Old 04-05-2018, 06:38 PM
glend (Glen)

Guide and Imaging Camera Contention

This is a strange problem that just popped up. PHD2 seems to be picking up my ASI1600MM-C instead of the ASI120MM guide camera. This puts SGP into all sorts of confusion. I have been imaging for years with this setup and no problems at all. What is going on?
I tried reinstalling PHD2, shutting down SGP, and PHD2 still picks up the 1600.
Suggestions? Not funny ones please.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Hi
When I ran 2 Meade DSI cameras starting Phd2 with the guider only powered up would setup Phd correctly and once it was running I could power up the imaging camera. Then there was no conflict.. Might help?

GlennB
Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Glen, in the connection tab, next to the MAKER of camera, there is a double arrow - click that and if you have more than one cam connected of the same MAKER, it will list them. Select which one is the guider there.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 PM
kens (Ken)

Sometimes they get mixed up in the profile if, say, you swap USB ports around
Old 04-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Imme (Jon)

Ive had exactly the same issue but with apt.

I just make sure i select the 120 in phd and then connect the 1600 in apt.....is fine after that
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I power up the 1600mm-c ( the 12volts for cooling) then start Sharpcap which finds it first. Then I start PHD2 which finds the ASI 120mc.

If I just started Sharpcap it would find the ASI120mc first. My setup is static, no changes in the Ob. The other method is to just unplug the other camera USB till the system has connected to the correct camera. It will 'learn' after a while which one to grab. WIN 7 and I'd guess Win10, can do some funny things with USB.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks for those responses. I used to do exactly as Brent, fire up SGP and pick (Camera 1) and connect the 1600, which is on direct usb3 port on the laptop, then while cooling was starting I would connect the MBeat powered hub port switch for the asi120 which uses a separate usb3 port on the laptop. Start PHD2 and it would find the asi120.
Now for some reason, SGP still works as set out above, but PHD2 is oscillating between the 1600 and the 120, seriously I can watch it switch back and forth. When PHD is in this mode SGP locks up the 1600 and goes into a frame loop and shows rge camera as disconnected, as if PHD is looping the big camera (when it was never selected in PHD).
Driving me crazy.

I do have a spare HP Stream laptop that I could use to run PHD2 with the ASI120 connected directly to that machine. But I should not have to do that, as it was all working fine until recently. It's a WIN8 environment.

Last edited by glend; 05-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:58 PM
kens (Ken)

Have you tried what LewisM said? Start up SGP and let it do its thing. When you start PHD2, click the camera selection button and choose the correct camera. It will remember this in your profile.

Note that PHD2 is not remembering whether it is an ASI1600 or ASI120 but whether you are using camera 1 or camera 2.

One possibility I can think of that has caused it to mess up is if you once started PHD2 first with only one camera connected so that became camera 1 and the only one availabeleto PHD2. In this case it could switch the camera back to camera 1 in your profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.PNG)
27.5 KB20 views
Old 05-05-2018, 10:56 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Could it be the powered usb hub? Can you try it without the hub.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:37 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Could it be the powered usb hub? Can you try it without the hub.
Only the guide camera uses the powered hub, along with the filter wheel ( which always works fine). The 1600 runs direct via powered USB3 cable to a separate laptop port. So I doubt it could be an issue, especially since that physical configuration has worked perfectly for a long time.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:56 AM
JA

Perhaps there is some fault with some operating system parameter or an operating system corruption. Any recent operating system updates? Any new software added after which faults started? Try running both cameras from the other laptop I think you mentioned that you had. That may get you somewhere diagnostically, perhaps allowing you to conclude that there may be an operating system issue, which rather than spending a lot of time chasing might be easier to simply freshly reinstall (operating system)

Best
JA
Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 PM
glend (Glen)

I have resolved my contention problem, but to do so i had to take the 120MM out of the mix. I could not get it to work with the latest version of the ASI driver. I deleted and reinstalled all the related drivers. And it just happened that I had an ASI290MINI on hand, it's working perfectly now as Camera 2. Process is, start PHD2 first and make sure the ASI290 is found and setup as Camera2. Then start SGP and verify the ASI1600 connection as Camera1.
It's running 5 minute NB subs now so it's all good, I hope.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Looks like the asi120mm strikes again