Old 25-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

Unsure

I am purchasing 12" newt 5' long. Will a NEQPRO6 be more than adequate or only just adequate. Do not want a Dobson mount.
Old 25-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

The weight with finder, dovetail bar, rings and eyepiece 21KG max
Old 25-02-2015, 11:34 PM
raymo

Just barely adequate for visual use. Not adequate for astrophotography.
It is rated to 20kg.
raymo
Old 25-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

Says online the NEQ6 PRO GOTO will handle 25KG
Old 25-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

I cant find a mount for this scope in between the NEQ6 and the EQ8. the 6 is rated 25KG and the 8 is 45KG but with a $3K difference....sigh
Old 25-02-2015, 11:41 PM
rrussell1962

Raymo is spot on. I tried that combination a few years ago. If you are going to do it you will find that a Losmandy dovetail is much more stable than a Vixen one. You may also find that the eyepiece gets into some very difficult positions. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
Old 26-02-2015, 12:27 AM
raymo

You can find payload limits for the NEQ6 Pro on the net from 18.2 to
25kg. Australian retailers such as Bintel list 20kg. I think most owners
accept 20. From memory I think that one of the iOptron mounts falls between the NEQ6 and the EQ8.
raymo
Old 26-02-2015, 07:59 AM
glend (Glen)

If your doing imaging you should stick to the general rule of keeping the scope weight to 2/3 to 3/4 of mount rated capacity. I have a NEQ6 Pro and image with it through my 10" imaging newt (which I built to keep the weight down). I would not put a production 12" newt on a NEQ6 for imaging but you might get away with it fr visual only use. I would recommend an EQ8 if you want to image with a 12" newt.
I believe there is a company in europe that makes carbon fibre tubes for people to swap production scope mirrors into and these do weigh less but they are not cheap. If your good at making things you could try to build a truss 12" and that might get you under the NEQ6 weight limit for imaging but its mostly the mirror weight that's the problem. A light weight 12" mirror might be a good starting point.
Old 26-02-2015, 11:06 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afatnuglybloke View Post
I am purchasing 12" newt 5' long. Will a NEQPRO6 be more than adequate or only just adequate. Do not want a Dobson mount.
I think you should visit Steve Massey's "My Astro Shop" (online), here is the link : http://www.myastroshop.com.au/guides/bd305.asp You may be surprised.
Old 26-02-2015, 12:44 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi

If your intended purchase of a 12" reflector is for visual why wouldn't you want a dob mount? EQ mounting will see you twisting around to get to the eye piece in my opinion. If you want the benefit of go-to buy a go-to dob. I have one and it is fantastic. Of course if you are intending to image then ignore all of the above . Then you will be entering in to G11 range of mount definitely not EQ6/NEQ6 it will frustrate you no end.

Good luck with your choice and I hope your skies are clear after you get it.

Wayne
Old 26-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

Thanks all...I get it now....Unipol, I have spoken to Steve already and he does use the eq6 with his 12", but his is in a small observatory. He said to me the eq6 would be ok but be careful on windy nights. This is why I posted my question on IIS. It also begs the question of why this mount is recommended with this size scope. But that's another question for another time. Thanks for all replies...you guys are great...weird...but great.
Old 26-02-2015, 06:36 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

What's the focal length of this 12" newt? Even if it's only F4 that's still a focal length of 48"... I wouldn't try it to be honest.

My EQ6 was unworkable with a 1.6m focal length 8" carbon fibre tube for imaging. Longer focal length but lighter (about 12kg I think, from memory) and quite short. I think you'd either spend a lot of time tweaking/modding your mount and being frustrated, or you'd simply give up and buy a bigger, more appropriate mount.

If this is for visual, I wouldn't know, I don't do visual, but I'd advise against it for imaging.
Old 26-02-2015, 07:17 PM
raymo

Being as your post was at 1.07 pm, and it is now 7.06 pm, I guess that
this is another time. You ask why this mount is recommended with this
size scope. I think that very few, if any, experienced members of IIS would do so. Some unknowledgeable shop assistants in shops that dabble in scopes might, and an unscrupulous vendor trying to upsell you might.
Where did you see this recommendation. Come to think of it, today I did see one retailer's site stating that the NEQ6 was suitable for
astrophotography with ANY [my capitals] scope, which is plainly wrong.
raymo
Old 26-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Afatnuglybloke (Jim)

Scope and mount...astroshop
Old 26-02-2015, 07:37 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I rebuilt my 10" f5 Newt to a Serrurier configuration to get it onto the EQ6. OTA weight is 11kg but with all the necessary extras it comes in at about 17kg. Fortunately the Serrurier design is well balanced and requires very little added weights to stabilise.
Nonetheless it is big beast to swing on the EQ6 and even in the Ob I wouldn't use it in windy conditions. And it is all open alum struts with very few solid surfaces to act as 'sails'.
Astro-photgrahically the 2/3's rule is a good guide.