Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re Cokin Filters

Just had a look at these Cokin Filtershttp://www.filtershop.com.au/

I can understand a bit more now by looking at these diagrams etc.

Looks like a great set up.

So I need to buy adaptor ring,filter holder.and then the filter to slide in.

What filters are you guys using around sunset,just after sunset?

Also I can see what Humayan means by just holding the filter over lens.I got the impression that he felt this more desirable,-what's the reasoning here.

I hope to get to get to a photography shin-dig and see this gear before I purchase.

In the mean time I have been studying HDR-looks great!,and DDP have ND8 filters for $50 (77mm) at present.

Thanks everyone for help

Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Chris,

With neutral density filters, you don't need HDR. HDR is garish and the software tries to decide what pixel to put where, rather than you having complete control with a filter, and exposing correctly for the foreground.

Holding the filter over the lens allows you to dither it a little bit, which avoids the harsh gradients often seen in photographs taken utilising a neutral density filter, popped into a filter holder.

H
Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re filters

Thanks Humayan.

I can see how some HDR is useful,eg tree in park in middle of day,and someone wanting the sky to look as they see it,and combining 2 or 3 images.

I did see some images,that were way over the top!,and yes-garish is the word.To me they had become digital pictures,-really heading away from photography (IMO).There certainly is a 'grey' area,as to what is a photograph.

I did read a hear,some of these HDR images have been really slammed lately too.

With regard to the Cokin Filters,this would be they way I would like to head,like yourself,I try to do as much as possible 'in camera'.

When you hold the filters-how far do you hold the away from lens?Do you take a image,have a look,then think-hmmm hold it further away,take another image,hold it a bit higher or lower as you see fit?

Certainly save same dollars on those bracket bits,if one can use the filters to the same,or better effect.

Thanks again,Humayan.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Cokin = waste of money Chris... Bracket and Photoshop - it's the way of the future!

My 2 cents worth - which in this age of rounding equals nothing!

DT
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur
I can see how some HDR is useful,eg tree in park in middle of day,and someone wanting the sky to look as they see it,and combining 2 or 3 images.
It doesn't work. It does not resemble reality in the slightest. It's an effect (clown vomit filter) that is overly used and is the single greatest way to lay waste to the thousands of dollars invested in hardware and glass. If the goal is to present what the eye sees in the middle of the day with the sun shining, there's not much hope of a camera capturing that range. Blending manually or using filters to hold elements of a composition back is the best way to realise this goal.

As for filter positioning, do the relevant maths to work out which filter you need, dial in your desired aperture, pop up Live View (I've enabled Exposure Simulation on my 5D Mark II, not sure if the other cameras have it), press the depth-of-field preview button to place the filter in the appropriate spot, and shoot.

H

Last edited by Octane; 06-11-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Humayun - what models were the two GND Cokin filters of yours we used on the beach the other evening? One was highly graduated and the other a sharper step. I might wander down to Wollongong to the Filter Shop and investigate today.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
hotspur (Chris)

test shots

I had time for a few basic test images this morning,out near the observatory.

The first two images at 12 mm,the next two at 10 mm.I hope to get a chance soon to put the circular polarizer filter on and use it,and see what results a like.

Look forward to some night sky shots with this lens.Hopefully later next week we might get a chance to see the shuttle go over,and try for a photo of it.

I hope Humayan can post the model number of those filters 'Omaroo' asks about.

Cheers Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3929.jpg)
200.0 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3930.jpg)
200.3 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3942.jpg)
193.4 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3949.jpg)
190.0 KB9 views