Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 26-07-2018, 05:55 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Advice on astro "party" hosting / info session.

Greetings All

After attending the ABC stargazing record attempt at a local Girl Guide hut, I've been asked to offer up an astro session for the kids. I'm less than 18 months into this hobby, and some wisdom would be much appreciated in making this successful.

I looked up the sticky "recipes for Star parties". Thinking this contained pointers for how to be successful in hosting such, I read on... Nope, it's literally cooking...

So, does anybody have some wisdom, and/or words of encouragement to assist me in this endeavour? Gear wise, I have access to the following:

C6 on Nextar6/8 AZ mount, with StarGPS.
102 Mak on AstroFi mount (with extra Celestron handset).
iOptron 80mm refractor on a GSO AZ mount
Perhaps a small newt on an AZ3 (possible future acquisition)

Another Guide Leader has a C8 on some kind of celestron clock drive mount, and will hopefully attend. I also have 2x poorly collimated 50mm binoculars that are 50ish years old.

Location is yet to be revealed to me (somewhere in Townsville, QLD), as are final numbers (25+, I'll update this post soon). I've attached 2 screenshots from SkySafari on these dates, for inspiration.

Thankyou kindly in advance,
Andy.

P.S. Mods, please move this thread if it's in the wrong section - Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20180725-151827.jpg)
147.9 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20180725-152511.jpg)
142.5 KB13 views
Old 26-07-2018, 07:13 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Andy,

I've done many outreach events, and it is something I love doing. I've also done an event with the Girl Guides too So much so that I've now started doing sidewalk astronomy too to get an outreach fix!

Naked eye stuff

When I'm the main/only host of an outreach night, I start things off with some naked eye stuff first. There is sooo much to see without any optical aides, and so few people actually know what it is that they are looking at.

Depending on what time you start off, if it happens to kick off right on sunset, I would start by pointing out the "Belt of Venus", a dark shadow that rises in the East as soon as the sets. It is actually the Earth's own shadow that is cast onto the atmosphere as the sun sets below the horizon! The largest shadow in the world - Earth's own shadow!

As the evening progresses, the planet are putting on a magnificent show. Mercury too is visible soon after sunset. This will give you 6 naked eye planets to see all at the same time - I'll leave it to you to figure out the 6...

There is also Neptune and Uranus, but these are purely telescopic objects.

Keeping on with the naked eye stuff, there is the Southern Cross and the Pointers. You can mention that for some Aboriginal nations the Cross is actually a stingray - easy to see how. In other nations, the Cross and pointers are a school of fish. You can point out Alpha Centauri & its distance to us. I don't say Alpha Centauri is 4.3light years away. Instead, I say "I get into my car, hit the Hyperdrive to travel at the speed of light, and it will still take me 4 and a half years to get there. Try to say things in terms that people have some grasp of to explain terms, such as light year, but try to avoid bamboozling them with astro jargon.

I also point out that while Alpha Centauri is "blah" distance from us, the bright star beside it is only slightly less brilliant, but it is some 260 lys from us. This means that the other star needs to be much, much bigger than Alpha Cent. to be nearly as bright.

You can next look at pointing out a Scorpion in the Sky! And from the stinger, if conditions allow, the faint fuzzy patch that is the Cloud of Sagittarius, which lies between us and the hub of the Milky Way galaxy, where again if you jump in your car and hit the Hyperdrive, it will take you 30,000 years to reach the centre of the Milky Way.

You can also point out that every single star that they can see individually is wholly within our Milky Way galaxy, and indicate the glow of the Milky Way in the sky. A galaxy is that is a real Giant in galaxy size terms. And that galaxies get bigger by swallowing up smaller ones, and that the MW is currently in the process of swallowing up 6 small galaxies right now!

Depending also on your location and proximity to city lights, the Aboriginal constellation of the Emu can also be pointed out.

All of this is just naked eye stuff!

Look to use terms people can relate to, and not too much jargon. Astronomy can be seen as being way too nerdy and geeky, so here's a chance to dispel some of these misconceptions.

With a scope

If you have a few scopes, and you are pretty much running the show yourself, try to rope in a one of parents/adults to man the easy to point AZ scopes and station them to work exclusively with the Moon. It will free you up immensely. If the parent/adult has no experience with scopes (like my wife did), show them how quick and easy it is to acquire the Moon BEFORE the main event kicks off (like I showed my wife one time), and they will be able to keep the Moon a target for you (which my wife was able to do, and she is an astro-phobe!). You can mention that the Moon is not just pock-marked with craters, but the place is laden with ancient lava flows and littered with long extinct volcanoes too!

