ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-01-2008, 11:17 PM
caleb

Post Your ufo Sighting's here

Can every one that has some experience with UFO's/ Aliens, can you post what you saw, date and any other details you can tell.
Old 18-01-2008, 01:56 PM
caleb

why isnt anyone replying
Old 18-01-2008, 02:06 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Well, because I have no experience of extra-terrestrial beings and anything I've seen in the sky that I cannot identify is just that - something I cannot identify because 1) I haven't seen it before or 2) I cannot make it out well enough to identify. So sorry, nothing to report. Maybe, one day?
Old 18-01-2008, 02:15 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

the question has been asked before and not one of us guys and girls with scopes have seen anything??
Old 18-01-2008, 03:16 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Well, ar woz out in the back field when this strange bunch 'o' lights came a spinnin and it woz a hummin' anna beepin'.

Ar called Homer outta the barn to sees it fer himself!

They was some greenish little fellas inside the ve - hickle. I could see the critters.

I pointed ma shotgun at em, and let em have it. Right betwixt the antennae
Old 18-01-2008, 03:39 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpretorius View Post
the question has been asked before and not one of us guys and girls with scopes have seen anything??
Maybe the FOV was too narrow?

Turbo
Old 18-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Caleb, I have a perfect scenario where I am.

1. dark sky and no neighbours for a few kilometres.

2. A glass of red in my hand so nobody will believe me.
3. Always observing late when anyone in the region has gone to bed.

I always have my trusty film Minolta handy with the 350mm zoom lens at the ready
and believe me it will not be out of focus and it will be posted on IIS first unless I've been abducted.

But alas there's nothing to report as yet. I think they know I'm waiting for them.
Old 18-01-2008, 05:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

keep working on your day Job Caleb - no one here but ET
Old 18-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Aussie Pete
Astro Diplomat

Thirty five years staring up all night. All over the world in the strangest places. Never seen anything stranger than what humans can do on a full moon.

There ARE no Alien craft in our backwater galactic neighborhood...sorry.

Pete

Last edited by Aussie Pete; 18-01-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 18-01-2008, 07:05 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I was informed by a UFO buff, that as I don't believe in them I will never see one so no report from me
Ron
Old 18-01-2008, 07:25 PM
leon

never seen one, never will they just don't exist.

leon
Old 18-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Nope, never seen one in 19 years of observing. I have learnt as much as I can so that I understand what I am seeing and everything I've ever seen can be explained easily..

Sometimes I wish I could be around when someone else reckons they can see one so I can share the experience. It's amazing how many people don't know about the bright planets like Venus and Jupiter and even think that bright stars like Sirius near the horizon are ufos.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:06 PM
caleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
keep working on your day Job Caleb - no one here but ET
ARGHH, sorry man. I don't have a day job. And no, i'm not an employed astronomer so I aint got a night job either.
Old 19-01-2008, 01:11 AM
roccodm

Ufo

I think i seen one but i still cant figure out how it got in the jug of tequilla- rocco WB9QPU
Old 19-01-2008, 02:34 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Caleb, you have to admit,

with the amount of amatuer and professional astronomers studying the sky in any given hour and location around the globe: 24/7, 365 nights a year, the public's access to high tech quality video, digital and DSLR cameras, the amount of Radio Telescopes assigned to UFO search, civilian and military radar, etc etc, and NOTHING more than some blurry blobs have ever been forwarded as PROOF?

Apart from radar, SETI, etc, there would be thousands of amateur astronomers around the world looking skyward at any minute of any hour of any day/night.

If these UFO's have been here, they are sneaky buggers coz they have managed to hide from all technology and searching eyes, or have a raygun that puts cameras instantly out of focus.
Old 19-01-2008, 07:37 AM
CoombellKid

I'm usually pretty sceptical about UFO sightings, but Dang! if I didn't see one
in msg#1 & msg#7 and they're kidnapping little smiley faces

perhaps someone could confirm this

regards,CS
Old 19-01-2008, 09:10 AM
mickkk

About 10 years ago, I was chopping wood out the back in Hampon, Vic, it was July and about 6.30pm, pretty dark.

I observed three white/orange lights dropping in formation like flares from an a/c. I watched for a couple of minutes, then they moved west.I thought they were flares, perhaps a exercise over the bay? I ran out the front to get a better view and the change of angle revealed there were 5 of them, clustered in about a handspan at arms length. Maybe 5000ft max IMO based on years of plane spotting.

Unfortunately no camera or PC in those days, but I got a good view from Binos, they appeared to be just lights with no structure around them.

Short of banging on a neighbours door, I had no other witnesses. I watched them move way off to the west horizontally in formation.

I suppose I saw them for 15 minutes all up.

