ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Paramount MX bits?

Hi Everyone,

I know that there's a fair few Paramount MX owners on this forum so I thought I'd ask for some advice please.

I've had mine for about two years now - it's been a solid performer but I want to do some maintenance (replace grease, look at the belts etc) because my PE and tracking are starting to suffer. I'd like to ask if anyone knows where I might be able to get spares for the mount if I need to replace bits?

I have the grease coming from America but don't know where to look for belts. I figure those will be the first things to do, then test and see if I can get an improvement.

Thanks
Simon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (photo compressed.jpg)
82.1 KB44 views
Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Simon,

Personally, unless you see material flaking off the belts I would not replace them. If you do have the original black belts you will most likely see this. The new belts are grey and should last a long time. Certainly feel for any looseness but also do not over tighten!! If you need belts I'd get them directly from Software Bisque. Seriously though I doubt you will need any parts.

There is a video on line showing how to replace the worm block. You need to remove it to properly clean and grease the ring gear. Be careful because the video skips an essential step in the reinstallation, namely adjustment of the 1/4-20 bolts. This is the the literature but not the video. If you don't do the 1/4-20 adjustment you cannot get a good reseating of the worm block into the ring gear.

Please post your before/after results re tracking and PEC. Good luck!

Peter
Old 06-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

There is a wonderful OZ supplier for the MX's SDP brand belts, Small Parts & Bearings:

http://www.smallparts.com.au/

SDP part no.: SDP A 6B16 100 025060
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2015-04-06-07-07-07-1.jpg)
22.4 KB22 views
Old 06-04-2015, 08:41 AM
I like biscuits

Thanks for that Peter, Logan (Hi Logan, still very much enjoying the PMX).

There are no bits falling out of the housing so I'm guessing I won't need replacement belts - but, I'll open up the housing and check when the grease comes in and if I've got black belts then I'll get some replacements. Otherwise I'll give it a clean, get the old grease out and put new grease in, then clean the electronics and re-tension the belts, give it a wipe with a cloth and put it back together again.

Thanks for the tip on what was missed out in the video. I watched the video this morning. Chris makes it look easy!

Out of interest, I did do a PEC experiment around November of 2013 and ended up with the curve you see attached to this post. About the best tracking I've had is less than 1/2 pixel correction - but that was exceptional seeing and was in January 2014. It's held that solidly now for some time, but over the last 6 months has introduced more errors. Last session, I was getting over 3 pixel fluctuation fairly regularly and that makes me think I've got some backlash or dirt in the grease or something. Could also be the scope, but the mount needs a service anyway so I'll do that first and come back.

It will probably take a month for the grease to come to me, hopefully that will be good timing so I can do the cleaning (while the mount is warm so the grease spreads evenly) and another t-point run then PEC experiment in winter when we get better seeing here than other months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (30 Nov ComputedPEC.jpg)
89.5 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (screenshot.jpg)
202.6 KB44 views
Old 06-04-2015, 09:22 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Also, the Super Lube recommended as THE grease is actually available in Australia - you don't need to import it from the USA.

http://www.mektronics.com.au/brands/super-lube.html

Although, I have found the Inox brand electronics grease with PTFE just as good and cheaper, and made here.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 AM
frolinmod

Superlube is not recommended by Software Bisque for use with their mounts.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:53 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yes, you are right.

I recall one mount manufacturer recommended Super Lube though - I thought it was Bisque.

Anyhow, the Lubriplate recommended by Bisque IS available here too without issue.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Paul Haese

Lightbulb

Simon, might I suggest you use prempro for doing your PE. I found using the PE software in the SkyX, give very inconsistent results and could be causing your results.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
Superlube is not recommended by Software Bisque for use with their mounts.
Exactly. They recommend Lubriplate Motor Oil Assembly Grease...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:19 AM
I like biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Simon, might I suggest you use prempro for doing your PE. I found using the PE software in the SkyX, give very inconsistent results and could be causing your results.
Actually that's a good idea Paul - I was relying on TheSKyX but was skeptical when the PE curve showed such a small amount of error. I know the mount is good but was expecting somewhere around 5, not 2.5 - 3. I think I also need to improve my focus - although looking at your latest image post here you're setting the bar very very high! I've been using Nebulosity and trying to manually guage sharpness. I think I'll try @Focus2 for a bit - but have some other questions which will no doubt require a post outside of this equipment discussion forum. I know you use FocusMax with MaximDL.

So, PemPro will get a workout soon I think.

