Old 20-09-2017, 02:04 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

DSLR Mod

Would it be worth modding my Canon 1200D for DSO or better off getting a dedicated DSI CCD?

I am not sure where I can get the mod done or who can do it.
Old 20-09-2017, 06:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Would it be worth modding my Canon 1200D for DSO or better off getting a dedicated DSI CCD?

I am not sure where I can get the mod done or who can do it.
Maybe try a mod.
There is a memeber here who may volunteer to do a mod for you at a reasonable price.
If you get a mono camera you need to include in the budget filters and a filter wheel.
You could consider buying a camera already with the mod as they seem reasonably priced.

Good luck I am going thru the same at the moment ...

alex
Old 20-09-2017, 09:57 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

I have a 1200d which I am attempting to do a cooled mod on. The filter removal mod is the easy part. But the electronics are pretty well packed in the 1200d so I need to work out how to get the cold finger in.
Bo
Old 21-09-2017, 11:22 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Maybe try a mod.
There is a memeber here who may volunteer to do a mod for you at a reasonable price.
If you get a mono camera you need to include in the budget filters and a filter wheel.
You could consider buying a camera already with the mod as they seem reasonably priced.

Good luck I am going thru the same at the moment ...

alex
Hi Alex,
Stefan does not mention going to a mono CCD as an option. An OSC would be a better comparison to a DSLR unless you are going to debayer it as well. ( Talk to Glen about THAT one !! ) No Filters etc needed in that case.
A small sensor Astrocam for DSO or other imaging from ZWO for instance is about the same as having a conversion done.

Bo, I assume you have found the earlier thread on cooled DSLRs that a few of us posted about a year or so back. I don't know how the 1200D compares internally with the 450D we experimented with at the time but there might be some bits that can be left out to improve access to the sensor. The 450D had a small board for audio output, Obviously not required.

I am currently using a 1200D. It works well unmodded for DSO targets. I'd stick with it then make the jump to a mono camera and filters as I am about to do. Sees to be the next obvious step up to better imaging.
Old 21-09-2017, 12:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Yeah, i would suggest thinking very hard, and reading my mono mod thread, before you start trying to make a mono DSLR. No one can get the first attempt correct, be prepared to buy a couple of replacement sensors, or donor bodies. It is the last mod anyone should attempt, in other words, if you have successfully done a full spectrum mod, then a cold finger cooling mod, at that point your skills are nearly ready for a mono mod, IMHO. Remember you would need to buy a filter drawer (from TS), and filters, as well. I have never seen a filter wheel successfully mated to a DSLR, and backfocus spacing is why.
If you want a low cost, great performing, cooled mono camera, buy an ASI1600MM-C, or the QHY variant; they are proven performers.
Old 21-09-2017, 01:26 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

I was thinking of trying out my 1200D unmodded as a test to see how it performs. I might do that for a while before any modding or going to a CCD.

I am guessing Backyard EOS is the software package to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Hi Alex,
Stefan does not mention going to a mono CCD as an option. An OSC would be a better comparison to a DSLR unless you are going to debayer it as well. ( Talk to Glen about THAT one !! ) No Filters etc needed in that case.
A small sensor Astrocam for DSO or other imaging from ZWO for instance is about the same as having a conversion done.

Bo, I assume you have found the earlier thread on cooled DSLRs that a few of us posted about a year or so back. I don't know how the 1200D compares internally with the 450D we experimented with at the time but there might be some bits that can be left out to improve access to the sensor. The 450D had a small board for audio output, Obviously not required.

I am currently using a 1200D. It works well unmodded for DSO targets. I'd stick with it then make the jump to a mono camera and filters as I am about to do. Sees to be the next obvious step up to better imaging.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:21 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Filter removal (IR mod) is relatively easy to do on 1200D, did about a year ago. You can find disassembly videos on the net describing how to do it. The Ha response improves significantly after this, as expected.

Regarding software, either Backyard EOS or APT (Astrophotography Tools) work well.
Old 22-09-2017, 07:11 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
I was thinking of trying out my 1200D unmodded as a test to see how it performs. I might do that for a while before any modding or going to a CCD.