I rang papers etc but there were no other reports.

Later that week the local rag had report of the sighting from a few people.

No one believed me of course.

Some years later I heard kids launched garbage bags with candles suspended below for fun.

Now that could be the explanation, however it doest explain how they got up so high in the first place as it was breezy and a clear sky and I couldnt see "a great big orange garbage bag" through the binos.

It was one of those things you had to see to believe and Ive seen nothing like it before or since.

BTW the brightness was maybe twice that of Venus on a good day.

To my mind, they werent garbage bags as Ive tried to imitate the effect and its hard to generate enough heat to fill a grbage bag with candles suspended below. Once the wind gets going, the whole rig collapses and of course the candles go out.

I know its hard to guage the position of each light in the dark, depth etc, but they remainded in formation and didnt waver. Over 15 minutes if they were a man made prank, the relative position of some of them to the others would have changed.

I reckon they appeared over the Mornington Peninsula , perhaps a bit south, moved west and I lost sight of them maybe Geelong way. I doubt any non powered thing could have remained at the same height and travelled at that speed.

I reckon they travelled 50k in 15 minutes, thats 200kph.

It was either a very complicated elaborate hoax or a UFO.

If it was a hoax, I would have expected the hoaxers to call the radio, TV etc to get some exposure and excitement happening.
Old 19-01-2008, 03:23 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkk View Post
Now that could be the explanation, however it doest explain how they got up so high in the first place as it was breezy and a clear sky and I couldnt see "a great big orange garbage bag" through the binos.

To my mind, they werent garbage bags as Ive tried to imitate the effect and its hard to generate enough heat to fill a grbage bag with candles suspended below. Once the wind gets going, the whole rig collapses and of course the candles go out.
Hi Mick,

those flying bags are very easy to make and a lot of fun. I have made a lot of them and even shown my boys! (but they can cause bushfires, so not a hot weather activity).

Don't use a large Garbage Bag. Use the ones they give you in supermarkets for your groceries. And you only use a small 'Tea Candle'. If you can't get Tea candles small enough, a cotton ball soaked in metho works even better!

They float up extremely high until you can't see them any more, or get carried away by the wind.
Old 19-01-2008, 10:26 PM
caleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkk View Post
About 10 years ago, I was chopping wood out the back in Hampon, Vic, it was July and about 6.30pm, pretty dark.

I observed three white/orange lights dropping in formation like flares from an a/c. I watched for a couple of minutes, then they moved west.I thought they were flares, perhaps a exercise over the bay? I ran out the front to get a better view and the change of angle revealed there were 5 of them, clustered in about a handspan at arms length. Maybe 5000ft max IMO based on years of plane spotting.

Unfortunately no camera or PC in those days, but I got a good view from Binos, they appeared to be just lights with no structure around them.

Short of banging on a neighbours door, I had no other witnesses. I watched them move way off to the west horizontally in formation.

I suppose I saw them for 15 minutes all up.

I rang papers etc but there were no other reports.

Later that week the local rag had report of the sighting from a few people.

No one believed me of course.

Some years later I heard kids launched garbage bags with candles suspended below for fun.

It was one of those things you had to see to believe and Ive seen nothing like it before or since.

BTW the brightness was maybe twice that of Venus on a good day.

I know its hard to guage the position of each light in the dark, depth etc, but they remainded in formation and didnt waver. Over 15 minutes if they were a man made prank, the relative position of some of them to the others would have changed.

I reckon they appeared over the Mornington Peninsula , perhaps a bit south, moved west and I lost sight of them maybe Geelong way. I doubt any non powered thing could have remained at the same height and travelled at that speed.

I reckon they travelled 50k in 15 minutes, thats 200kph.

It was either a very complicated elaborate hoax or a UFO.

If it was a hoax, I would have expected the hoaxers to call the radio, TV etc to get some exposure and excitement happening.
Now im not saying your full of **** but if the "pranksters" had access to helium. (easy enough, my friends dad has heaps of botles) they could fill the balloon's with helium and put them all in the BLACK garbage bags, (say 15-20 ballons per bag).
Then tie all 5 bags up with about a 10 metre seperation so the formation can be seen from a distance.
Then some realy bright torched, lights, mirrors (could work if the sun had recently gone set and you were looking in the general EAST direction).
Then the balloons could posibly get into a jet stream, i assume it was the winter as the sun had set by 6:30PM so during these cold temperatures a jetstream could reach speeds over 215Kts (400Km/h)

Just a posibility, I have always dreamt of dong this oneday and these are some things I have thought about.
Old 19-01-2008, 10:46 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

yep - red helium filled balloons with a tin can full of metho and wick under em

great fun for the kids 40/50 years ago

geoff