Logan - you're using an AP1600 now!?! Decided again a ME II?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I like biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Exactly. They recommend Lubriplate Motor Oil Assembly Grease...
Yes, specifically Lubriplate 105, which has things in it like Zinc Oxide and rare-earth albino baby seal blubber giving magical anti-ceasing properties. Ahem, that last bit isn't strictly true but finding that brand in Australia hasn't been easy! Here's where I started (http://www.kennysholdenspares.com.au...?productid=358) and they didn't have any (despite advertising it). I went for the easiest option (ebay).
Old 06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Let me second what Paul has said re PEMpro. I personally think TSX is busted for use in the Southern Hemisphere and I could never get any improvement in PEC using it for either my MX or MEII. But, with PEMpro I got my MX to go from 3 arc-sec error to around .6 arc-sec. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your uncorrected PEC was around 3-4 arc-sec. With a good correction you can do very well.

Actually you might want to use PEMpro before doing any maintenance at all. When you did your last PEC what was/is your correction using the curve you posted? I don't think looking at guiding corrections is a reliable way to tell if PEC is working or not given that guiding can often compensate for PE. Your guiding errors could be due to any combination of factors such as seeing, aggressiveness, exposure length, guider resolution, etc. I think PEC needs to be measured with guiding off.

Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 06-04-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM
gregbradley

Maintenance is fine but I would not necessarily assume PE has worsened because of dirt, grease or grit.

I think an indicator of grit would be a PE spike where the guide corrections suddenly jump very high.

I think its more likely your Polar Alignment has deteriorated.

Even when mounted on a permanent pier, soils can change with different climatic environments. The mount can be bumped numerous times throwing things off.

I would do a 40 point recalibration of your TPoint model and do a super model and read the polar alignment report to see how accurate that is.

Also things like balance greatly affect guide accuracy. How well balanced is your scope at the angles you often image at (not horizontal)?

I did have some grit in one of my PMX worms and it caused a repeating spike every few minutes.

By the way your PEC curve looks remarkably like the one I just recently did on my PMX using Pempro.

Are you using direct guide or a guide cable?

Greg.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileys2611 View Post
Yes, specifically Lubriplate 105 ... I went for the easiest option (ebay).
Same. I was unable to source it locally. Flebay. Mr Braddley ended up with mine (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ght=lubriplate) as AP recommend AeroShell No.33 Synthetic Universal Airframe Grease! This hobby is nuts...
Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
... you're using an AP1600 now!?! Decided again a ME II?
Yeah.. No, I definitely didn't decide against the ME2. I was all for it, but I was really curious about the APs. I actually intended on getting a 900GTO from the beginning, even before I got the MX, but was notified that the 900 and 1200s were being phased out, so I went with SB. Fast forward a few years, and with news of the updated 1100 and 1600s, I gave them a shot! I'd buy another SB without hesitation. People are getting some wonderful results with the MyT. Would love one
Old 06-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I like biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Maintenance is fine but I would not necessarily assume PE has worsened because of dirt, grease or grit.

By the way your PEC curve looks remarkably like the one I just recently did on my PMX using Pempro.

Are you using direct guide or a guide cable?

Greg.
All excellent suggestions Greg, thanks. I'll definitely re-do the calibration though. The report when I last did (about two years ago) it said 1 minute out on both axis (good enough but not excellent) so it's fitting that I do a re-calibration. In my case things may have slipped more than soil moving - otherwise the entire water tank might be sliding towards the house and heaven help me if that's the case! But metal bits might have moved over time so your advice is definitely timely.

I'm using direct guide on my setup - I found that while pulse guiding worked ok for ... forgotten the name now, that software you can use for guiding! Umm...I think it's PHD, anyway, it worked ok but I was getting better results using direct guide.

And that's an odd coincidence that you have the same curve...of course nothing is a coincidence so it's curious...
Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I like biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Let me second what Paul has said re PEMpro. I personally think TSX is busted for use in the Southern Hemisphere and I could never get any improvement in PEC using it for either my MX or MEII. But, with PEMpro I got my MX to go from 3 arc-sec error to around .6 arc-sec.

Peter

Whaa?!!? If I could see anything like that as a correction after applying a curve I think I'd do a highland jig. However, I will definitely give it a go with PEMpro ... when I get a break from the darn clouds to give it a go!

I share the sentiment about it being busted for southern hemisphere. I've read many of the posts on SBs forums and they don't seem to be able to directly answer questions about PEC for the south. Lots of questions answered about the north. Us poor cousins.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I like biscuits

Update on this. My grease hasn't arrived yet, but the GSO RC12" has! So, I haven't forgotten about posting PEC results post maintenance - but will do after maintenance + commissioning the RC with adapters, camera, OAG etc etc etc. This hobby is nuts!
Old 22-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Update on this. My grease hasn't arrived yet, but the GSO RC12" has! So, I haven't forgotten about posting PEC results post maintenance - but will do after maintenance + commissioning the RC with adapters, camera, OAG etc etc etc. This hobby is nuts!
LOL, the pain has only just begun.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:01 PM
I like biscuits

The thread on the back is 117mm x 1mm right? Has anyone come up with a set of adapters for these to mate the takahashi collimating scope on the back? Or a moonlite?