Old 15-06-2016, 11:48 AM
gregbradley

Help with PBase

I post my images on PBase. I load an 8 bit jpeg usually and it looks much the same as it does in Photoshop.

But recently all of a sudden the PBase posted image suffers a large drop in colour saturation. I don't think anything has changed with my Photoshop settings although I am using Photoshop CC and it updates every now and then. Perhaps Adobe has changed something?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Suggestions?

Greg.
Old 15-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Make sure you're saving the image with the appropriate profile. Typically, sRGB. Most good browsers are colour-managed nowadays, but, not all.

H
Old 15-06-2016, 08:40 PM
gregbradley

Thanks Humi. I did check that as the first thing. But it did start happening right after I changed some images over to the Malin requirement which was different to what I normally had. I should see if there is still aspect of that lingering. Cheers.

Greg.
Old 16-06-2016, 01:02 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Thanks Humi. I did check that as the first thing. But it did start happening right after I changed some images over to the Malin requirement which was different to what I normally had.
Greg,

IIRC, the Malin requirement is AdobeRGB colour space. Because it's a wider gamut, AdobeRGB profile images will generally look less saturated if you display them without colour management. Could be that the colour profile is being stripped off somewhere or you're viewing with a browser than doesn't support colour management.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-06-2016, 07:19 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Greg,

IIRC, the Malin requirement is AdobeRGB colour space. Because it's a wider gamut, AdobeRGB profile images will generally look less saturated if you display them without colour management. Could be that the colour profile is being stripped off somewhere or you're viewing with a browser than doesn't support colour management.

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks Rick.

Does saving the images in Photoshop cc require you to save the colour management with them? There must be a setting in Photoshop for this.

I think this is what is happening.

Greg.
Old 17-06-2016, 08:23 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Does saving the images in Photoshop cc require you to save the colour management with them? There must be a setting in Photoshop for this.
Greg,

I'm still using CS6 but it probably isn't any different. Under the Edit menu is Color Settings. This is where you set the default colour profile for RGB. I normally use a wide gamut space like AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB. There are also a couple of useful settings that you can enable that will query you when you load an image that doesn't have a profile or has a profile that doesn't match your default. So long as an image has a profile assigned I believe that PS will attach an ICC profile when you save it.

The other two useful commands (also under Edit) are Assign Profile and Convert to Profile. Assign Profile is what you would use when you load an image that doesn't have an existing colour profile and Convert allows you to change it, e.g. from AdobeRGB to sRGB for web display.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 20-06-2016, 02:59 PM
gregbradley

Thanks Rick.

I am using Photoshop cc but I don't think it really evolved much beyond CS6 which is really the peak for Photoshop. CC has mucked around with the interface and display which I don't really like as it gets messy too easily and seems to follow the Windows trend of everything moving around easily.

Greg.