Old 22-11-2011, 08:18 AM
niko

EQMod help from any Snake Valleyers

Hi all,

I ordered the USB2EQ5 cable from Shoestring so I can run EQMod but I don't think it's going to arrive in time.

Any chance anyone has something spare I can borrow to connect HEQ5Pro to laptop for the duration of the camp.

JohnG has promised to reveal all is alignment secrets but I'll need to have EQMod running in order to graduate beyond grasshopper stage!

thanks all

niko
Old 22-11-2011, 10:11 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

didn't your mount come with the RS232 and Rj12 connection? if so i prefer running it in this configuration because the handpaddle is a keep alive system. your PC turns off... your mount stays happy.
Old 22-11-2011, 10:56 AM
niko

I have a long cable (cat 5?) that means I can use the Synscan controller at a distance from the mount but I thought in order to run Alignmaster I would need EQMod where the PC is controlling the mount...?
Old 22-11-2011, 11:36 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

thats right but im not sure if the HEQ5 is the same as the EQ6 with the controller but you have 3 ports on the bottom a RJ45 which is what your plugging your extension cable to. a RJ12 which is the RS232 output and a power port for flashing the hand paddle.

You should have gotten a RJ12 -RS232 cable with your mount normally a off white colour. all you need if you have that is either a dedicated RS232 port on your lappy or like modern day lappies youll need to get a RS232-->USB cable. I use a ATEN branded one that has worked flawlessly for many years now and set me back 25 fun tokens.

Once you have it plugged in and your at the home screen in the paddle you press the number 3 then up once and it should have PC Direct mode. in this setup it will parse all commands though to the mount without interfearence.
Old 22-11-2011, 05:55 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+ 1 for the Aten coms adapter, they work flawlessly with everything I have ever thrown at them, plus they're under $30
Old 22-11-2011, 06:35 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

The biggest concern/worry that i have with converting to full EQdir is that my little eeepc sometimes has a bit of a issue of BSD at about 3am..... So if your imaging and you get it the link is lost with the mount, the mount powers down game over. you have to repark your scope manually, which means you have to get your sky model sorted again and its a bit whoooharrr.

On the other side of the coin, if you have the mount hand paddle in the link, it is the one keeping the mount active, although it does not interfear with any commands it still is sitting as a slave in the back ground hence it doesn't matter if the link is lost with the paddle/computer the paddle/mount is still active hence keeping all the DSC information. As soon as you log back into the mount with a click of the button if you where crafty enough to save your points in EQmod which is very easy to do, your back online in minimal time. You will still be on target, and if your using programs like maximdl im pretty sure all your previous camera angles and calibrations are kept so its a matter of turning it back on and connecting everything again. Thats the reason why i have never bothered with the EQdir from shoestring its not needed and you actually go backwards in functionality.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:40 AM
niko

Thanks Brendan - very sage advice.

So, have I got this right....

standard cable between mount and hand controller
Rj12 to RS232 then RS232 to usb from hand controller to laptop?

I got the moiunt secondhand so didn't get any cables.

Given the camp is on the weekend do you think Jaycar would have these cables already made up?

thanks again

niko
Old 23-11-2011, 10:08 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

maybe maybenot. im erring on the maybenot. How good are you with the solder? they are a simple design and as long as you get the right pin outs really there isn't a issue.

All it requires is somebody who has a .... working... multi meter (mine one of the probes wire had a bit of a mischief) to do a continuity test. Crimp a RJ12, and solder your pin outs as there is i think only 4. shouldn't take too long at all to fab one up.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:42 AM
niko

thnaks Brendan - I can buy a RS232 to usb cable from Jaycar and I'll take the bits with me to camp and see if Martin has his crimper

thanks again for the advice

niko
Old 23-11-2011, 12:33 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

just be careful the one you get not all are equal! best if you can let your fingers do the walking and find a ATEN I will garentee that it will work! and they are cheap.

Do get a RJ12 plug in any case because you can push the required parts by hand if you get in a tight spot! as for the RS232 you really need a soldering iron with a fine ish tip