Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 23-05-2012, 12:49 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Only the science classes will be taking the time off class, the rest of the school will be able to take a look if they wish, during lunch break.
I'm thinking that Pin Hole Projection will be the way to go. To keep them busy while waiting to take their turn at the scope.
I wish I had a PST to use as well.
Old 23-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Adelaide supply of Baader Astrosolar

I'm hearing that some stocks of Astrosolar film are running low (who would have figured that! haha) but I just bought some from Twin City Cameras (also trade as Adelaide Optical Centre) on Grenfell St and they seemed to have a bit left still.

They sell it for $50 but if you buy it over the web prices approach that anyway with postage costs, plus delivery time, so if you're in Adelaide and need some in a hurry check them out. Since they know me quite well mention my name and they MAY give you a few bucks off (not guaranteed)! (I don't receive any benefit from this, only friendly banter from the staff when I head into the shop! ).

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 24-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
I just had a phone call from my boys High School, and they have decided that they would love to have me set up for the Transit.
I had a bit of a whinge about it on FB and one of my friends who works in admin at the school saw it, and she gave them a serve. LOL
Great to hear!!!
Old 24-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Liz

This is a great site to see how the Transit will occur in your area - I think it was from Ron on FB - click on the map, or just put in your coordinates.
http://www.sunaeon.com/venustransit/#

Also, I had forgotton about good old Stellarium, which will show you how the transit will progress.

the image is for 11.20 am in Townsville -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.JPG)
16.2 KB19 views
Old 24-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
I dropped in at my kids High School yesterday to find out what they will be doing for the Transit and if they'd like me to set up my gear so the students can see this very rare astronomical event.
The Science teacher said they are doing nothing about the Transit, and no they don't need a telescope, thank you and good bye.
I got the same result at our local school, and I even had a lesson plan ready for them to use, 3 scopes, viewing glasses and pinhole cards for the students to make and use.

I can't believe they are not taking advantage of a literally once in a lifetime event.

I'm keeping my kids home for the morning, they will learn more here if the weather is clear.
Old 24-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

My filter arrived. Not a scratch or dent to be found.

The box says Mylar but the information sheet mentions AstroSolar film.

Either way, I'm glad it is here!

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.

H
Old 24-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
My filter arrived. Not a scratch or dent to be found.

The box says Mylar but the information sheet mentions AstroSolar film.

Either way, I'm glad it is here!

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.

H
You will know by how the Sun looks at the eyepiece. The Mylar gives a very slight blue tint to the Sun whilst the Baader provides a true white light view. Both types will do the job.
Old 24-05-2012, 07:48 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I got the same result at our local school, and I even had a lesson plan ready for them to use, 3 scopes, viewing glasses and pinhole cards for the students to make and use.

I can't believe they are not taking advantage of a literally once in a lifetime event.

I'm keeping my kids home for the morning, they will learn more here if the weather is clear.
I'm sorry you got that reaction. It hurts on a few different levels doesn't it.
I hope you and the kids enjoy the experience anyway. At least you arent tied down now if the weather in inclement. You'll be able to pack the kids and scope in the car and go on a Transit chase.
Old 25-05-2012, 04:44 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There's now an embedded animation/simulation in the article (courtesy of SunAeon) that will show you what the transit will look like from your location.
Old 26-05-2012, 10:57 AM
psyke777

Anyone arranging a get-together for Sydney people?
Old 27-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Scopie (Brad)

Day off

I've taken the 6th off and will be watching from (at this stage) 60% sunny Perth thru the 5cm apeture hole in my 16" dob. Just glued my film over the inside of the mirror cover and plan to observe the sun frequently from now on. Seems silly doesn't it? All that apeture masked off...

I tested the film last weekend and observed the excellent grouping of sunspots in 13mm and 9mm, though at 9mm the view had definitely softened. Its amazing how much the sun disturbs the air!
Old 28-05-2012, 12:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

Looking at the weather forecast for Newcastle it no longer seems an option to stay at home (bugger have things just about setup). I will be monitoring the situation and make a decision on Friday as to the action to be taken – because I will have to book a ticket. I have looked at the forecast for Alice Springs, Adelaide, Brisbane and Dubbo, Melbourne, Rockhampton with only two possible fly to destinations available – Alice Springs and Brisbane.

This means I have to rethink my whole strategy as to capturing the transit. I might look at a zoom video camera as something light to put on the polarie and take the lunt with the dmk41 to put on the astrotrac. Battery power and weight……..if I make the plunge for a flight will have to go night before and then find a spot near the airport to do the viewing from so can get back on the flight home…..seems like I have done this before…..?

