Old 14-05-2008, 06:26 PM
leon

Filters are pretty tough

Hi Guys,

May I stress firstly that anyone should "NOT' do this, or even touch the filter in any Canon DSLR,

However, as some of you are aware, I replaced the original filter of my 5D with a UV/IR block filter, which involved the total dismantling of the Camera.

I had no intention of keeping the existing filter, so whilst removing it was a rough as i wanted to be, even chipped it on the side trying to pry it out of its holder.

Having said that, one would expect it to be well and truly marked scratched and basically stuffed.

Well, not so, I have it lying in front of me a I type.

It was as I said finger printed dirty and smudged, so to have a test of this thing, I purposely gave it a harder time, and dropped it few times, really marked it with hard finger actions, and that sort of thing.

Finally I washed it under the hot tap, dried it on the tea towel, and then got a Windex bottle, gave it a few squirts, and polished the hell out of it.

I came up as a new penny, not a mark on it, closely examined under a mag glass and loupe.

So what dose that tell you about cleaning filters inside the camera, I think they are having us on what do you think.

HOWEVER I STRESS ONCE MORE, DO NOT DO THIS, BUT FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS SUPPLIED WITH YOUR CAMERA

I was just trying to prove a point, and suggest that filters are tougher than made out to be.

Leon
Old 14-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

LOL, ummm, I think probably, no certainly, you should never have to clean the filter in a DSLR (how would you suggest thay get filthy enough to need cleaning, he, , well, unless you "totally dismantle" it and cover it in fingerprints ).I removed the standard filter in a 40D and promptly broke it (like you, not that I cared). So the point?, dont clean?, or dont mod?, or do both cause the filters are tough in yr hands?

Punk

Last edited by Bassnut; 14-05-2008 at 09:51 PM.