Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Nikon D2Xs Camera selection advice, sorry.

I promise this is the last time I ask. It is just so confusing after reading so many reviews. The more I read, the more confusing it seems to get.

I have come to the decision that I can't wait for/afford a 400d. I have been snookered out of several deals on these over the last few months...

I was wondering if there were any Nikon users out there that would / would not back the Nikon D2Xs. Is this a semi-professinal camera? Or am I just blowing cash on something I can't use. What is the D2Xs marketed as the equivilant in canon.... (I know they are not as good, just wondering, amateur, semi pro, pro)

I need it for general daytime nature shots and astrophotography, prodominently wide field milkyway shots. I have CCD cameras for planetary and neb's.

I know there are a lot of variables to my request, I guess basically I am asking does that camera just really suck, or is it ok for said purposes...

Edit~ Ok, it doesn't take the full frame. Still, waiting on responces though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nikon.JPG)
28.1 KB16 views

Last edited by Lumen Miner; 04-08-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen Miner View Post
What is the D2Xs marketed as the equivilant in canon.... (I know they are not as good, just wondering, amateur, semi pro, pro)
Wow. Where did you hear "they're not as good" Mitchell? If you've found a Nikon D2X going for less than a Canon 400D - please let me know!!! As new, the D2X was worth ten times (literally) what a 400D could be had for brand new.

The D2X is was released in direct competition to Canon's EOS-1D Mark II, and stiff competition amongst top pros is what it gave. It's a superb camera - absolutely professional quality - in a totally different eschelon to the 400D. Please don't automatically make assumptions that Canon are somehow generally "better" than Nikon because it's a lot more complex than that. They are the two brands at the top of the tree, and in many ways are the equivalent of each other. They've both been around since the earlier half of the 20th century, and Nikon started and won the pro race with the Nikon F in 1959. This was their first SLR and it took the professional world by storm - and really made its name in the ultra-tough correspondent arena in the Vietnam era. Leica lost its shirt over this camera. Canon played, and was sick of playing for many years, second fiddle to the F-series Nikons with their own "Flex" (first Canon SLR in 1959) and subsequent FX-series in the mid 60's. I still have my late 60's Nikon F Photomic and would never part with it. I still to this day think that Nikons are more solid, and feel better in my hand than any Canon - but others will say exactly the same of Canon. They're both brilliantly engineered. To counter that though, I've had three Canon cameras totally fail on me over time - two mechanically and one electronically, while all three of my Nikon bodies have never once had a problem - ever. There will be others who will, predictably, disagree! LOL!

Both Nikon and Canon have their professional lovers and detractors - each the same, and they are constantly leap-frogging each other in some particular technology. Some say that Canon are caught up in the "pixel race", and consider that a marketable trait - whereas Nikon never really entered that race and preferred to think that lower pixel densities led to better noise performance. It's all very subjective and anyone arguing a point for one brand will meet equal resistance from someone in regards to the other. Nikons recent cameras (D300, and full-frame D700, D3, etc) are testament to this in many ways. Don't get me wrong though - I have a heap of respect for the high-end Canons too - I'd love a 1D-MkII, III or 5D MkII. They're top notch in anyones book. Some prefer Canons landscape treatment, whilst others (like me) much prefer Nikons faithful colour. Horses for courses, like anything.

Given that, the D2X is now an old camera - released in Jan 2005 or thereabouts for around $10,000. It's high ISO performance probably isn't up to the modern cameras in terms of its usefulness for astro work, but it's still one of the best terrestrial cameras in the world. It's new replacement, the D3X has just been released recently and it's a $12,500 dollar camera.

As good as it is, it's probably not the camera for you though. If you had a bunch of Nikon lenses you'd want one for terrestrial use - brilliant! I'd certainly have one in a heartbeat to go with my 13 Nikkor Ai lenses. For astro work, I'd be looking for a consmer-level Canon camera like a 400D or 450D and a kit lens or two. Comparatively cheap, and admittedly a better choice for what you want of it here for astro. More people use them because they do perform better in low-light, high ISO ranges than older Nikons did, and consequently there's more software, hardware (clip-in filters, etc) and astronomy-related support than there was for Nikon. I run a 350D myself for the bulk of my astro work - so go figure. I still prefer my entry-level Nikon D40 for shots of the Moon though - hands down gives me a better picture than my Canon.

Seriously - where did you see a D2X for near 400D prices? I want!

Last edited by Omaroo; 04-08-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Wow. Where did you hear "they're not as good" Mitchell? If you've found a Nikon D2X going for less than a Canon 400D - please let me know!!! As new, the D2X was worth ten times (literally) what a 400D could be had for brand new.

"they're not as good" I could probably site 100 references to this. I could also then, reference 110 more that said the opposite... I was generally speaking to the Canon users here, as I thought most would be. Hence I was sort of stroking the ego, as to not just get flamed with. "NO CANON IS BEST GET ONE" I know they are as good and better in some areas, that's why I was going to buy the Nikon.... I have a Nikon SLR sitting next to me also.

Gumtree had one listed for $700. I would of had a knowledgable friend come with me, on pick-up to scrutinize it for problems... as 700 is way to low, but heck they were in Sydney, so...

