Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 24-05-2015, 12:21 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

NGC6164-5 Ha and O3

I've managed 2 nights in a row when I was able to open the roof for a few hours. I managed about 3 hours of Ha and the same of O3 on this target - the main aim being to see how much of that outer shell of reflection nebula I could grab with a relatively small scope. The scope was an ED127 at f 7.5 and the CCD was an SX_VR H16. I lost a few frames and in the end, the 2 channels ended up about 2 1/2 hours each of 20 minute subs.

The processing is a mess. With just Ha and O3, it became a maganta explosion and taming that was difficult but for what it's worth, here is the end result.

Enjoy (or not).

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC6164_5HaO3_8x20_7x20[w].jpg)
181.2 KB75 views
Old 24-05-2015, 01:03 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Looks good Peter. You have a lot of outer shell there!
Old 24-05-2015, 08:23 AM
gregbradley

You got a lot of detail there and I like the delicate blues. I presume you don't like the browny coloured neb area. How did you create an RGB combine?

Neil Fleming has a formula for bicolour at his website. Its Ha as red, O111 as blue and an artificial O111 x 2 + Ha all divided by 2 using pixel math as green (I think I have the colour assignments right).

That usually gives a very light creamy, very light brown colour which is quit pleasant and leaves the blues intact.

Greg.
Old 24-05-2015, 03:38 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You got a lot of detail there and I like the delicate blues. I presume you don't like the browny coloured neb area. How did you create an RGB combine?

Neil Fleming has a formula for bicolour at his website. Its Ha as red, O111 as blue and an artificial O111 x 2 + Ha all divided by 2 using pixel math as green (I think I have the colour assignments right).

That usually gives a very light creamy, very light brown colour which is quit pleasant and leaves the blues intact.

Greg.
G'day Greg and Kevin. Greg, the rust-coloured Ha is not the best is it? I just did a quick and dirty Red and Blue in PS6 and then a colour-select/magenta/and dropped it to zero. Bit of High Pass layer masking and that was it. I'll give the synthetic green a try and see how it improves it. Might get the red back into some sort of balance.

Peter
Old 24-05-2015, 05:34 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Detail looks good Pete.
Old 24-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

given the scope, thats pretty exceptional indeed!. Shame you dont have a bigger pic to click to.
Old 24-05-2015, 06:56 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very similar FOV to the one I did last year, Peter. Looks like interesting data and worthy of some experimentation on colour. Bi-colour can be just as challenging as full Hubble palette.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-05-2015, 08:29 PM
jase (Jason)

All the details present there Peter. I don't mind the rusty red hue. Would be nice to see a contrasting colour such as a teal or turquoise blue for the OIII shockwave. Really opposites of a colour wheel generally work well together. Great advice from others on creating a bi-colour image and synth green channel too. I hope to see more.
Old 25-05-2015, 09:18 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Nice work Peter that shell is super faint you've brought a fair bit of it out there!

Russ
Old 25-05-2015, 01:09 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I agree with Russell, nice job on the shell there

The colour result is not too bad either especially considering it is only bi colour.

Mike