Your two goto scopes, the Mak you can keep on Jupiter, with its four Galilean Moons, two main cloud belts, and maybe the GRS if it is visible. You man the C6, and don't tell people what you are going to show them first! Let it be a discovery they make for themselves - Saturn! It will be a tease for the crowd that you won't tell them what you are showing them first, but the thrill is one they will never forget.

Mars could be a big disappointment as currently the planet is experiencing a global dust storm that has obscured all surface details, and it will still be several months before the dust settles from the atmosphere. But one of its icy poles will be visible - snow on another planet!

The comet noted in your screenshot I suggest to give a miss - it is not bright and difficult to see, even through a scope.

With DSO's, before you start with them, mention a few things about how to view them, mainly that they need to be patient at the eyepiece. DSO's are all dim, and your eyes need to adapt to this. Mention how to use averted vision and how they have been using averted vision without knowing all their lives - in their bedroom with all the lights out, when they look at something directly in the dark the item seems to "disappear", but when they look just to one side of the item, it seems to magically re-appear! They are not mad! but perfectly human! This is exactly how our eyes work in dim light, and looking through a scope at DSO's uses this very same mechanism - averted vision.

With DSO's, you can point out a few objects:
* Omega Centauri - the remnant core of a galaxy the MW swallowed up a long, long time ago
* If still visible, the Jewel Box, and ask people if they can "spot the Rubies among the Diamonds?"
* The Lagoon Nebula - a stellar nursery which harbors brand new stars that are making the cloud of gas and dust glow, and that all these new stars are all siblings!
* For a galaxy, a bit tricky with a 6" scope, but not impossible. There's a couple you can try for, Centaurus A and M83 using low power.
* Alpha Centauri double star system - the only double star I would bother showing novices.

~x.X.x~

Be patient with people at the eyepiece. Using a scope is a very unique experience. When people come to view their first DSO, stand right beside them and speak quietly to them about how to look into the scope. It makes the instructions more intimate and doesn't panic the novices. They will quickly get the hang of it and will know what to do with the next DSO they view.

Tell people not to grab the scope or eyepiece! The motors of your scopes will not be too happy if this happens all night long. You can tell people that it is because of their own pulse making the scope shake - telling them that it hurts the scope is a bit alarmist. Your choice on how you explain things to them. Push-pull scopes are not so delicate, but the pulse issue is the main thing, plus that it moves the scope...

You don't need to show people too many DSO's. Half a dozen tops is fine, especially with the planets too. You will be flat out with all of this, you don't need too many DSO's

Enjoy the event! Be lighthearted with how you describe things. You will forget some things, and you will be challenged by some of the questions people will throw at you. If you make it easy to follow you will make it an enjoyable experience for everyone.

I hope this helps. I know I've thrown a fair bit at you, so read it over few times. I'm sure other people will make some more helpful contributions too

Alex.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:26 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Andy

Best advice is plan ahead. Qtr or 3Qtr is good for showing up details on the Lunar surface. You could even try pointing out where Apollo 11 landed. I usually do the Moon either first or last (most often) in the session. Planets are always good especially Jupiter and Saturn - Saturn will be the one thing most of them will remember looking at in 20-30 times. Venus can be good when it is waxing/waning - good evidence for heliocentric solar system.

Alpha Centauri - showing two of the stars that make up the triplet.
Albireo - another good binary to show how stars have different colours based on their temperature.

You can check Australian Sky and Telescope for their take on monthly highlights for viewing.

Here's a brilliant website that has monthly sky charts that can be printed off your viewing audience.

http://www.skymaps.com/

A set of constellation cards can be found here:

http://assa.saao.ac.za/how-to-observ...arts/concards/

(Sky Safari is also a great app for what's up and good to look at).

Here's a link for a very simple planisphere - it needs to be printed out on A3 card - A4 is usable, but a bit on the small side for young kids. Get your Guides to do this as a lead in activity and bring them along on the night.

http://www.docdb.net/downloads/ssw/ssw-v08.pdf

(This is the planispheres home website: http://www.psychohistorian.org/)

I'm sure that other IIS members will add to this list for your - it will be a full on night and you'll be flat out viewing objects and answering questions - but it will be a really worthwhile endeavour for those who attend and yourself.

Last thing - plan your viewing - planets first? stars? objects by transit time? all up to you.

Enjoy!

Paul
Old 26-07-2018, 09:05 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Thankyou very much Gentlemen, I'm blown away by the effort you've both put in! I was hoping this thread could become "sticky worthy" as a resource for upcoming astro event hosts. I think it's well on track, based on how well you've taught me.