Astrotrac and the polarie both run on AA batteries – take two laptops and battery backup may get me through the day..

the thrill of the chase - i think not
Attached Files
File Type: pdf newcastleforecastjune.pdf (241.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf brisbanechances.pdf (239.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf alice springs prediction.pdf (216.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf graftonweather prediction transit.pdf (247.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by h0ughy; 28-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 28-05-2012, 01:20 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Being bold making weather predictions this far out Houghy, personally I think I will sit tight knowing I have the Wednesday off and can drive after work Tuesday if it is looking that bad.

Sutherland Astronomical Society will be holding an open day for anyone interested in viewing the transit through members or Society telescopes. More details on www.sasi.net.au. That is my plan at the moment to be there on the day helping out and viewing the transit with other members if sydney's weather co-operates.

Clear skies to you all for the day.

Wayne
Old 28-05-2012, 01:28 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
Being bold making weather predictions this far out Houghy, personally I think I will sit tight knowing I have the Wednesday off and can drive after work Tuesday if it is looking that bad.

Sutherland Astronomical Society will be holding an open day for anyone interested in viewing the transit through members or Society telescopes. More details on www.sasi.net.au. That is my plan at the moment to be there on the day helping out and viewing the transit with other members if sydney's weather co-operates.

Clear skies to you all for the day.

Wayne
Na not bold - practical. if you dont plan for the contingencies......
Old 28-05-2012, 05:12 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Fingers crossed...

Look at this forecast for Oberon! Venus day is the best so far... but the fact that rain is forecast on the days either side of it has me worried. 102mm in 24hrs just 2 days before...

Time will tell.

BTW... if it turns out conditions are good here, your welcome to visit for the day, Dave! I'll be here one way or the other...

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (120606Forecast.jpg)
96.0 KB32 views
Old 28-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Thanks for posting the weather info Houghy. I hope we all get clear skies.
Old 28-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Advice Please

For some reason I am having trouble visualising the ingress and egress areas when looking through the filtered 12" Newtonian.

I must be spatially challenged?

I resorted to using Starry Night and Paint to put these cheat sheets together. The goal is to magnify the correct area of the Sun for taking video of Venus as it passes through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th contacts. The images with the text in the correct orientation are the natural views and the other images are what I should see through the eyepiece.

Has anyone else been through this exercise?

Are these screen grabs correct for the location of Venus through the eyepiece?

Thanks,
Stu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Transit 1st 0815 Natural View.jpg)
75.5 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 1st 0815 Newtonian.jpg)
74.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 2nd 0834 Natural View.jpg)
75.1 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 2nd 0834 Newtonian.jpg)
74.4 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 3rd 1425 Natural View.jpg)
75.3 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 3rd 1425 Newtonian.jpg)
74.7 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 4th 1442 Natural View.jpg)
75.2 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (Transit 4th 1442 Newtonian.jpg)
74.9 KB22 views
Old 29-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Poita (Peter)

You're welcome to come visit us in Mudgee if you want to make the drive.
I have that newfangled 240V power fitted to the house and everything

_peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Looking at the weather forecast for Newcastle it no longer seems an option to stay at home (bugger have things just about setup). I will be monitoring the situation and make a decision on Friday as to the action to be taken – because I will have to book a ticket. I have looked at the forecast for Alice Springs, Adelaide, Brisbane and Dubbo, Melbourne, Rockhampton with only two possible fly to destinations available – Alice Springs and Brisbane.

This means I have to rethink my whole strategy as to capturing the transit. I might look at a zoom video camera as something light to put on the polarie and take the lunt with the dmk41 to put on the astrotrac. Battery power and weight……..if I make the plunge for a flight will have to go night before and then find a spot near the airport to do the viewing from so can get back on the flight home…..seems like I have done this before…..?

Astrotrac and the polarie both run on AA batteries – take two laptops and battery backup may get me through the day..

the thrill of the chase - i think not
Old 29-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
I'm sorry you got that reaction. It hurts on a few different levels doesn't it.
I hope you and the kids enjoy the experience anyway. At least you arent tied down now if the weather in inclement. You'll be able to pack the kids and scope in the car and go on a Transit chase.
Road trip!
Old 29-05-2012, 12:41 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
You're welcome to come visit us in Mudgee if you want to make the drive.
I have that newfangled 240V power fitted to the house and everything

_peter
looking at the forecast Peter i think you will be in the same boat as us on the coast