Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Takahashi LE Eyepieces

Last night was the first time I have been disappointed with the performance of Takahashi LE eyepieces. Looking at Jupiter through the AP130GTX using a couple of LE eyepieces from my collection I was presented with image glow and bit of reflection. This is the second use of the GTX so I trust it isn't anything to do with this scope. Time to try another brand. Is it possible that eyepieces perform better in one scope and poorly in another. Maybe the LE's aren't suited to shorter FL scopes..anyway it has me beat at the moment. I did note your eye position is critical to getting a better view.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The only glow issues I have personally seen with the LE's is with the 20 and the 7.5. All the others I have owned/tried have been great. I use them through my FSQ-106 at f/5 and f/8, and no issues apart from those 2. I found these 2 did it with native f/8 instruments too.

My favourite EP's though still have to be the original Masuyamas and the Parks Gold Series (foolishly sold the Parks to Flashdrive ).

I have tried Naglers - LOATHE them - soft, bloaty stars compared to even Vixen NLV's etc.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Wilso

Interesting,
I haven't had any issues with the Le's 5, 7.5 and 30 that I have.
In both the fsq85 f5.3 and TSA 102 f8.
Originally had to return the Le 30 with quality control issues (air bubble in lens)
but other than that they have been great.

Hans which focal lengths did you try?
I also have the Tak abbe ortho 9mm which was very sharp also with no issues.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

I had no issues with LE's when used on my Mewlon 250, FS-78, FSQ-106N or the FSQ-106ED so they play nicely with Tak scopes. No issues either in a TEC 200 f/15 Mak-Cass. Maybe it was unfavourable conditions because my observing session was cut short by the arrival of clouds.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

There have been reported issues with certain runs of the LE's, particularly - as I found out - the LE20.

The LE's in my AP Star 12ED were not overly fantastic, yet the Parks Gold Series "Masuyama clones" were stunning. The (real) Masuyamas on the other hand were not great in the AP, but incredible in the Taks (my FSQ and the Masuyama originals are just perfect).