Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2013, 08:27 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

IISAC2013 - First time attendee

Hopefully I will not be the only first time attendee at IIS Star Party ( i hope you attract lots of new people). I thought I would start a thread for those like me who have never been to a star party (other than Saturday nights once or twice at Linden). Hopefully other newbies will find the answers helpful.

I need to start planning way ahead of time. I understand there is a charge? Is it set as yet what it will be and what does it cover?

What time on the Thursday can I plan to be able to get onto the site to set up. I understand we need to pack up and leave by 11am on the sunday, after helping with the clean up of the site.

I gather from reading what is available from earlier parties that it is OK to park on the observing ground and camp next to your car with your telescope. Is this correct? I understand the need to be very careful with no white light (mask off door, boot lights etc). As a handicapped person I need to consider these things as lugging equipment around will be a problem.

Looking forward to it.
Roger
Old 18-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerco View Post
I understand there is a charge? Is it set as yet what it will be and what does it cover?
Yes depending on whether you stay in the bunkhouse or camp.
Mike will have the fees up shortly, but they cover registration, accommodation, meals (optional), etc.

Quote:
What time on the Thursday can I plan to be able to get onto the site to set up. I understand we need to pack up and leave by 11am on the sunday, after helping with the clean up of the site.
We arrived about 12noon on the Thiursday and there were already many people there. People leave after breakfast on the Sunday.

Quote:
I gather from reading what is available from earlier parties that it is OK to park on the observing ground and camp next to your car with your telescope. Is this correct?
Yes. the lower observing field is where we go. Park. Set up tent. Set up Telescopes near your stuff.
Quote:
I understand the need to be very careful with no white light (mask off door, boot lights etc).
Well, yes, this is mentioned in the conditions, but this is a very INFORMAL star party. I have never seen anyone with masked headlights etc. It is polite to disable your interior lights if you can. Camping lights should be controlled when observing is on.
No one is going to kick you out if you accidentally blast a white light. But you will get a few shouts to be more careful.

Quote:
As a handicapped person I need to consider these things as lugging equipment around will be a problem.
Looking forward to it.
Roger
There should be plenty of people happy to help.
Depending on the extent of any handicap, it may be wise to camp close to the facilities.

Hope to see you there
Al
Old 18-01-2013, 10:22 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Yep, looking at the map I was thinking the water hole end. The handicap it just that I only have the use of one hand so I just like to keep things close.

Thanks for all the answers.
Old 19-01-2013, 11:44 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Hi Roger,

I hope to be a first-time IIS attendee as well. Waiting for information on prices so I can decide whether to go for the bunkhouse or not.

There will be plenty of help, perhaps offered and requested. I went to the South Pacific Star Party a few years ago and found myself helping to move someone's 17.5" Dob!

Hope to see you there.

Morton
Old 20-01-2013, 07:13 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Allan has done a great job answering all of the questions, thanks Allan.

I'm planning to get the info page up and running in the next week or two - sorry for the delay, I usually try and have it done by now (3 months out).
Old 21-01-2013, 07:21 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

I am also thinking of attending this years camp. It will be a first for me also. Depending on work circumstances, I'd really like to get up there. Not sure if I'll bring any gear up or just check out how things work for next time?

Erik
Old 23-01-2013, 12:40 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Not sure if I'll bring any gear up or just check out how things work for next time?

Erik

Erik, DO bring your stuff! You will gain a whole lot more if you have your gear there too. You'll have folks help out with any questions you may have on fine tuning, and even borrow others stuff to see how it performs in your scope. Nothing to stop you from having a squiz through others scopes if you bring your own, but the experience is greater.

If you are really excited about the night time, having your own gear there means you can go all night without needing to depend on others for a look.

Please don't be concerned about your stuff "stacking up" or not. Even if all you have is a pair of binos, bring them! You'll be surprised how much more enriching the experience will be for you, and how much more you'll learn and see while using them.

Mental.
Old 23-01-2013, 01:47 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Definitely take your gear!!
The first Star Party I went to, I arrived in the arvo, had a look at all the impressive scopes on the field and thought, I am not getting my little thing (130mm Saxon Newt) out. Once I met a couple of people they encouraged me to set up and we had a great night comparing the view in my scope and others. Also they answered a few queries I had about setting it up.

Definitely worthwhile!

Malcolm
Old 23-01-2013, 06:07 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Smile

I only have a couple of nights up at Linden (Blue Mountains NSW) to go by. But if the WSAAG crowd are anything to go by you will be made most welcome Erik, and definitely bring whatever gear you have, even a pair of binoculars (in fact definitely a pair of binoculars!!) you will not regret it. I am really looking forward to what I will learn. I just hope I don't bring the clouds with me

Roger
Old 18-02-2013, 09:17 PM
absolut (Rob)

Talking I am also a first timer

Hi,

This will be my first IISAC as well!

I'm looking forward to getting back under a real sky to do some observing!

My equipment is modest, but I'm always told it isn't the size that counts, but how you use it!...

I'm checking the IISAC2013 info page nightly for that registration link to appear... not sure I've been this enthusiastic about something in a while!

I hope we have perfect people and ok skies. At a pinch I'll accept ok people and perfect skies!

Rob
Saxon 909EQ2
Old 19-02-2013, 06:22 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great to hear, Rob! I'm getting excited too.

The registration page will hopefully be ready in a few days. You can be sure I'll let everyone know on IIS.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:45 AM
absolut (Rob)

Registered!

Woohoo!

Registered for IISAC2013!!
(Firefox doesn't seem to like the shop's certificate though..)

Just need to not go silly on buying "supplies"...

Thanks for the organising efforts Mike!

Rob
Old 25-02-2013, 08:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut View Post
(Firefox doesn't seem to like the shop's certificate though..)
Thanks Rob!

The SSL certificate is being renewed this morning (it expired yesterday, and the reminder went to a non-existent email address )
Old 31-03-2013, 04:09 AM
aries075 (Anthony)

1st timer geting there is the easy part,its getting home...

my name is anthony & its my 1st time at an iisac event ever very excited about coming but vary warey about getting back home as i dont have any transport my mum is dropping me off on the 10th & im fending for myself so im asking the fellow astronomy community who have a heart & some space in their car if anyone is going back to syd after the camp is finished pls let me know i can pay you cash up front for the lift no problem just need to get back to syd so i can bus it back home.my setup if you could call it that is very cheap to what im seeing on here mose well loook thru a glad wrap tube ive a celestron 130 reflector my camrea is a nikon d 3100 ive had my scope around 6 months & to this day ive not seen a damn thing thru it even took it to parkes in oct last yr nothing due to full moon that wk thnk you very much not.!i just wannaa see something,anything & hpefull y take apic of something but need guidence in showing how to do everything as i no nothing thnks for your eyes & time hope to have a reply about a lift soon desperate.