Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Newbie help with HEQ5

Hi All,

I'm a complete beginner to this and purchased myself a brand new HEQ5 pro mount. I am having trouble understanding how to calibrate the polar scope as I watched a video of a guy in the northern hemisphere who was talking about putting in the date/time for where Polaris should be at that date and time ring things (or something along those lines) and the going ahead and calibrating it by using the mini Allen key.

Do I need to worry about that here (date/time)? Or do I just make the adjustments so that it is dead centre on the target when i rotate the mount?

Thanks!
Old 13-03-2018, 12:54 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Are you using the mount for AP or visual only and what scope have you mounted on the HEQ5 , northern hemisphere polar scope is just that you cant use it in the south
Yes you have to input your location (gps coordinates) date and time
I suggest you get a manual for the mount and read it at least 3 times as its difficult for beginners
What power supply are you using for the mount?
Old 13-03-2018, 08:08 AM
kens (Ken)

Most polarscopes these days work in both hemispheres but are beter in the north.
Polar aligning with a polarscope in the southern hemisphere is a pain as the alignment stars are not easily identifiable.
If you are intending visual only then just use a compass and inclinometer. If you want better alignment then follow up with a drift alignment suing the eyepiece.
If you are imaging then use any of the available applications that support polar alignment - I use PHD2. If you are imaging with just a DSLR then try he DARV method.
Old 15-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

100% I use a polar scope when I am in Prague and took it with me to RSA but its useless , for visual just use a smart phone to get your latitude and south and you will be fine , as mentioned for AP you will have to do Drift
So yes its a lot harder if you live in the Southern part of the world but then we have clear sky , when I lived in central Europe you are lucky to get 1 month a year , many in RSA and Australia

Last edited by Rkonrad; 15-03-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 16-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’m a newbie ( 9 months into the hobby) I’ve had my HEQ5 mount for 2 months

Forget using the polar scope it’s a waist of time unless you are perched on top of a mountain with perfect views of the SCP

To set up my mount I do the following -

Use Stellarium ( free download ) to find the exact time of the “noon meridian” ( the time where the sun is directly overhead on your nominated day )

Set up a 1m long x 12mm dia piece of wooden dowel ( Bunnings ) 90 degrees to level ground, preferably on a driveway or paved area ( use a bubble level or digital inclinometer to ensure wooden dowel is 90 degree to the ground )

At the precise time of the noon meridian ( pick a sunny day ) mark the ground just in front of the wooden dowel in the centre of its shadow and then mark another position in the centre of the shadow cast by the wooden dowel at the end. Scribe or mark a line between the two marked points, this will be the approximate direction of true south

Set your HEQ5 mount tripod base along this true south line with the leg marked N pointing and centred over the true south line ( use a plumb bob to ensure the mount base is also centred over this true south line

Then level your mount with a bubble level and / or digital inclinometer on all 3 axis ( this is very important, it must be leve )

Fit your HEQ5 mount head as per the manual

Set your
Old 16-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Cont......

Set your altitude using the t bolts to your local latitude position

Fit your scope ,counter weights and accessories etc

Balance your mount as per the manual

Connect your Synscan hand controller and set up as per the Synscan manual

Set your home position on the mount

Carry out a 2 Star alignment and / or drift alignment ( you will need an illuminated reticle eye piece )

I use the above procedure for both visual astronomy and basic DSLR Astrophotography as I get reasonably close to polar alignment

I hope the above helps !!

Clear skies
Old 17-03-2018, 01:25 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Cont......

Set your altitude using the t bolts to your local latitude position

Fit your scope ,counter weights and accessories etc

Balance your mount as per the manual

Connect your Synscan hand controller and set up as per the Synscan manual

Set your home position on the mount

Carry out a 2 Star alignment and / or drift alignment ( you will need an illuminated reticle eye piece )

I use the above procedure for both visual astronomy and basic DSLR Astrophotography as I get reasonably close to polar alignment

I hope the above helps !!

Clear skies
!00% but you will be lucky to 30 second exposures , we have not heard from the OP whether its for AP or visual , but honestly using this method one could just have a simple Alt/Az go to mount which will give same results , you HAVE to do drift
Old 19-03-2018, 10:18 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkonrad View Post
!00% but you will be lucky to 30 second exposures , we have not heard from the OP whether its for AP or visual , but honestly using this method one could just have a simple Alt/Az go to mount which will give same results , you HAVE to do drift
This is for AP, apologies in the delayed responses.

I will have to give this a go over the weekend as I work full time and won't be able to get it done anytime this week.

Is this a good guide to go off to drift align?
http://www.astrotarp.com/drift_method-2.html
Old 19-03-2018, 01:16 PM
chromus (Phil)

If you have any kind of Astro camera or guide cam, then sharpcap will get u aligned pretty quickly. I have also used a Polemaster (electronic equivalent of a polar scope and that nailed polar align to within 4arc secs.
Old 20-03-2018, 02:40 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromus View Post
If you have any kind of Astro camera or guide cam, then sharpcap will get u aligned pretty quickly. I have also used a Polemaster (electronic equivalent of a polar scope and that nailed polar align to within 4arc secs.
I just did some research on the polemaster and immediately purchased one. I cannot wait to receive it! i struggle in my light polluted backyard to see any of the required stars, so having this sensitive camera should hopefully streamline the polar alignment! Thanks for the input!
Old 30-03-2018, 09:22 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

So I finally received my polemaster.. takes me a few hours to understand how to find sigma octantis. I finally find it, and as I am starting the alignment with the polemaster it gets unbelievably cloudy in Sydney to the point there is no more sky to see Atleast now I know where to find the southern star so I will be able to align now and finally take some photos
Old 31-03-2018, 01:20 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Glad it works for you and good lock