Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 23-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Benik (Ben)

Help with CGEM Alignment Setup

Hi All,

Apologies if you saw this in general chat area, i posted in the wrong area!

New to Astronomy, just got myself a Celestron 9.25" EdgeHD on a CGEM Mount.

I had my first attempt at aligning the scope this weekend....So frustrating! i even tried for the first 3 hrs with the scope mounted backwards!!! rookie mistake.

I have A Starsense finder camera connected so hoped that would help but i think that there are too many obstructions on the sky line...trees houses etc.

Also due to obstructions i could not find the celestial pole.

I have ordred a pole finder scope to slot in the body of the CGEM, but this will only help when i am in open spaces.

Any other tips or advice welcome.

Cheers
Ben
Old 24-02-2015, 06:04 AM
SteveInNZ

Here's a simple method to get you in the ballpark (close enough for visual observing). You don't need to be able to see the pole or even know where it is.

Set the Azimuth adjustment to the middle point. Move the mount so that the counterweight bar is pointing directly down. You can use the marks but I find eyeballing the bar over the tripod leg is easier. Turn the scope on the Dec axis to point parallel to the RA axis (ie pointing to where the pole would be if it was already polar aligned.
Turn on the mount and set the time and location. When it asks you to align, cycle through to "Quick Align". It will think for a bit and come back and say that it's set up. Now tell it to slew to something that you know and will recognize. The Moon or Jupiter would be good. Now move the mount in Alt and Az to get the object into view. You're now roughly polar aligned.

With a bit of practice I usually find that I'm within a degree when I go from there and drift align or do the whole 4+2, ASPA thing.

Steve.
Old 24-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Benik (Ben)

Thanks Steve

"Move the mount so that the counterweight bar is pointing directly down." So tilted back as far as it will go?

"Turn the scope on the Dec axis to point parallel to the RA axis (ie pointing to where the pole would be if it was already polar aligned." Do i need topping the scope to the south or does it not matter?

I will give that a go one night this week and report back

Ben
Old 24-02-2015, 11:12 AM
SteveInNZ

Quote:
"Move the mount so that the counterweight bar is pointing directly down." So tilted back as far as it will go?
Sorry, no. I didn't make that very clear. The tilt (Alt setting on the mount) should be so that the scope is pointing towards the pole (ie the same as your latitude at the scope).
By pointing down I mean as if it would if you had the counterweight on and no scope and loosened the clutch. Gravity would swing the bar around to point downwards.
Quote:
Do i need topping the scope to the south or does it not matter?
Not sure what you're trying to say there.

The idea with Quick-Align is that the mount thinks that it's starting with the scope pointing at the south pole and the counterweight bar pointing down (to give it a known RA position).

Steve.
Old 24-02-2015, 11:16 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi ben,

have a read of this beginners guide, I found it very useful.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-498-0-0-1-0.html

and perhaps have a look at this older thread
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=79943

cheers
Old 24-02-2015, 11:31 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

cgem

HI -I thought the CGEM alignment software was pretty good. Make sure the correct time and place is set in the hand controller-I got one of those GPS thingys which made it very accurate. Then use the suggested alignment stars -if you cant see them then scroll down till you recognise a star you can see.
The first issues I had when starting out was the time not set properly with the offset and then the hand box not remembering it so each time I started it up I had to re set it.
I can't remember if it hs major Australian cities in the set up but it certainly didn't have Hobart so I had to manually put in lat and long as well before I got the StarGPS thing.
The manual is pretty good.
Hope it works well for you as I think the CGEM is a great mount.
Maybe longer focal lengths like your9.25 make it harder to initially find the stars, have you tried with a smaller/guide scope or lower mag eye piece?
Old 27-02-2015, 11:37 AM
chuckywiz (Ben)

where in perth are you located.. a mate of mine and me catch up regularly to do some imaging in either willetton or gosnells. your more than welcome come take a look at how it all goes together. If weathers fine this weekend we will be settin up saturday and sunday nights
Old 27-02-2015, 04:27 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hi Ben,

key things to note here are what Graham mentioned. The mount needs to know your correct Latitude, Longitude, Date and Time which you set through the handcontroller. As long as you then have a rough Polar Alignment, ie. Scope pointing towards South and up at approx Latitude, the inteligence of the scope will help you get polar aligned.

I only recently sold my CGEM, but I found the Polar Alignment software to be excellent. I always did a 2 Star Alignment followed by a 4 star calibration and targets where nearly alway dead centre for the rest of my visual session. Even hibernating the scope overnight and returning 24 hours later and the scope would be perfectly aligned for visual use.

Once you get the hang of the process, you wont believe how easy it is.

Paul
Old 28-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Benik (Ben)

Hi Chuckywiz (Ben)

"where in perth are you located.."

I live in Mt Lawley, i have arranged to meet with the ASWA guys at Whiteman Park tonight, they are hosting a Lunar night. But i would be keen to catch up with you guys for a chat and some imaging guidance.

Cheers for the offer of help