Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 25-10-2018, 11:33 AM
glend (Glen)

Adobe CC Software - now requiring Operating System Updates

I had an email from Adobe overnight, advising me that new releases of the Creative Cloud Apps (like Photoshop CC, Lightroom, etc) will require my device to be running the latest operating system. I am still on WIN8 and have no intention of going to WIN10. They have not offered me an alternative, which is sad given the years of subscription payments I have made.

The PI fanboys can give it a rest, I won't be going in that direction.
Old 25-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Have a serious look at the latest PaintShopPro, does everything that PS does without the cost and Agro.
I also use AstroArt for all the camera control, guiding and plate solving.
Old 25-10-2018, 11:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yep, the push to always upgrade and spend more money for no real reason. I dropped off the race at CS6. Never had need for anything else since then. Still on win7 as well. Will stick to it as long as it lasts and I get muscled out of it eventually.
Old 25-10-2018, 12:40 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Yep, the push to always upgrade and spend more money for no real reason. I dropped off the race at CS6. Never had need for anything else since then. Still on win7 as well. Will stick to it as long as it lasts and I get muscled out of it eventually.
Me too Marc.
I refuse to upgrade past CS6 and Win7.
Adobe and MS, the original Ransomware duo.

Old 25-10-2018, 02:07 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Me too Marc.
I refuse to upgrade past CS6 and Win7.
Adobe and MS, the original Ransomware duo.

Adobe started it, then Autodesk followed then MS. Now everybody's on the band wagon.
Old 25-10-2018, 04:38 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

I have no problem with subscription models at all (esp for an app as good as PS) but I am a bit alarmed MS would curtail support for WIN 8.1 so soon. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, it's about time to move to WIN 10 anyway. Meh, life goes on.

CS6 on WIN7 eh Marc? Do you drive a model T as well?
Old 25-10-2018, 05:54 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Keep paying your monthly subscription(s) buddy.
Old 25-10-2018, 06:34 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The PI fanboys can give it a rest, I won't be going in that direction.
On behalf of the PI community... we're cool with that, Glen
Old 25-10-2018, 06:37 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
I have no problem with subscription models at all (esp for an app as good as PS) but I am a bit alarmed MS would curtail support for WIN 8.1 so soon. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, it's about time to move to WIN 10 anyway. Meh, life goes on.

It seems I may have panicked too soon, and mis-interpreted the email from Adobe. Specifically it said:

"Last week we announced the 2019 Release of Creative Cloud. The latest updates are not supported by older OS versions and can only be installed or run on supported versions of Windows or macOS."

In researching WIN8 support I found that it is going to carry on until 2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...fecycle-policy

At my age it probably won't matter to me anymore at that point.. Sorry for the false alarm.
Old 25-10-2018, 06:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I think we're all heading towards the end of our lifecycle policy. The real question is will there me a monthly subscription at the pearly gates. I reckon the fall could be heated. <- against TOS?
Old 25-10-2018, 06:51 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I think we're all heading towards the end of our lifecycle policy. The real question is will there me a monthly subscription at the pearly gates. I reckon the fall could be heated. <- against TOS?
I reckon there will be a monthly fee if you want the regular upgrades to heaven
Old 25-10-2018, 06:55 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
On behalf of the PI community... we're cool with that, Glen
Snicker snicker.

Viva la PixInsight - if it can make my caca half-decent, then it's a good thing. I was an early PI adopter, stalled and stalled for 6 years...and now... BRING IT ON BABY!

Oh no, jocularity..someone will dob...
Old 25-10-2018, 08:12 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I don’t understand the hate for Win10. It was a free upgrade and I think it’s the most stable Win version I’ve used.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I don’t understand the hate for Win10. It was a free upgrade and I think it’s the most stable Win version I’ve used.
I installed it on as an experiment on an old OptiPlex computer, the 1809 upgrade trashed it totally to the point I had to re-install it. I was not the only one that had issues, apparently it was pretty well world wide. It was such a crud upgrade that MS pulled it to fix the problem, so much for a stable system.
Once again MS users are Beta testers and I reckon sometime Alpha testers. I am still using Windows 7 which I find very stable.
Old 26-10-2018, 03:03 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Same sentiment here. Whilst it's sad to hear people having trouble, I'm quite happy with the 10x Win10 boxes in my house, 20(ish) other examples who have me on speed dial, and the 4000+ units at my workplace.

I don't run a Microsoft Account on any of them. This may be of help, as long as it lasts. Having installed it every week for someone, it's noticeable they're trying their best to discourage local accounts.
Old 26-10-2018, 03:21 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have to admit I remote into a lot of machines running smoothly on win10, have many mates using it without any glitch. Personally I took on the free upgrade on two laptops a year ago or so and after a few months they became very slow and unstable to a point I re imaged them to win7. I haven't converted my work machine as a result. But hey, if it works for you guys, keep doing what you're doing.
Regarding CS6 there aren't any features that CC offers that I really need or miss in CS6 so again, I don't feel the need to upgrade. And I don't like the idea to pay monthly whether I use it or not. I have paid Adobe since the mid 90s and dropped off when it was still going to be called CS7 before I realised I was on a payment scheme. They slugged me $180 USD when I said thanks but no thanks after 6 months for breach of contract. At the time CS6 was still on a yearly licence. I believe they then switched to the monthly plan as well quickly after CC was released.
Old 26-10-2018, 03:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My LOSE10 machine freezes, or slows up to the point of being unusable, is a complete memory hog both in terms of RAM and hard disk use and it makes no difference what clean up tools I use. I have been using Space Sniffer for months because of this issue (thanks Rick), but it continues to dump and accumulate temp files like no ones business. My MB fan comes on in the middle of the night to cool it down, and it is just all round bad.

I am VERY tempted to flush and flash it back to less-of-a-lose7. My imaging laptop runs 7, and not a single issue whatsoever, and that is on a 7 year old laptop.

I have slowly been transferring via LAN cable the contents of the WIN10 laptop to the WIN7 laptop, and will continue to do so. I have also uninstalled a bunch of pre-installed WIN10 useless apps.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 AM
netwolf

Afinity Pro (anyone remember Serif PagePlus) and DXO Photlab as alterantes to CC ?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:42 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Afinity Pro (anyone remember Serif PagePlus) and DXO Photlab as alterantes to CC ?
Affinity Photo should be a nice alternative for $55 (A$70).
Otherwise, get a Mac. I run Photoshop CC 2019 flawlessly on macOS.
And PI is not an option for me, too expensive, too complicated. With PS I can do everything with astrophotography.