Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
CometGuy

Sigma 17-70 lens

I picked up a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro lens to replace the cheap 18-55 Kit lens for my Canon 350D and am quite impressed. The price is also right for a lens of this standard (tip : Photocontinental in Brisbane are selling the Canon mount for $430).

Here is my quick evaluation including star test:

http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/sigma1770

There is also a detailed review at:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2845/index.htm

Terry
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Very interesting, Terry, especially considering i'm looking for replacements to my kit lenses too.

When you say $430, do you mean the lens + canon mount is $430?

Does the mount change the focal length at all?

Can you do some macro tests?

Can you do a CA test versus the 18-55 stock lens?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Yep thanks Terry! wow that is impressive value, hope more lenses start coming along like this one its on my wish list now!
Mike, the photozone link Terry suplied answers all those questions in spades
Old 01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
CometGuy

Hi Mike,

My wording was slightly confusing. Sigma make the lens in different versions to suit different camera manufacturers. You need to make sure you specify which camera you are using when you order - i.e Canon EF mount in your case. All the metering and autofocus functions are implemented.

CA is there but well under control.

Sorry Macro is not my thing, I can't hold the camera steady enough! But attached is a small crop from a macro shot with a 5c piece sitting on top of circuit board. You can basically get close enough so that a 50c piece fills the entire frame.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (macro.jpg)
51.3 KB79 views
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Terry, thanks for the extra info. I'm a newbie when it comes to camera lenses.

Looks like a very good performer for the price.

And thanks Kearn, i'll take the time to read that review before I make any rash purchases!

Does the focal length range of a zoom lens make a difference to its quality? ie: is a 12-24 going to be generally easier to produce (better quality?) than a 17-70?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
CometGuy

Generally, the greater zoom range compromises optical quality. The tradeoff being versatility of course. The link I gave to photozone has lots of lens reviews including centre/edge sharpness at various apertures and focal lengths.

However, the 12-24 is an ultrawide angle and a problably very challenging to design to start with, so that in itself will compromise the sharpness. There is a review for 2 12-24 lenses here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...4556/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...24_4/index.htm

The Tokina 12-24 looks excellent.

Terry
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
cjmarsh81

What is wrong with the supplied Canon Lense? Is it of poor quality?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
tornado33

I find the suplied Canon lens is okay at 50mm or so but at 18mm edge sharpness falls off consiferably.
I have a Sigma 28 to 300mm ( a huge zoom range) that performs poorly at 28mm, but at 300MM is quite good, though the Autofocus doesnt handle action well, (I took it to a Newcastle Knights game and it struggled with the players against the green grass to get accurate focus). Apart from that it performs well as a telephoto lens, and zoomed in is almost as compact as the supplied Canon kit lens and fits nicely into my camera bag while attached to the camera.
Scott
Old 01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmarsh81
What is wrong with the supplied Canon Lense? Is it of poor quality?
I wouldnt say poor quality, but just wont give a sharper and better quality image as a more expensive good lens.
Its like refractors, you can get a cheap APO, then you could get a really expensive APO, just quality of light at the end of the image plane.
You gets whats ya pays far !.
having said that, in most of our cases, we aint goingto see a shrippens of difference for most everyday things.
Dont forget the expense goes up when the f ratio goes down. A f4 or f5.6 lens is OK, and cheap, but the similar lens in a f2.8, f3.5 is going to cost quite a bit more.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I agree with what has been said regarding the supplied 18-55.

At 18mm, there is considerable coma/abberations around the edge of the picture. It's mostly not noticable in daytime terrestrial shots, but i've noticed it in some of mine where straight lines don't go straight near the corners.

See the attached image taken last week, and look in the top left hand corner at the bridge.. the structure gets quite blurry near the edge.

And in star shots it's immediately noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (city_at_night.jpg)
97.6 KB87 views
Old 18-05-2006, 08:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Based on what Terry has said and the reports I have read, I've bought the 17-70 too, can't wait to try it. The macro capability looks good as well. On the wish list still is the Tokina 12-24 and the Sigma 50-500 (APO) that h0ughy (and others) speak highly of, as well as a 50mm f1.8 for portrait work.
Old 18-05-2006, 08:39 PM
leon

Hi Guys.

Just to put my two bobs worth in, i often shot macro but never use any of the big lenses anymore, or even my SLR.
As a point any shot camera i bought the Canon IXUS 50 Digital, and is that impressive.
Put it on macro mode and you can hand hold and shoot at 10mm without flash and get great results every time.
This little camera out performs my Pentax IstD every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0006_1_3_1.JPG)
98.1 KB47 views