Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-07-2018, 03:39 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

How Nice is This .....

Spotted this at a Mountain Lookup .... Hippy / Surfer Van.

It even has Air' Con

All that's missing is a couple of Surfboards on the Roof ....

Has a Subaru Engine Conversion ...!!

Col....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
204.4 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
206.8 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
161.3 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (4.jpg)
154.7 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (5.jpg)
136.2 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (6.jpg)
201.7 KB64 views
Click for full-size image (7.jpg)
205.4 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (8.jpg)
217.0 KB60 views
Old 22-07-2018, 03:50 PM
leon

Very nice Col, that is going back a few years.

Leon
Old 22-07-2018, 05:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Gee, I wonder if Col was in Toowoomba?
Old 22-07-2018, 07:49 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Gee, I wonder if Col was in Toowoomba?

Nope .... no Cigar
Old 22-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

My dad used to have the Ute version of that beautiful shaped Kombi. That particular one you posted would be something I would snap up in an instant the minute I win the lottery......
Some beautifully restored models sell north of $100k
Old 23-07-2018, 09:29 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I once had (in my late teens), a '76 L Bug, '74 Kombi, and a Type3 Wagon who's year I forget. People didn't want them, so they dumped them on me. The Beetle was my pride and joy, and most weekends were spent restoring it. By the time I started uni, it was de-rusted, repainted metallic gun metal grey, with all new rubbers and, seats and trim. Bless Brazilian NOS. Knowing an aircraft surface finisher, and motor trimmer went a long way. Any time not spent working on it, was spent working to pay for it. My girlfriend at the time dropped me for "not spending any time with her". I was upset for all of 1.5mins.

Just as a new motor was about to go in, my old man sold it for $800, and gave me half. Having spent $1500 in parts, and countless hours working for others to balance helping me, I was without words...

No photos, as this was in film camera time, and we didn't have dough for that stuff.
Old 23-07-2018, 12:38 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I once had (in my late teens), a '76 L Bug, '74 Kombi, and a Type3 Wagon who's year I forget. People didn't want them, so they dumped them on me. The Beetle was my pride and joy, and most weekends were spent restoring it. By the time I started uni, it was de-rusted, repainted metallic gun metal grey, with all new rubbers and, seats and trim. Bless Brazilian NOS. Knowing an aircraft surface finisher, and motor trimmer went a long way. Any time not spent working on it, was spent working to pay for it. My girlfriend at the time dropped me for "not spending any time with her". I was upset for all of 1.5mins.

Just as a new motor was about to go in, my old man sold it for $800, and gave me half. Having spent $1500 in parts, and countless hours working for others to balance helping me, I was without words...

No photos, as this was in film camera time, and we didn't have dough for that stuff.

Pray tell ... what did you do to your ' old man ' for doing that ...
Old 23-07-2018, 04:52 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Pray tell ... what did you do to your ' old man ' for doing that ...
Hi Col,

A very fair question, with a simple answer. There was a fair serving of mental health issues in my family, and disagreements escalated in an upredictable and disproportionate fashion. Though this car was involved in a few such disagreements, I honestly think it was not an act of revenge. I'd already moved out of home, and this Bug sat next to Dad's 3-4 old Falcons in the back yard. He just said he was "making room" (on 5 acres... ok). I believe him (even then), as he simply could not think of others naturally.

It's all water under the bridge now. We've all learned to treat each other better since. It's hard for most young people to know the difference between mental sickness, and a "bad person" who deserves anger. If I knew what I know now, I would have acted differently.
Old 24-07-2018, 07:46 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Great restoration of an old icon.
We never had on of these but as a teen my parents had a beetle.
There were five kids and two adults squeezed into this.
Still remember the trips with the youngest on mums lap, 3 in the back seat and taking turns in the very back of the beetle.
They solved this with a new vw wagon so 2 of us could sit in the very back (on the engine) on trips to melbourne!
Still remember the summers in the very back cooking away breathing exhsust fumes. These days you cant even put a dog in the back!!
The good old days

Also i bet there are not many of these engines left especially the mag alloy ones.
I was at a party years ago and a guy said he had a couple of kilos of magnesium.
He then got an engine block and put it on the fire outside.
About 20 minutes later it ignited and turned the whole valley into day.
You couldn't even look at it, and if you did i bet you would have permanent damage. It went for about 15 minutes of daytime and then back to stumbling around in the dark.
This was a combi engine block. I bet you can still hear the dying screams as its burning away.
Cheers
Andy
Old 25-07-2018, 07:45 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

A mate many years ago had a Kombi, we used to go to Pukekohe Racetrack to watch the cars. One trip we got tailended by another car on the way there and if you remember rightly the battery was located in the right rear corner behind the bumper. The rear end crash destroyed the battery so while my mate argued with the perpetrator we pulled his battery out of his car and swapped it into the Kombi with a bit of Heath Robinson securing. We then drove off, dunno what happened to him.

Thing was built like a brick s...house. We used to sit on the roof with a few beers and watch the cars go by.