Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-01-2014, 05:43 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
I'll do the height measurements as per astrobaby's site, but if delrin shims are required, where do you source them from?
There's contact details in this thread for Doug Dieter. He makes them:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=55025
Old 29-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
hi,

I captured this PE data with a star at the meridian through thin clouds.

Cheers
Alistair
The PE posted is not correct, either you have your image scale wrong. Or you had guiding enabled during capture. I am only nitpicking because I dont want someone to go through this thread and think they can get an EQ6 to 2 arc seconds peak to peak. You cant.
Old 29-01-2014, 07:50 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
The PE posted is not correct, either you have your image scale wrong. Or you had guiding enabled during capture. I am only nitpicking because I dont want someone to go through this thread and think they can get an EQ6 to 2 arc seconds peak to peak. You cant.
I agree. Something funny going on there.
I was not guiding for sure, and pretty sure I got the image scale right but I did use the stf8300 and not a webcam or guidecam so not sure if that can skew data. Not sure if it used subframes.

I'll do another pe capture with eqmod's perecorder and post results along with screen shots of the settings. Perhaps I'm missing something

I can't edit that post to delete the graphs.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
hi peter,

have a look at Peter_4059's short PE capture here, from my understanding, that's a deviation of about 0.5pixels at 3.7 arcsec/pixel which is around the 1.9 arcsec mark and is similar to my graph.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=115962

I've also seen PE graphs in the EQ6 yahoo groups with 4arcsec PE.
is there something fundamentally wrong with what all these measurements show?

hope to get some new PE data shortly.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I finished installed my EQ6 belt mod kit a couple of weekends ago. New ceramic worm bearings on RA and DEC, superlube grease, belt mod installed. Checked delrin spacer sizes and replaced a couple of old worn ones (spacers).

Pros: - No grinding at all now, just sings along
- DEC axis beautifully tight compared to play it used to have
- During PEC runs Sat night the DEC trackings was unusually flat and well-behaved. Fingers crossed that's a regular occurence.
- less play in RA
- PE smoother and about 25% less

Cons: - my PE was always poor (around 30-50" peak to peak), and although things are smoother it would seem the bulk of my PE movement is in the worm/gear which the belt mod hasn't affected (it has however reduced smaller scale blips and bounces). Its still just not feasible to do long exposure images without PEC programmed on this mount, alas, which gets residual PE under +/- 7 to 10". I guess I'll have to keep saving for my EQ8 or AP mount after all

There was quite a bit of play in the bearings for my old transfer gears, so you can see things have to be better with belts if carefully installed. I tried to get decent backlash values pre-mod, but its just been too cloudy here - would be very surprised if both axes aren't a lot better in that regard.

In the meantime its been incredibly useful to understand the innards of my mount which has been on my To Do list for ages. Much more confident in how to tweak these beasts now. I'd recommend the mod for anyone contemplating an overhaul any day. The whole kit from Dave was wonderfully engineered with great instructions - a pleasure to work with.

Last edited by RobF; 04-03-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 18-05-2014, 11:37 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Doing this my self atm, cleaning out bearings is a pain though!