Alex and Paul, I will be taking on all of this, and employing the wisdom you've shared I'll make preparations with the Guide leader well beforehand.

Please IIS, do continue...
Old 26-07-2018, 09:15 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Andy, 25 is not a big number so don't panic. If you are using 2 telescopes on your own use the ones with tracking and have a helper supervise the second scope. I wouldn't recommend setting up more than two scopes without an experienced helper, that's a lot of work.

Do a bit of a talk about some of the brighter objects to start of with, I usually check for ISS passes if your lucky that's always a crowd pleaser. As the others have said, stick with the brighter objects and not too many. By the time everyone has had a look at Jupiter and Saturn a couple of times the best part of a hour will have passed. Keep it simple and enjoy.

Rick
Old 26-07-2018, 09:35 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

No 1: focus on the brighter objects. They are easy to see, easy to find and still visible if the sky gets a bit mucky.
Know a little about the objects. Just one or 2 facts. You will be thrown questions and the most common is "how far away is it?" If you don't know the answer to a question, just say so, don't guess Misinformation is not what we try to achieve.
If kids ask questions, I always try to say, "Great question!" before giving an answer, even if the question seems silly or it has already been asked 5 times!!

Last time I did a public event, there was a nearly full moon and hazy high cloud that mean I couldn't find any alignment stars to look for any objects. So I just made sure I found the moon and had a camera showing a live pic of it to my laptop. Had a crowd of at least 20 there the whole time over about 3 hours and the loved it. As a backup I had some of my images and some other images on the lappy so I could show them those and talk about the objects and how I had captured them.

Malcolm
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Also, in between views, encourage everyone to keep looking up! Encourage folks to bring blankets, to make the night more comfortable on the ground.

There are satellites, meteorites and UFOs, that could come and go at any time!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:40 AM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Thumbs up to all previous suggestions!

A green laser pointer is an ideal (and impressive) way to make sure everyone is actually looking at the things you're describing. Not sure if it's 'legal' in your State.

Worth pointing out the apparent path of the Sun and planets and thus the visible Zodiac constellations. It's interesting for some to actually see 'their sign' in the night sky.

Certainly worth checking 'Heavens Above' to choose a date when there's an ISS pass. Any of the other brighter satellites will be a big hit.

A modern phenomenon: nearly everyone wants to take a view through the eyepiece with their phone. This can hold up proceedings ... I don't have any advice about this, maybe someone else can comment?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:25 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Thanks again Everyone,

I've checked HeavensAbove, and no IIS for those nights... Bogus. I'll look for other contenders soon.

Interesting point about the mobile phone AP... My first few shots of anything where through my phone. As poor as they look, I was incredibly excited. Pics related.

If resources allow, I'll endeavour to have a scope set aside for this, maybe the Guide Leader can use hers. I think a photo is definately a lasting souvenir of the event - an outcome worth aiming for at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn.jpg)
153.1 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (moon2.jpg)
118.8 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (Orion.jpg)
262.2 KB15 views
Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Nobull92 (Anthony)

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Just stumbled across this thread.
This is all really useful information.
Thank you

I hosted a small event (8 People) for the most recent eclipse. I picked up a smart phone adapter to take photos with and that worked really well. Instead of letting everyone try and take photos and muck around lining up 8 different phones with the adapter we just used one phone a distributed the photos. Everyone seemed happy enough with that
Old 13-08-2018, 10:39 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobull92 View Post
I hosted a small event (8 People) for the most recent eclipse. I picked up a smart phone adapter to take photos with and that worked really well. Instead of letting everyone try and take photos and muck around lining up 8 different phones with the adapter we just used one phone a distributed the photos. Everyone seemed happy enough with that
What a brilliant idea!

That will save sooooo much time! When you have 50 people all doing the same, this will streamline the whole event so much. Nothing worse while waiting in a queue that someone is stuffing around with their phone at the scope, and hand-aligning a phone is blooming tricky and time consuming.

Alex.
Old 13-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Especially in the dark! Something pre-setup will simplify things heavily.
Old 16-08-2018, 05:52 PM
docboat (Brian)

An excellent thread - I am considering starting up a stargazing club in our area. We are blessed, in the WA countryside, with beautiful dark skies, and our local CRC has purchased 3 6" Dobsonian scopes for hire. With several residents already owning a range of telescopes, and some interest from the school, there is certainly a place for a club.

I was wondering how to move on to the next phase: OK, you have seen the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. Now what are you going to do? I know what I do (Messier catalog) but will that draw the crowds?