Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 24-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Purelized

Desc dial moved out of place

First of hello forum I'm new to these types of boards so I'm putting a greeting here.

The problem I'm having is I just bought a celestron 130eq reflector scope to replace my 60mm refactor scope to help me delve deeper into a astronomy I do not know any thing at all about reflector scopes but I did notice that both my ra and desc dial heads can move freely the ra has a screw so I assume it is meant to be able to adjusted but the desc dial seems that it was meant to be glued down cause it has some hold on it but not firm now as I move the telescope a needle point moves around the dial the dials aren't meant to be moved so I'm just wondering is there a way to get the desc dial accurately back to where its meant to be and for me to tack it down or should I return the scope and state the issue cause on most sites and even the manual it says the desc dial shouldn't be adjusted so I'm confused on what to do next it has been adjusted a little bit as I was moving the telescope around and it free moved
Old 25-02-2015, 10:38 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Don't worry too much about it, as it's easy enough to fix when you need to. Very few observers bother with the setting circles anyway. To fix it, you will need to polar align your telescope anyway. Search for drift aligning an Equatorial mount and if you're only doing visual observing I would imagine you only need it to be good to .5 degree or so. Once you are polar aligned, use the finder scope and point the thing at a known bright star. Look up the star's position and turn the RA and Dec dials to match. You are then ready to offset to a nearby deep sky object! Or - forget all the above and star hop using the finderscope.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 25-02-2015, 12:18 PM
raymo

As Andrew said, the R.A. and Dec are meant to be moveable. Some
mounts, such as my SW HEQ5 have locking screws on both; others
just build resistance into the Dec movement.
raymo