Old 30-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Well after reading posts in this thread I have decided to put the ST-8300M Camera up for sale but before that I need to replace the 2" Nose piece which I gave away as part of another camera sale..ssoooo..I need the assistance of other ST-8300 camera owners in identifying this part. I know it is a Baader part but I need the product number or identification.

Little Help...Please
Old 30-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hans,

What are you going to get instead?

H
Old 30-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

G'day H,

Well I know it won't be SBIG...I am looking at the FLI Microline range. Greg Bradley and Mike Sidonio have convinced me that FLI would be the better option....plus I have an unused CFW-2-7 which would be best suited to the same brand cameras. Before I got enticed by the ST-8300 I had planned on an STL-11K so I might look at the same sensor but in the FLI range.
Old 30-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Well after reading posts in this thread I have decided to put the ST-8300M Camera up for sale but before that I need to replace the 2" Nose piece which I gave away as part of another camera sale..ssoooo..I need the assistance of other ST-8300 camera owners in identifying this part. I know it is a Baader part but I need the product number or identification.

Little Help...Please
This will do it -> https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7403

But you won't use it with a wheel.
Old 31-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi all! Just out of curosity I checked out the QSI 583 the mid body option. I myself own a Newtonian and was wondering if this could be the choice CCD due to it's least back focus and built in filter wheel. Any thoughts? Slightly off topic I know
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 AM
gbeal

Or here Hans, I have these and they are great.
http://www.alpineastro.com/eyepiece_...htm#Nosepieces
Gary
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 AM
pvelez (Pete)

I have a ST-8300M.

I went with the FW8-STL filter wheel. I suspect I was the first in Australia to pick up the adapter plate so I can use it with the imager.

I wanted 2 inch filters as my OTA is f4.

Problem - its a heavy beast. I can't use my motorised focuser as its too much for it. So I'm now considering moving on to the QSI and selling the SBIG rig. Is this of any interest?

Pete
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I'd love to see raw files from the QSI to gauge the extent of the vignetting at different focal ratios.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
I have a ST-8300M.

I went with the FW8-STL filter wheel. I suspect I was the first in Australia to pick up the adapter plate so I can use it with the imager.

I wanted 2 inch filters as my OTA is f4.

Problem - its a heavy beast. I can't use my motorised focuser as its too much for it. So I'm now considering moving on to the QSI and selling the SBIG rig. Is this of any interest?

Pete
I had the same vision of the setup you have...but I elected to go with the CFW-2-7 over the FW8-STL because SBIG hadn't sorted out the adapter for mating the FW8-STL to the ST-8300M. ATS quoted me $1500 for the FW5-8300 so I didn't really want to ask what a FW8-STL would cost me. Things weren't working out on the SBIG side for me so I have elected to go with selling the ST-8300M and buy FLI so I can use the CFW-2-7 and salvage something out of this mess.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I shot some images on a qsi583 with the 1.25 filters last week with a tak fsq106 at prime. It DOES vignette. I suppose it could be flated out, but I was playing around and didnt get too serious about calibrations.

It may not on slower scopes with a shallower light cone, I didnt test it though.

Brett
Depends what you mean by vignette. Some setups appear to vignette but flat field nicely. I have a few setups that "vignette" badly but flat field out nicely. AP140 with the compressor/corrector, FSQ with its reducer, the BRC250 needed flats. All high end scopes and thats with 50mm square filters, large aperture openings all the way to the chip.

greg.
Old 17-02-2011, 04:20 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I know this is an old thread, but it's one of the only ones here that discusses the Moravian G2-8300. I was in touch with Pavel about this camera and he gave me some information that is not available on their web site, or dealer's sites.

1. The filters that fit the internal filter wheel are both 1.25" threaded filters and 31mm glass only filters -without cells - which when fitted have a clear aperature of 28mm. This allows for f/4 and slower optics without vignetting. He wrote:

"Please take into account that vignetting we discussed previously affects only a very small portion of the detector in the corners. Such vignetting, caused by the filter is often much smaller compared to the vignetting inherent to the optics. One G2-8300 user takes beautiful images with 31mm filters with an f/3.6 astrograph without any trace of vignetting."

"When you do the math, the result is that there is no vignetting with f/13 optics when using 24.5mm aperture filters." (that is, 1.25" threaded filters)

2. The weight of the G2 camera head is 1.1kg with the filter head. With a Canon EOS Clip Adapter and 31mm LRGB filters = 1.14kg

3. Back focus: Front plate to CD = 29mm, With T thread = 55mm
Old 19-02-2011, 09:55 AM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

Since the thread is re opened I am going for the Atik 4000 medium format chip. It seems to be the perfect upgrade option for me based on use of 1 1/4 filters, descent well depth and pixel size, and handles a range of FL. Also pretty good QE at 55+%. It's dark current is low and has a 8 sec exponential.