Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Installing Registax under Windows 10 - MSVCR100.DLL goes walkabout

A few months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Everything worked fine except:

(a) My sound card stopped working
(b) My venerable and much loved Borland C++ Builder decided that it was unregistered. When I tried reinstalling it horror struck. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 claimed that MSVCR100.DLL had disappeared, along with some other DLL's.

Trying to reinstall Visual Studio from the discs, infuriatingly, failed because, wait for it ... MSVCR100.DLL was missing. So it was not a VS problem but a Windows 10 problem.

I restored the system to a recent restore point, and hey, Presto, Visual Studio was working again. I now have to run Borland on a Windows 7 machine.

Yesterday, in a fit of insanity, I installed Registax 6 on my Windows 10 machine. Registax worked (about as well as it ever works - again it is a much loved program, but it does tend to crash). And, yes, you've guessed it, Microsoft Visual Studio said that MSVCR100.DLL was missing.

System restore.
Visual studio working again, but of course no sign of Registax.

Up jumps the squatter, mounted on his throughbred. Norton Antivirus says "Updating one squillion virus signatures ... but RED ERROR PANEL ... running Norton AutoFix. There. Fixed.

MSVCR100.DLL is now missing.
Waaah!

Decided that either it was time to change hobbies, or perhaps Norton tried updating things in a funny order and stuffed up.

System restore (yawn)
Let Norton AutoFix run before doing anything else
Fixed
Visual Studio working fine.
All cured.

(Happy interlude: the attempted installation of Registax 6 was to try registering a stack of ten 16 megapixel images of the moon. It said "0% complete", and half an hour later still said "0% complete." My own Prometheus, never ever designed to stack images of the moon, incredibly just worked, at the default settings, and had it nicely stacked in about 20 seconds. It successfully treated the highlights on small craters as stars :-) ).

The moral of the story seems to be that perchance installing ANY much loved and much trusted pre-Windows-10 32 bit program that does things to the registry (certainly Borland C++ Builder and Registax 6) somehow zaps MSVCR100.DLL and probably several other important DLLS.

Has anyone else experienced MSVCR100.DLL disappearing under similar circumstances?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

A good story MnT.
Reinforces my decision to keep a five year old Windows 7 machine running my observatory.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:40 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

What an adventure. +1. Windows 7 for astro for me. All works well. If it ain't broke... My old laptop still running XP. Works fine for capturing. Also have my two old desktop XP machines running in VMs. Always kept them.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:00 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Has anyone else experienced MSVCR100.DLL disappearing under similar circumstances?
At least 175,000 people have experienced this according to Google
Old 04-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Eggmoon (Geoff)
General all round geek

Taken from the PCAdvisor website in the UK.

How to fix msvcr100.dll is missing error
Step 1: Head to the DLL-Files website and - in the right-hand column - click the Download Zip File button. This is a trusted site, but you can also find the file on other websites, such as Fix4dll. When presented with a list of various versions, choose the one appropriate to your system: 32-bit or 64-bit. Go for the latest version.
Step 2: Unzip the file you just downloaded - double-clicking on the file (which is likely to be in your Downloads folder unless you specified a different download directory) will open it using Windows' built-in support for zip files.
Step 3: Extract the file msvcr100.dll to you the C:\Windows\System32 folder - this assumes you have used the default hard drive letter for Windows. If your system is running 64-bit Windows, also copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. (If that folder doesn't exist, you probably don't have 64-bit Windows.)
Step 4: Launch the application or game that caused the error, and it should now run - or complain that another DLL file is missing. If it still asks for the same file, try rebooting your computer and if that doesn't fix it, then copy msvcr100.dll to the application or game's installation folder in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).
Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmoon View Post
Taken from the PCAdvisor website in the UK.

How to fix msvcr100.dll is missing error
Step 1: Head to the DLL-Files website and - in the right-hand column - click the Download Zip File button. This is a trusted site, but you can also find the file on other websites, such as Fix4dll. When presented with a list of various versions, choose the one appropriate to your system: 32-bit or 64-bit. Go for the latest version.
Step 2: Unzip the file you just downloaded - double-clicking on the file (which is likely to be in your Downloads folder unless you specified a different download directory) will open it using Windows' built-in support for zip files.
Step 3: Extract the file msvcr100.dll to you the C:\Windows\System32 folder - this assumes you have used the default hard drive letter for Windows. If your system is running 64-bit Windows, also copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. (If that folder doesn't exist, you probably don't have 64-bit Windows.)
Step 4: Launch the application or game that caused the error, and it should now run - or complain that another DLL file is missing. If it still asks for the same file, try rebooting your computer and if that doesn't fix it, then copy msvcr100.dll to the application or game's installation folder in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).
You may need to register the dll first for it to work.
Here's the command line to do. Replace Syswow64 with System32 for older OS's.

regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll

Copy and paste into a Command Prompt, should come back with the message "Successful'