Old 17-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Jove Feb 16th

Imaged Jupiter last night, the first IR data set looked promising but the seeing dropped off rapidly and the following RGB was not up to the quality of the IR.

The IR has Oval BA toward the P limb with some quite nice detail following it in the STrB. There are 2 nicely resolved tiny white ovals in the STeB. There is a line of turbulence along the Northern edge of the SEB which is well resolved along with some prominent festoons in the EZ. I also note a prominent white spot on the Southern edge of the NEB midway between the CM and F limb. There also is some large scale structure toward the NPR.

Regards
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (j2014-02-16_10-46_ir_tba.jpg)
71.3 KB87 views
Old 17-02-2014, 07:57 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

It's a beauty Trevor

Eric
Old 17-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Sebbie (Sebastian)
Sebbie

Lovely resolution Trevor, especially in the EZ

White spot feature looks very interesting indeed..

Rgds,
Sebastian
Old 18-02-2014, 04:50 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Imaged Jupiter last night, the first IR data set looked promising but the seeing dropped off rapidly and the following RGB was not up to the quality of the IR.

The IR has Oval BA toward the P limb with some quite nice detail following it in the STrB. There are 2 nicely resolved tiny white ovals in the STeB. There is a line of turbulence along the Northern edge of the SEB which is well resolved along with some prominent festoons in the EZ. I also note a prominent white spot on the Southern edge of the NEB midway between the CM and F limb. There also is some large scale structure toward the NPR.

Regards
Trevor
Wow, I'd love to talk like that someday, so many acronyms!!
have no clue of what it means, but interesting nonetheless.

Nice clean image.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 18-02-2014, 05:38 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

nice image as always Trevor!

this map help with some of the lingo Alistair. another good book is "Jupiter and how to observe it"

media.skyandtelescope.com/images/JupiterBands-2004_m.jpg

matt
Old 18-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
It's a beauty Trevor

Eric
Thanks very much Eric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbie View Post
Lovely resolution Trevor, especially in the EZ

White spot feature looks very interesting indeed..

Rgds,
Sebastian
Thanks very much Sebastian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Wow, I'd love to talk like that someday, so many acronyms!!
have no clue of what it means, but interesting nonetheless.

Nice clean image.

Cheers
Alistair
Hi Alistair,
I suppose the lingo does seem a bit like double Dutch. If you are interested in understanding more there is a substantial amount of info available on the ALPO (Association of Lunar & Planetary Observers) and BAA (British Astronomical Association) websites, they both have dedicated sections that deal with each particular planet.
I am involved with several different research teams mainly focussed on Saturn & Jupiter. All of my data goes to them and also to the BAA, ALPO, ALPO Japan, JUPOS, PVOL & IOWP. Most require the image be orientated South Up. The sense of East & West loses considerable meaning depending on the optical design of any particular scope so “P’ (Preceding) and “F” (Following are the descriptors used to indicate the direction of rotation and also to aid in describing where a particular structure or detail is located in the image.
Both Jupiter and Saturn have the same nomenclature with bright zones and dark belts, although on Saturn they are much more subtle. The bright zones are warm material rising while the dark belts are cooler material sinking.
Considering Jupiter. The nomenclature for the major Southern Hemisphere regions is replicated for the Northern Hemisophere.
EZ (Eqatorial Zone) is the bright equatorial band. Then moving further South we come to.
SEB (Southern Equatorial Belt) STrZ (South Tropical Zone) STrB (South Tropical Belt) STeZ (South Temperate Zone STeB South Temperate Belt SPR (South Temperate Region)
There are even further descriptors as from time to time one belt or zone could split or fade away. Dr John Rogers is the director of the BAA Jupiter section and very highly regarded as an authority on Jupiter. His book “The Giant Planet Jupiter” is the Bible when it comes to Jove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
nice image as always Trevor!

this map help with some of the lingo Alistair. another good book is "Jupiter and how to observe it"

media.skyandtelescope.com/images/JupiterBands-2004_m.jpg

matt
Thanks very much Matt.
Old 18-02-2014, 10:14 PM
h0ughy (David)

Trevor - to me the image looks a tad blurry for over 60% of the image, was that the resultant RGB framing? thanks for the English lesson too - THE TLA's
Old 18-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Trevor - to me the image looks a tad blurry for over 60% of the image, was that the resultant RGB framing? thanks for the English lesson too - THE TLA's
Hi David, it is what it is.
Jupiter is very low, it has been very hot out here in the bush, always capturing data with heat still radiating back up into the atmosphere. This data is about as good as it has been this apparition, probably a rather sad statement. I could have sharpened it further but I hate seeing planetary data butchered. I live in hope that a bunch of stable air is on the way. Of course, this apparition has been our worst for some time but Jupiter will now start heading back our way. Come 2017 we will have Saturn & Mars virtually overhead with Jupiter up at a rather nice 64 degrees. Much to look forward to. Reckon you might have to work toward a Planetary setup to take advantage of the opportunity about to be presented to us in OZ.
Old 19-02-2014, 06:37 AM
bratislav (Bratislav)

That is fantastic result considering how low Jupiter is. IR imaging works.
I'm starting to think whether there is a room for "Hubble palette" for planetary images. Say 675, 705 and 750 nm as RGB (BGR)?
Problem is, those IR filters are all high pass.
Old 19-02-2014, 07:56 AM
PacoYepes

I like the processing, it is very soft.

Greetings.