Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 27-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Allan

Roll off roof system for ROR obs

I’m designing up my ROR obs for my dob and plan to start building in the next couple of months. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions. But for now, I’m thinking about the track system the roof rolls on.

I’ve seen a lot of designs with a concave type wheel running on a v-angle. My question with that, is how do you keep the roof attached so it doesn’t blow away?

I’m thinking about using a system where the wheel runs inside a C-channel. That way the wheel will be locked inside the channel, and secures the roof to the structure. Anyone use that or have links to information?

Do you lock the roof in position once it’s closed with tie down bolts or similiar?

Do you accept that the obs isn’t totally sealed as a gap remains between the roof and walls? I guess the gap could be as little as a few millimeters. I thought by sheeting down below the gap that will provide a certain amount of protection from the outside.

Finally, where do you guys get your wheels and tracks from?

Lots of questions there, so thanks for helping.
Old 27-04-2018, 08:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Hi Allan, I actually bought most of my roof roller equipment from Bunnings. I used simple galvanised steel angle iron, the reason being your wheels run on one surface and are contained by the outside face. Sure you can use C channel, but there is no need (imho) for an internal channel face if you have installed the L track properly. A wheel cannot leave its running surface to fall inside if the external side of the L channel contains it on its running surface on borh sides of the roof. I used simple nylon flat bottom caster wheels, and I think there are photos in my old obs build thread here. I have track stops made out of wood blocks at the end of my tracks.
For roof hold downs I use simple rated tie down straps at each corner which are looped through my corner braces. I highly recommend 45 degree angle corner braces at the top of each wall joint.
My obs has come through sustained winds of over 100kms in the big East coast low storm we had a couple years ago, no leaks, no damage.
For gap sealing around the roof to wall joint I simply used plastic brick damp course material, which is sold by the roll at Bunnings. It's black, textured, and easily stapled to the side of the roof as a track curtain. I covered the staples and top of the plastic curtain with a timber side curtain on the roof, so only about 10mm of the track curtain shows. It keeps put rain and wind and cannot blow upward because the timber side curtain contains it. I also used the same material to close the front gap where the roof slides back, I chose to use it instead of a solid flat type door. It bends easily over the track when moving back and forth.
This is all had to explain in just words, the photos in my archived thread will help, but your welcome to drop by and inspect my obs and get some ideas. There are many ways to arrive at the same function. Just PM me if you want to inspect, i am in Brisbane till the middle of next week but it's available after that. Cheers

Last edited by glend; 27-04-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 27-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Imme (Jon)

I have a 9mx6m roof set up like the attached.....hope the pic makes sense.

Wheel on a runner (6 wheels each side) with an L shaped piece of metal that goes below the runner so roof cant lift. Weather seal is achieved by a dropped overlap from rolling roof structure.

Mine is in the middle of a paddock with minimal protection from the elements. Weather station approx. 20m away recorded wind gust of 83kmh a few months back during a storm.....roof didn't move and no rain ever gets in
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Roof.jpg)
55.6 KB115 views
Old 27-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Wilso

You could use a garage sliding door track with twin heavy duty rollers would work.
Could also be used inverted if required. Straight off the shelf.
Good luck with your new obs
Old 27-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Marke (Mark)

Steel gate rollers with a matching steel C track works perfect and low profile the weight of the roof will keep it down and I just use turn buckles to lock it down when finished.
Old 27-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
You could use a garage sliding door track with twin heavy duty rollers would work.
Could also be used inverted if required. Straight off the shelf.
Good luck with your new obs
I had that idea a long time ago, and figured it was the ideal solution, but haven’t come across many people using it so far.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas, and drawings etc. This is going to be a fairly big structure, so I am primarily concerned that the roof is very securely attached to the walls at all times.
Old 27-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Steel gate rollers with a matching steel C track works perfect and low profile the weight of the roof will keep it down and I just use turn buckles to lock it down when finished.
Good sounding idea. Reading your post though, are you using the channel as C channel so the wheel is locked down and can’t lift up, or have you got the channel laying down in a U profile so to speak?
Old 28-04-2018, 12:21 AM
Marke (Mark)

The c channel is curve up the wheels are grooved to fit over it. It also has screw holes so you can screw the track straight down , mine been running perfect for 6yrs now
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180428_002731.jpg)
66.0 KB135 views
Old 28-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Allan

Nice setup Mark, thanks for the photo.