Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Hillary 6 part TV series

I am trying to get hold of this series. It was produced in NZ about 18 months ago from what I can gather, have done the Google search without any solid leads.
Any ideas/help appreciated.
Old 15-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

I caught some of it on TV I thought it was on SBS but it looks like it was on Channel 10/ channel One. Not sure if this link still works?
https://tenplay.com.au/channel-one/hillary
Old 15-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks Pete only showing episode one. Have seen that one.
Old 15-07-2018, 08:15 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Peter,

Whilst waiting for some processing, I looked into this issue.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/hillary/episodes/s2014-e1

All Eps are here, though it's geoblocked. I ran through a proxy, and got *mostly* through that, to which it demanded a NZTV.co account be set up. I did this. You need to use the "token URL" method to confirm the membership (2nd option), rather than checking your email/clicking the link.

The proxy method is messy, and I don't suggest it. A VPN service, using a "1st month free" offer, is probably your best bet. Remember to set New Zealand as the server, in this instance.

From that point, you can watch it live, or use a Youtube downloader browser extension to keep it.

I need to do this stuff every week for work, though ironically, I watch zero TV myself. I hope this helps you somehow.

Cheer, Andy.
Old 15-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks Andy, looks a tad messy. I had a VPN up until a couple of months ago, never made full use of it and let the membership slip.

Ok now got a VPN setup and showing a NZ server, but still will not allow me to connect saying I am not in NZ. Help.....

Last edited by Exfso; 15-07-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 17-07-2018, 08:30 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Hi Peter,

I've had a bash at different things, and we have a winner:
https://www.smartdnsproxy.com

I used the 2 week free trial of the above DNS solution, and followed their directions. I then changed the PC's timezone to Auckland, NZ.

Opened up: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/hillary/episodes/s2014-e4

Signed up for an account. I used the URL token, rather than the email link (2nd option). Videos now play without a fuss. 2 weeks trial should be enough to get through the series. As a bonus, my Wife's Japanese Amazon Prime Video is now viewable here too.

Remember in the SmartDNS settings to change your "Channel B" country to "new Zealand". This is where TVNZ is categorised in SmartDNS.

See pic below for proof - Happy watching
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Winrar.jpg)
73.9 KB9 views
Old 17-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Andy do you mean the PC that you want to view it on gets changed to Aucklands time zone?

Well Andy, finally got it to work, only problem was the damn adverts, but I suppose a small price to pay hey...very much appreciate your efforts on this one.

Last edited by Exfso; 17-07-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 17-07-2018, 09:12 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Andy do you mean the PC that you want to view it on gets changed to Aucklands time zone?
Absolutely To be honest, I didn't try this WITHOUT the timezone step, but as we both saw, the site did complain about the timezone variable when it rejected us before. I though it would be best to give TVNZ.co.nz one less thing to whinge about
Old 17-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Not sure if it was a glitch, but when I changed my details back the modem decided to shut down and I had to reboot my computer to get things up and running again, seemed very coincidental to me.
Old 18-07-2018, 08:30 AM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Not sure if it was a glitch, but when I changed my details back the modem decided to shut down and I had to reboot my computer to get things up and running again, seemed very coincidental to me.
Bogus... Did you change the DNS settings on the PC (windows - presumably), or in the router? Either would work. Changing it in Windows network settings would affect only that PC (naturally), whilst changing the DNS setting in the Router's WAN page would affect the whole house. Changing the setting in the router could cause a reboot, depending on what options where clicked, whilst fiddling with Windows Network settings has no influence on the router (therefore coincidence).

That aside, did it work for you? Could you view the show? I'm tempted to buy this service myself, as it actually worked, unlike my VPN attempts previously. My Wife is concerned Amazon will bust her and ban her from their service. I put to her that she's just a number, and they couldn't possibly care...
Old 18-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Yep it worked fine, got the stream fine as well as the damn adverts I only changed the settings in Windows, left the router alone.
As an aside, what I did notice when I was connected through the VPN that I could not send emails from outlook, they just sat in my outbox. No problem receiving them though.
Old 18-07-2018, 09:58 AM
AndyG (Andy)

Excellent, glad it worked Indeed, the outgoing mail will not function whilst the alternative DNS is used. I suspect you're using POP3 email, rather than IMAP?

There are various things you can do to make this changeover more convenient. Pursuing that depends on whether this is an ongoing situation, or just for access to this one-off series. Do let me know if this is ongoing.

Cheers, Andy.
Old 18-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Exfso (Peter)

This is not an on going thing, it was a one off for this series. I can usually access all the stuff I need via other sources. Yep I have POP3.