Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 21-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
I just use Anydesk and my phones hotspot. Havent had any trouble yet.
Can I just check; does the phone hotspot thing work when you don't have signal?

So far my computers will not create a hotspot if they do not *also have an active internet connection to share.

Markus
Old 21-06-2020, 11:17 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
All the current ones (As far as I know) will in theory run at 12V but mine (7th gen I5) started reboot looping on me so I went back to it's 19V supply and it stopped misbehaving. I have just bought a DC-DC converter off ebay to get 19VDC from my 12V system and had my first successful night with it, so that is another option. I wanted it all running off the DC system so that everything is capable of running off my backup battery, the power supply is not greatly reliable where I live with plenty of bumps and short outages, and star parties I have lost time like everyone else to a CB trip or someone tripping over a cord in the dark. I never did but I would hate to loose a nights imaging to a six second outage for an auto reclose on the HV feeder to our place, ods on it would be just after I go to bed.
In the beginning I ran mine at 12v and didn't have any issues. Then later I switched my entire system to 24v and now run it at it's ideal 19v. I find that at 19v the extra juice allows me to run Stellarium with all of the pretty 3D graphics without any lag and I'm sure it improves the WiFi's stability a little bit amongst other things. Intel chips like to drink so the more juice you can give them the better IMO. Still if 12v is all you can supply then it'll still be functional.
Old 21-06-2020, 12:44 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I didn't see any sort of functionality or performance issue with mine, it just started reboot looping randomly until I put it back on 19V via it's supplied power brick, but I was never happy with the idea of a small power bump ending the night by rebooting the NUC after I was asleep.