Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I am pretty sure that fli did update their drivers recently, up untill about 4 months ago, they did not have a flidriver for 64bit. And dont think maxim is the cure all for running smoothly, its not. I had a hell of a time about a year ago installing libfli.dl with 32bit vista even with maxim. It was not anything to do with maxim, it was more to do with ascom/windows not registering the driver. Frustratingly fli's answer to how do I get this to work was 'join the fli yahoo group'. I wouldnt have minded so much if they had given me a link on where to look, rather than trawl thorough for hours trying to find what I was looking for.

The new 64 bit driver 'fliusb64' installed on my 64bit vista laptop without any difficulties with the os/ascom. I think they ironed out the bugs with this one. I think the lesson here folks is get a 64 bit system to run your observatories, as most astro companies have now written 64bit drivers that do not seem to have the issues with older 32 bit drivers. I now run my complete observatory with a 64 bit machine, and it took a whole lot less time to setup than the last 32 bit system.

As a side note, I now use ccdsoft rather than maxim, I have not tried to get the focuser to work with ccdsoft. I drive it through focusmax.