Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Iopron Cem60 eq goto mount

Doing some research into a bigger/heavier mount to eventually replace my EQ6 for AP.
Have seen lots of favourable reports about thies mount from users in the uk.
Anyone here in Australia using one? Seems pretty good bang for buck.

https://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?se...e-4ac258e06786

Seems there's an aussie dealer here advertising it for $4820.00
http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com....-pricelist.htm

Other options include EQ8 & G11 - I can't afford a
Paramount or an Astrophysics and stay married for long!

Thoughts?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy01; 17-02-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 18-02-2015, 07:42 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I thought they look interesting when I first saw them. I reckon it would take a while to get used to the scope location and keep from bumping into it.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 PM
dragoncity (Brett)

Iopron Cem60 eq goto mount

A friend recently purchased the standard CEM60, without high end encoders, and is very impressed with it -- as am I. :-)

If I did not already have a AZEQ6GT , which I'm very happy with, I certainly would consider a CEM60.

-- light weight, easy to lift, but has good carrying capacity ( 27 KG I think)
-- iOptron handset & software is much better then Synscan ( SkyWatcher), the handset
offers 8 lines of information, SynScan 2 lines.
-- has inbuilt GPS and its Polar Align setup is better than AZEA6GT.
-- very nicely engineered, well built, the built in level is useless however ! My fiend added two cheap spirit levels vials that he could actually see.

The software is not perfect and three star align is still "coming" ?, but the one star and 2 star aligns are very accurate.

Cheers,
brett
Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Thanks Brett, it sounds great! May I ask if your friend just uses the hand controller or if he/she controls the mount via a PC (or a mac)?
Cheers
Andy
Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi Andy,

I am in a similar boat...looking for an upgrade from my HEQ5, which is being used exclusively for astrophotography.

CEM 60 with a new Tri-Pier appears as an interesting, but also more expensive but within my budget, alternative to AZ-EQ6.

In particular, stepper motor resolution in CEM-60 looks promising, since it is over twice of that in AZ-EQ6.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 PM
dragoncity (Brett)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Thanks Brett, it sounds great! May I ask if your friend just uses the hand controller or if he/she controls the mount via a PC (or a mac)?
Cheers
Andy
Just the handset, he's not into adding PC control -- too much bother !. I do use a Asus nexus 7 via bluetooth as its more user friendly than the standard SynScan handset.

The iOptron 8 line handset is nicer.

BTW: the extra expense for the 'advanced' encoders seems to be unnecessary.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 PM
dragoncity (Brett)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hi Andy,

I am in a similar boat...looking for an upgrade from my HEQ5, which is being used exclusively for astrophotography.

CEM 60 with a new Tri-Pier appears as an interesting, but also more expensive but within my budget, alternative to AZ-EQ6.

In particular, stepper motor resolution in CEM-60 looks promising, since it is over twice of that in AZ-EQ6.
Yes, the encoders are much bigger on the CEM60, and therefore more accurate. If I did'nt like the ability to readily switch AltAZ to GEM that the AZEQ6GT offers I would definitely consider a CEM60. Its a very nice instrument.

The CEM60 is lighter to carry , but I have a permanent OBS so that's not a issue for me.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Brett very much for your replies.

I need a mount to be connected to a PC; EQMOD and HEQ5 combo has been great. I know that AZ-EQ6 works with EQMOD...and is cheaper than CEM-60.

CEM-60 has a few things going for it though, but it does not seem to be very popular in Australia, which is my main concern.

If CEM-60 tracks better than AZ-EQ6 and if it can be operated from a PC, then it would certainly be worth consideration.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM
dragoncity (Brett)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Thank you Brett very much for your replies.

I need a mount to be connected to a PC; EQMOD and HEQ5 combo has been great. I know that AZ-EQ6 works with EQMOD...and is cheaper than CEM-60.

CEM-60 has a few things going for it though, but it does not seem to be very popular in Australia, which is my main concern.

If CEM-60 tracks better than AZ-EQ6 and if it can be operated from a PC, then it would certainly be worth consideration.
The AZEQ6 is also complete -- ie: the tripod is included !

Can't offer much info regarding CEM60 popularity , but I would have one if I needed to replace the AZEQ6, buts that's unlikely as the AZEQ6 is very well designed and built. I think it the best medium sized mount SkyWatcher offer currently.

I was very impressed with the CEM60 tracking ability with the current Comet Lovejoy
chasing -- the iOptron allowed enough detail of the comets attributes to be retained in the handset that my friend could simply recall the saved object detail -- by number unfortunately as there is no alpha inputs with either handset -- and the handset computed and goto'd its exact location. My SW handset is too dumb for that !

I don't know anything about CEM60 <--> PC control apart from updating the software. Which is a very straight forward task -- BUT read the install instructions VERY carefully as its easy to misinterpret them !