Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

8/10/14 Lunar Eclipse, BNE

Thought I would start my own thread since I am after some processing advice as well.

Anyway the story first. At 4pm or so, things went downhill fast. 100% cloud cover at about 5pm-7pm. I literally stood outside for that entire time wishing the cloud would go away. I had the telescope cooling and outside ready for set up. I had a friend waiting in UK for a livestream that was probably never going to happen.

At about 7pm, I thought WTH and set the scope up. Only took about 10 minutes with everything outside already, and when I was sure it wasnt going to randomly rain. Everyone in the house thought I was retarded lol. All the neighbours were inside. A possum decided to visit too, which was nice, wandered up to within 5 metres, had a bit of a sniff and went on with his/her night.

A crack in the clouds opened about 7.40pm. That allowed me to purely align the telescope and center the moon in the viewfinder. Very faint due to hazy cloud still in the crack. About 20 seconds, then it was gone again. But no matter, I had tracking now.

I had the telescope focussed on the moon from three nights prior, and locked the mirror. There was absolutely no way I would have been able to focus last night, so that was extremely lucky that I left it locked, anticipating such a scenario.

About 20 mossie bites later, and at 8.20pm (+/- 1 or 2 minutes due to camera time uncertainty) a 90 second clear crack appeared in the cloud. Just incredibly perfect timing:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1f92ae36.jpg

I got the ozone band too! (Blue/grey colour band clearly visible). I know it isnt anywhere near as good as it can be with further processing. But I was too excited not to post it lol. Ill come to processing later.

Somewhere around 9pm, I got another crack, about 60 seconds. A bit further refinement on camera settings, re-center due to polar mis-alignment. Managed to rattle off 4 pictures. Another crack around 9.30pm, again about 60 seconds, and another 4 or so pictures.

About 9.40pm, there was a nice hole, and took some pictures and managed to squeeze out a 5 minute HD livestream to my friend in England. She was absolutely stoked, even though I was at 6400ISO and 1" shutter, and the noise was fairly bad (still very useable). I had pretty much told her not to expect anything good out of the evening.

Then the clouds cleared nearly fully right around 10.15pm, squeezed off a few partial phase pictures, then packed the scope up.

Perseverance pays .

Details for posted picture:
Celestron EdgeHD 925, Losmandy G11 G2
Canon 5D MKIII @ f/10, all Televue adapters, Blue Fireball 35mm ext
ISO 1250, 0.8s, daylight WB, 8 sec timer, mirror lockup (live view).
Very slight levels and contrast adjustment, and JPEG conversion from RAW, on colour/brightness calibrated monitors.

I know the ISO and shutter speed are too high and long respectively, but I really had no choice in the matter. About the best I can do given the turbulence, drift, cloud and aperture. The grain in particular is very bad, and i feel that is where my signal-noise loss is occurring.

I did manage to get 3 or 4 images which can be stacked, pre-totality, totality and post-totality. I feel this, in combination with some LR Deconvolution may be my saviour.

I am keen to take onboard any advice anyone has on how my image can be improved, including software recommendations. There are a few tutorials online, but there are so many different workflows so thought I would ask here to see what advice anyone who may have done something similar can give me.

TIA
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Wavytone

Well done ! I'd leave it looking realistic - as is.

I have grown to detest the over-cooked look of images heavily processed or given the HDR treatment.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
I'd leave it looking realistic - as is.

I have grown to detest the over-cooked look of images heavily processed or given the HDR treatment.
Thanks Wavytone, I tend to agree, and it seems my facebook friends seem to agree with all the likes im getting on there lol.

Still though, I would like to improve the SNR if I can, if not for anything other than practice. it really is bugging me that I had to use such a high ISO and long exposure which grained out the details.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

depending on the shots you got you may be able to use faster/cleaner shots for detail and add the colour from the longer exposures. I took lot of bracketted sets (no cloud problems luckily) so i'll wade through them on the weekend. I made many mistakes shooting my first lunar eclipse in 2007, the nice colourful shots were blurred from the motion of the moon but i was able to use them to colourise the clean sharp boring shots i got at the same time.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
depending on the shots you got you may be able to use faster/cleaner shots for detail and add the colour from the longer exposures. I took lot of bracketted sets (no cloud problems luckily) so i'll wade through them on the weekend. I made many mistakes shooting my first lunar eclipse in 2007, the nice colourful shots were blurred from the motion of the moon but i was able to use them to colourise the clean sharp boring shots i got at the same time.
Thanks Sil, what software have you used for such a workflow?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM
cd_design (Colin)

Here are a few shots from Dalby QLD,

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/...d2c31de4_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3951/...4c40a20d_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/...07487b35_o.jpg
Old 13-10-2014, 10:29 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Finally got a decent workflow going on the weekend. Manual stack of 3 images in photoshop, denoised in Astra Image 4 (since 64bit PS), and then sharpened and colour balanced in PS, then changed aspect ratio a bit and added more black to reduce size of moon and make it easier on the eyes. So, back and forth a bit but im pretty happy with the results.

Critical feedback most welcome, really want to know what the imagers think.

Facebook seems to love it, which was my goal as opposed to being technically correct in terms of the image.

Of course not having fine detail there in the first place due to various issues such as bad PA, clouds, etc cannot be compensated for, but feel ive done a pretty good job given the conditions/issues/circumstances.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...psbc0f58fa.jpg