Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM
NeilW

Article in Aust S&T this month

Hi all,

FYI there's a good introduction to RSpec in this month's Australian Sky & Telescope magazine.

Cheers,
Old 22-09-2018, 08:22 AM
47Tucanae (Helen)

This looks good! I see from the website that you can try the software with a sample video file - I was wondering about the potential to experiment with other people's data, as I currently have no scope of any sort.
Old 26-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Hi all,

FYI there's a good introduction to RSpec in this month's Australian Sky & Telescope magazine.

Cheers,
Yeah Neil, I read this article & found it very interesting. Have always been fascinated by spectrometry & this article made my realise that anyone could get involved. Have now bought a 'Star Analyser' grating & another camera (ZWO ASI290MM) to prepare for my first spectra capture/analysis.
I have messed around with the R-Spec software program & got familiar using the sample files (also online chatted with program author Tom Field - he is very helpful).
Just waiting now for clear skies here in Wollongong NSW.
Old 26-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Tucanae View Post
This looks good! I see from the website that you can try the software with a sample video file - I was wondering about the potential to experiment with other people's data, as I currently have no scope of any sort.
Yeah Helen, apart from the library included, anyone can send you a file images with extensions like .FIT, .jpg, .png, .bmp, TIFF, or video files like .avi, .mpg, .mov and also raw files among others. You can then experiment/calibrate these for practice, that's what I have been doing the last few days. I'm still learning myself but can guide you through if you need it.