Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 AM
bugeater (Marty)

New observatory first light

So I took the new observatory and pier out for its sea trials last night (construction documented here -http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=139005&page=2) and so far, so good. Really all I did was do some polar alignment, which seemed to go well (apart from the usual troubles I have with the guidecam and OAG). I just used PHD's drift alignment function and got a pretty nice flat line in both axis'. I'll go through the procedure again, but it's a nice feeling to think once I get it nailed I won't have to worry too much about it anymore.

Also started setting up and saving a pointing model (or whatever it is called) in Eqmod. Didn't really take any shots, since the clouds started to appear, but no rush really.

Only issues I came across were the dewcap/shield thing hitting the sides of the shed (guess I'll need a shorter one or program limits into eqmod) plus I didn't account for the fact you loose some height when pointing in certain directions due to the configuration of the mount. It means my field of view isn't as great as I expected, but it will do for now. In particular I have a good view north (due to the steepness of the hill), but can't point to the horizon due to the height of the pier. Fortunately, since I made my own pier, another $80 worth of steel and an afternoon or two means I can just make a taller one.

Closing up was also so much easier. Set it up to park in the right configuration, remove the cameras and laptop then haul the roof shut (I've a rope to pull it over) and I'm done.

Remaining things to do are to seal around the base of the shed, work out the dewcap issue, get my arduino focuser built and work out how to get networking to the shed (wifi doesn't make it). Eventually a taller pier too, but no rush on that.

I'm pretty happy so far, though it's been a lot of work to get to this point.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice work Marty, it is looking good and clear weather ahead this weekend! what size tube are you using? 8" f5?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Yeah its a 200mm f/5. I was considering getting a RC8 at some point, but now I'm thinking something with a shorter focal length may be the go, since I'd like to do narrowband to deal with all the light pollution.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

It is so nice to be able to walk out, power up and be ready to go in minutes ain't it ?

I found I use my setup at least 10 x more often than previously. It's nice even just to go out there and do some maintenance, adjustments or alignment tests etc even if its cloudy. Another advantage is I have had more time to build and test optical systems and setups as I don't have to setup each time. So you get to improve your equipment more and try new systems out.

Horizons are overrated I find . My lowest practical altitude is about 30* but I am in suburbia, LP just destroys anything below that. My southern view is the best and most important and everything passes overhead eventually.

Enjoy your new man cave ...
Old 17-02-2016, 09:14 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Alas! I thought I was mostly finished on the building aspect of the observatory, with the base siliconed around the outside, but it is not to be. The water still found a route in, but now had its way out blocked.

My hypothesis is that it has made its way under the U channel at the base of the wall via the ends of the channel. These aren't easy to seal, since they go under the wall, plus I left the ends open to let the water drain out.

I sealed the outside base so water wouldn't sit under the channel, damaging the flooring. Doing the inside would keep the inside dry, but would probably stay damp under the channel for a lot of winter.

As a first attempt at a fix I'll probably solidly silicone up the ends of the channels, both inside the shed and out, and drill a drainage hole in each on the outside. Hopefully that will prevent water from getting under the channel via their ends and fix the problem. I just need things to dry out before I can do it. An alternative will be to fill the outside channel with something like expanding foam, but I'm guessing that will look a bit messier.

On the plus side the roof leaks were easily fixed with a bit of silicone around each of screws on the outside.

Hope this helps with anyone else putting together one of the Absco sheds.