I am guessing Backyard EOS is the software package to use?
Yep, works a treat with the 1200D, well worth the outlay.
As both Luka and Glen say removing the IRCut filter is relatively easy and does allow more of them pesky photons to be captured. I can get away without having a sensor cool mod on it over here in NZ even in summer it's manageable. But I think the Aust temps are a bit more dramatic so it becomes a very nice to have mod.

The 1200D and it's predecessor the 1100D ( and probably the 1300D ) had a good low noise 18 mp sensor to start with and were the cheapest Canon with the right features hence it's popularity with the astrocrowd.

I suggest you start using unmodded with BYEos and get the hang of things first. Then contemplate your next move either to mod it or move to a dedicated astro camera. You can still sell it later to recoup some of the cost. I'm going to hang on to mine as an OSC option as my buy is mono next ( and soon )
Old 22-09-2017, 12:48 PM
traveller (Bo)

All good suggestions so far.
I am currently using a modded 1100D (uncooled) and am very impressed with its results. Upgraded to a mono and EFW setup a couple of months ago but the weather has been "less than ideal" in Melbourne since
Anyway, my plan is to cool my second hand 1200D and use it as a OSC. Yes, I read the 450D cold finger mod by Rowland and but I think the 1200D has tighter internals than the 450D, but will try and work with that.
Stefan, if you need me to mod your 1100D, just send me a PM. It's quite easy to do as other have said if you want to experiment yourself.
cheers
Bo
Old 22-09-2017, 06:58 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Stefan,

Modification of DSLR's can mean a lot of things. I had my 450D "modded" by Peter Tan in Honkong (mailed it, received it-no issues, good price).
The mod I requested was a change of the IR cut filter not a removal. I now have a Baader IR filter in place of the Canon filter. The Baader lets all Halpha spectrum pass but keeps longer wavelengths out. This means the camera still autofocuses correctly and with the aid of a Astronomik OWB filter I can use it for daytime without having to do custom white balance all the time. To me this was a no brainer as I love my DSLR and just wanted more versatility instead of having a "dedicated" astrocam (useless for anything else).
Modifications such as a complete removal of the IR cut filter or maybe even the antialiasing filter will render your DSLR pretty much useless for daytime photography.
I often think about going cooled mono but I am a backyard enthusiast without observatory. I need an hour to put everything together on the lawn and spend considerable time pol aligning, framing and finding the right exposure times. What is left of the night between 45deg east and 45west has to count in subexposures (suburban light pollution and hedges, house limit view to horizon). Going mono with filters means even less data that contributes to a full colour image and more hassle (time behind the screen) to combine.
A Baader mod opens up the sensor to a whole new game: CLS and UHC clip in filters work with perfect out of the box white balance, hydrogen nebulae show much more detail and stuff just appears where before there was just a hint of something (Barnards Loop i.e.). If you are not sure about moddding a DSLR, have a similar working environment and like to keep the camera usable for daytime, then have it Baader modded and play for a few more years ��.
If you have a more permanent setup and a few more dollars to spend - go ballistic (cooled, mono, filter wheel, on chip guiding)!!!

Cheers,
Old 24-09-2017, 04:48 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

FYI www.lifepixel.com navigate to the DIY tutorials. Same process, but with an IR filter.

Off topic.

Bo. Would you be happy to post a few pics of the 1200D sensor in another thread. I cant find a decent close up of a 1200D sensor assembly without its covers.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:05 AM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Rowland,
I will start a new thread soon and post some photos. Been busy with a new job. Hope all is well with you and will be in touch!
Bo
Old 25-09-2017, 10:25 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
I am currently using a modded 1100D (uncooled) and am very impressed with its results. Upgraded to a mono and EFW setup a couple of months ago but the weather has been "less than ideal" in Melbourne since
Anyway, my plan is to cool my second hand 1200D and use it as a OSC. Yes, I read the 450D cold finger mod by Rowland and but I think the 1200D has tighter internals than the 450D, but will try and work with that.
Stefan, if you need me to mod your 1100D, just send me a PM. It's quite easy to do as other have said if you want to experiment yourself.
cheers
Bo
Thanks for that!

Will see how I go unmodded first
Old 29-09-2017, 09:30 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
cheers
Bo
Yep will do, thank you!