Listing was removed 2 hours later. Bugger didn't even reply to say sorry, wrong listing price. Hasn't gone back up yet, so maybe it sold. I would have been the first to PM the seller though. So I think they got the price wrong, i'm guessing...

Thanks for you advice once again!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

LOL! OK - sounds like a horribly honest mistake or it was sold in a flash then.

Wow - $700 for a D2X.... dream..... hmmm.....
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
LOL! OK - sounds like a horribly honest mistake or it was sold in a flash then.

Wow - $700 for a D2X.... dream..... hmmm.....
WoW!! I just got an email from him.... No, it's back on!!

He's keen to sell, apparently his business is failing, needs cash....

I am still not totally convinced it is legitimate though...

Is there anything I should be particulary cautious of with that model camera? It sounds like for that price something is burnt out, or he is really desperate for cash...

Last edited by Lumen Miner; 04-08-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Turn it on - take a lens with you and give it a go. If you get an image, then go for it. For that money I'd get one even if the shutter assembly needed replacing tomorrow. If you don't - let me know...please! I've seen some go on eBay for around the $2,200 mark recently - but they were reasonably ratty examples.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Gumtree is rife with fake and fraudulent ads. Be very, very careful.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

Regards,
Humayun
Never heard of it Humayun - what is it? Is it a wannabe eBay? I guess that if you can handle the goods before you buy it'd be OK - but otherwise, hmmm....
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:

Regards,
Humayun
Some good advice. Although by nature, it is hard to be "very,very careful." as someone in-experienced in all aspects of the camera.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Mitchell, get right onto it ASAP and one of our IIS camera experts may be able to give their mobile number so you can call while you are with the Nikon fella.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Never heard of it Humayun - what is it? Is it a wannabe eBay? I guess that if you can handle the goods before you buy it'd be OK - but otherwise, hmmm....
Yes it is pretty much. But no auctions just buy now prices... It is AU based also... Most users prefer not to post rather Pick up only. I would want it in my hands first before paying.... I'm not stoopid.

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
Mitchell, get right onto it ASAP and one of our IIS camera experts may be able to give their mobile number so you can call while you are with the Nikon fella.
That would be terrific, if it was possible.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Omaroo or Octane, can you help with a mobile #
Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I would, but I don't even know how to turn a Nikon camera on. I'm a Canon fanboy through and through.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
I would, but I don't even know how to turn a Nikon camera on. I'm a Canon fanboy through and through.

Regards,
Humayun
There's a switch marked "on" Humayun..... Sheesh!

PM sent Mitchell...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
There's a switch marked "on" Humayun..... Sheesh!

PM sent Mitchell...
Thanks Chris, I won't bother you, unless I need too.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

$700 for a D2X?
Not a chance. Leave it. Its horsesh*t. Talking rubbish. Or its stolen.
Even at the current pace of DSLR developement, this is still a great camera.
All you'll be is $700.00 poorer.
If in doubt about an ad:
Ask to pick it up. If the seller prevaricates - its a hoax.
From where was it originally purchased and what's the serial number? No answer or the answer doesn't jibe? Its a hoax.
The seller is happy to send it as gift to avoid import duty? - Its a hoax.
No history of the seller on any of the photo forums or e-bay? Its a...you get the idea.
Why is this man so learned in the ways of on-line purchasing, I hear you cry?
Why should I believe this person whom I've never met and whose spelling is so questionable?
Because by ignoring all the above, I am $1300 the poorer and as such, much the wiser grasshopper!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Concur with Peter.

I got suss when some dude (on Gumtree) was trying to sell a supposed 1Ds Mark III for $2,500, brand new, unopened.

A few emails later revealed the dude to be a fraud.

I asked him a simple question, "Is this camera the yellow dot version?"

He said "yes".

There is no such thing as a yellow dot 1Ds Mark III.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing_Gibbous View Post
$700 for a D2X?
Not a chance. Leave it. Its horsesh*t. Talking rubbish. Or its stolen.
Even at the current pace of DSLR developement, this is still a great camera.
All you'll be is $700.00 poorer.
If in doubt about an ad:
Ask to pick it up. If the seller prevaricates - its a hoax.
From where was it originally purchased and what's the serial number? No answer or the answer doesn't jibe? Its a hoax.
The seller is happy to send it as gift to avoid import duty? - Its a hoax.
No history of the seller on any of the photo forums or e-bay? Its a...you get the idea.
Why is this man so learned in the ways of on-line purchasing, I hear you cry?
Why should I believe this person whom I've never met and whose spelling is so questionable?
Because by ignoring all the above, I am $1300 the poorer and as such, much the wiser grasshopper!

I have already told him I think he is sus, and cancelled the deal.

He started off being in sydney, now he is overseas and wanted to send it through TNT express. I know $700 hundred is way to cheap, that's why I would never trust that seller, only if I had it in my hand would I part with any money.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen Miner View Post
...I would never trust that seller, only if I had it in my hand would I part with any money.
I had presupposed that you were working on that assumption - along with proof of purchase.