Old 17-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Wide field Multi imaging systems

https://amostech.com/TechnicalPapers.../Ackermann.pdf

A very interesting read on the subject.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:26 PM
billdan (Bill)

That was a good read Ken, I learnt a lot about refractors and lenses plus all the history behind it.
Thanks for proving the link.

Bill
Old 18-03-2019, 01:09 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 Top article. Read only a bit last night. Lots to digest.
Old 20-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

A great amount to take in but very interesting.

A question I have is whether it is reasonable or even possible to combine visual freuency data from an array of optical systems such as reflectors , camera lenses and refractors with different focal lengths of the same target. This seems to be what is happening with arrays of extremely narrow band cameras and lenses.

One would think stacking stretches the whole image anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
+1 Top article. Read only a bit last night. Lots to digest.
Old 20-03-2019, 12:03 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Another vote of thanks from me, Ken. I have only skimmed the document but it looks very good. Perhaps an array would be an interesting retirement project some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
A question I have is whether it is reasonable or even possible to combine visual freuency data from an array of optical systems such as reflectors , camera lenses and refractors with different focal lengths of the same target. This seems to be what is happening with arrays of extremely narrow band cameras and lenses.

One would think stacking stretches the whole image anyway.
It's not difficult to combine data from systems with different image scale and it can be useful to do so... more photons in total provides higher SNR. This makes it possible to stretch the data further revealing fainter features.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 20-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks for that.

I tried that a combination of SCT and Refractor in a earlier post and it seemed to work, however I was not sure that the various inherent defects did not simply multiply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Another vote of thanks from me, Ken. I have only skimmed the document but it looks very good. Perhaps an array would be an interesting retirement project some day

It's not difficult to combine data from systems with different image scale and it can be useful to do so... more photons in total provides higher SNR. This makes it possible to stretch the data further revealing fainter features.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:18 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The Homo-centric Wide field Cafe Array. Most useless photographic array invented. Also available in Grassed-Area Array and Pavement Array configurations, not any better.

But yes nice article. Bit heavy for my brain. I think there's good potential there for using multiple cameras in an array to provide a better than any single one effective camera. Tieing them together would be the trick to the project. We can easily use subs from lots of different cameras to gain depth but not resolution and cameras like the L16 use the multicamera approach but don't quite work yet. I would guess Canon cameras will be the path to success as they are the most "hackable" for software/firmware. Coming up with a way to calibrate the optics of each lens/camera and be able to adjust in software to a"standard" that all the cameras can contribute to would be great. But of course why stop with a box of old cameras to make an array, why not a bunch of spare 16" dobsonians? Maybe it'd be more practical to have observatories remotely anywhere (our home setups?) that can be synced together?hm, mind drifting off to an idea i had ages ago: a piece of software to go through all source files (images/videos) and build a sub archive. making sure fits information on location and time is embedded and plate solved information etc then let you search for an object or patch of sky and it'll pull all the subs you have ever taken meeting search criteria so you can examine or stack/process. How many of us have unknowingly captured supernovae occuring in recent years? or bolids, fireballs etc? that can be used to help recreate tracking information and landing locations/energies etc. I think an immense citizen science pool is feasible like this and the clever clods will figure out useful ways to use the data to make discoveries and refine measurements and of course help us make pretty pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (untitled.png)
133.5 KB18 views

Last edited by sil; 21-03-2019 at 10:44 AM.