Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM
jezza

Astrophotography beginner info?

Does anyone know where I can find info on astrophotography for beginners?
I have a Canon20D attached prime focus (I think?) using an extension tube and 20mm eyepiece on a 5'' MAK. Have tried shooting moon, but only mange to get centre in focus. Rest is a blur.... Camera was set at 400iso 1/250sec exp
Must be doing something stupid, or is this what happens with the edges of eyepieces? Pardon my ignorance, but any advice or links to info appreciated.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi jezza.

If you are shooting prime focus then there is no eyepiece involved. The camera attaches directly to where your diagonal would normally be. If you are using an eye piece then you are either trying afocal photography or positive eyepiece projection with a tele extender (This sound like what your doing) Do you have a second digital camera that you can take an image of your set up so we can get a better idea of how you have it set up.

BTW try dropping your ISO down to 100. With the moon being so bright you don't need such a fast speed and you should get cleaner images with less "grain"
Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
jezza

Paul
Will try to shoot my setup tonight. Will also go without eyepiece. Thanks for the help.
Jezza
Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Jezza are you looking for books on astrophotography or websites?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM
jezza

Paul
Thanks for advice. Shot moon without eyepiece. Worked fine except can't get good focus. Will keep trying.
I was originally told to place an eyepiece or Barlow in the camera adaptor extension tube and connect via diagonal or straight through the back of scope. Looks like I was given a bum steer. Didn't get to shoot my equipment unfortunately.

As far as info on astrophotography, would prefer website if available, or recommended books otherwise.
Cheers Jezza
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Robby

Grab the latest issue of Sky & Space. It has an excellent & comprehensive article on beginner Astrophotography. Written by Chris Venter who has done some impressive work.
Cheers
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

chris venter is also a member of this forum FYI
good luck with your pic taking, and yes a iso 100 will work better on the moon
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

If you are looking for books... "Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael A. Covington is not bad. Has good depth, from beginners stuff up to some of the finer details for advanced users (I'm not there yet! ).

Al.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
cventer

Astrophotography for the Amateur" by Michael A. Covington is pretty good and what got me started. Its very focused on manual film cameras and is a little dated nowdays especially with Digital Imaging plus webcams you are better off getting Robert Reeves Book "Introduction to Digital Astrophotography"

Make sure for moon shots you use the mirror lockup feature on your 20D. Also focus on a nearby star then slew back to the moon.

Regards
Chris