Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2018, 11:10 AM
RobC (Rob)

2.7" Hybrid Replacement Focuser For ED127

I am investigating purchasing one of the rebadged Long Perng 2.7" Hybrid focusers as a replacement focuser for my ED 127 focuser.

I would be interested to hear of any comments or experiences with this focuser.

http://www.longperng.com.tw/goods.php?act=view&no=71

https://www.telescopehouse.com/acces...r-focuser.html

https://www.primalucelab.com/astrono...efractors.html

Cheers

RobC
Old 15-08-2018, 09:46 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I had a nice NG 127mm triplet a while ago and optically it was very good but like you are finding the focuser was rubbish ! , I lashed out $900 on a Feather Touch 3135 and adaptor for it and man !!! that IS !! a focuser , but the price is 1/2 the total scope , see photo .

Fast forward to now and I have an excellent iStar 127mm f8 doublet with a member here's old 120 Esprit focuser ( he upgraded to a ML ) and while not perfect it is similar to the LP focuser you linked and after a bit of fiddling with have found it to be about 80% as good as the FT so you will really like one if you grab one , head and shoulders above the standard 127mm triplet focuser .

Hope this helps .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (022 (2).jpg)
161.7 KB33 views
Old 15-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Here is the ex Esprit 3 inch R&P focuser ( very similar to the LP one you linked ) fitted on my 127mm iStar , its a good focuser now after a bit of adjusting and it has kept it well for about 12 months now with lots of use .
It also holds an easy 1kg at vertical .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20170721_08_17_12_Pro (2).jpg)
198.1 KB29 views
Old 15-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Might as well go the whole hog here , so here is a LP 2 inch focuser on my 90mm Saxon , it is ton's better than the standard R&P that come off it and has better feel than the GSO liner 2 speed focuser on my 102mm Saxon .

LP know how to make nice quality gear .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20170324_14_27_48_Pro (2).jpg)
212.3 KB32 views
Old 15-08-2018, 10:34 AM
RobC (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
I had a nice NG 127mm triplet a while ago and optically it was very good but like you are finding the focuser was rubbish ! , I lashed out $900 on a Feather Touch 3135 and adaptor for it and man !!! that IS !! a focuser , but the price is 1/2 the total scope , see photo .

Fast forward to now and I have an excellent iStar 127mm f8 doublet with a member here's old 120 Esprit focuser ( he upgraded to a ML ) and while not perfect it is similar to the LP focuser you linked and after a bit of fiddling with have found it to be about 80% as good as the FT so you will really like one if you grab one , head and shoulders above the standard 127mm triplet focuser .

Hope this helps .

Brian.
As I own an Esprit 150 I know that the Esprit focusers are excellent. Also I have several friends that own Esprits and they are also in agreement about the excellent nature of the Esprit Focusers. In addition we have all motorised our Esprit focusers for imaging. We find it amusing why anybody would replace them with a ML or FT. Like you my gut feeling is that the Esprit focusers maybe manufactured by Long Perng.

Do you know where I may be able to pick up a replaced 120/150 Esprit focuser. Failing that I will probably purchase one of the rebadged LP ones from Europe.

Thanks and Cheers

Rob
Old 15-08-2018, 10:37 AM
RobC (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Might as well go the whole hog here , so here is a LP 2 inch focuser on my 90mm Saxon , it is ton's better than the standard R&P that come off it and has better feel than the GSO liner 2 speed focuser on my 102mm Saxon .

LP know how to make nice quality gear .

Brian.
Can you please post an underneath photograph of the focuser and tell us where you purchased it from.

Cheers

Rob
Old 15-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Here you go Rob .

I got this from Andrews Communications about 3 years ago for the total price of $49 , I think they have sold out now and as you can see they were off an 80mm f480 refractor of some sort , its been an awesome focuser that has never needed tuning and as this is my wife's scope it gets lots of use .
I machined up a 1mm thick adaptor for it to fit the 90mm tube , see photos .

The Esprit focuser I got for my iStar was in need of urgent surgery as it was really terrible in use and I had to completely strip it , clean it and carefully lubed and adjust it yep these are super fiddly to get right ( that's why the origonal owner had , had enough ! ) but once sorted , like you say these are very , very good .

This one had tiny bits of swarf in the fine focus ball race small but plenty enough to not work well .

Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Can you please post an underneath photograph of the focuser and tell us where you purchased it from.

Cheers

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180815_132829 (2).jpg)
190.2 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180815_132911 (2).jpg)
199.8 KB27 views