#1  
Old 26-06-2019, 04:15 PM
casstony
Registered User

casstony is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warragul, Vic
Posts: 4,058
M16

I'm not really happy with this image because the stars are overwhelming. I had the same issue with the Prawn nebula.

Narrowband images are much nicer with smaller stars so I've got an L-Enhance filter on the way to try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m16_260619_DBE.jpg10% - Copy.jpg)
206.5 KB58 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27-06-2019, 08:13 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,528
You are certainly getting out there Tony.
Maybe more subs to brighten the nebulosity...still you bagged it thats the first goal☺.
I have the feeling you will not be happy until you go narrow band but if you do you may find you will not keep the numbers up☺
And really that camera is getting excellent results.
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27-06-2019, 10:47 AM
casstony
Registered User

casstony is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warragul, Vic
Posts: 4,058
We've had 3 clear nights in a row so I made the most of it Alex. This image looks a little flat compared to the others because I used High Dynamic Range Transform in Pixinsight to tone down the blown out core, though the original might look better.

I'm hoping the newer multi-narrowband filters will allow me to stay with the simple DSLR but get close to the contrast of the mono cameras.

With my current gear it takes about 30 minutes from bringing out the mount to guiding/imaging and I'd like to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-06-2019, 07:14 PM
RyanJones
Registered User

RyanJones is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
We've had 3 clear nights in a row so I made the most of it Alex. This image looks a little flat compared to the others because I used High Dynamic Range Transform in Pixinsight to tone down the blown out core, though the original might look better.

I'm hoping the newer multi-narrowband filters will allow me to stay with the simple DSLR but get close to the contrast of the mono cameras.

With my current gear it takes about 30 minutes from bringing out the mount to guiding/imaging and I'd like to keep it that way.
Hi Tony,

Looks like youíve been busy. Iím with you on the simplicity of a dslr setup and want to keep it that way too. If youíre looking at multi NB filters, I can highly recommend the STC Duo. Iíve just started using it but I am amazed at what I can do with it. The only draw back, and itís the same with all NB imaging is the length of the subs blows out massively. No more multi object nights, itís multi night objects. A small price to pay for what you can get with it though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Imme (Jon)
Registered User

Imme is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kyneton
Posts: 607
A question.....how dark is your sky?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27-06-2019, 07:30 PM
casstony
Registered User

casstony is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warragul, Vic
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
A question.....how dark is your sky?
I'm on the border of a green/yellow zone in town. We have LED streetlights and house lights but we're bordering a park and have lots of trees; I can easily see the milky way and magellanic clouds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27-06-2019, 07:39 PM
casstony
Registered User

casstony is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warragul, Vic
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Tony,

Looks like youíve been busy. Iím with you on the simplicity of a dslr setup and want to keep it that way too. If youíre looking at multi NB filters, I can highly recommend the STC Duo. Iíve just started using it but I am amazed at what I can do with it. The only draw back, and itís the same with all NB imaging is the length of the subs blows out massively. No more multi object nights, itís multi night objects. A small price to pay for what you can get with it though.
I've ordered the similar but cheaper Optolong L-enhance filter Ryan; I also have separate Ha and OIII filters.
5 minute Ha subs worked well and I can do longer subs in winter. If the L-enhance works well I may have jumped the gun on the other narrow band filters; if it doesn't I'll be learning how to make bi-colour images.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Sunfish (Ray)
Registered User

Sunfish is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 387
Looks great. Lots of nebulosity. You sure are getting some hours out under the sky. I donít mind seeing the stars as they are in front but it will be interesting to see if you can make them smaller and tighter with the right filters. Thanks for posting your images.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27-06-2019, 08:50 PM
casstony
Registered User

casstony is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warragul, Vic
Posts: 4,058
Thanks Ray. I had another go at this one and it looks a bit better I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Autosave_ABE.jpg 10% - Copy.jpg)
200.6 KB18 views
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-06-2019, 09:35 PM
RyanJones
Registered User

RyanJones is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I've ordered the similar but cheaper Optolong L-enhance filter Ryan; I also have separate Ha and OIII filters.
5 minute Ha subs worked well and I can do longer subs in winter. If the L-enhance works well I may have jumped the gun on the other narrow band filters; if it doesn't I'll be learning how to make bi-colour images.
I just looked up that filter and it looks interesting. Without seeing the exact cut offs, the graphs show an interesting difference. It appears that the bandpass on mine is wider on the Ha but tighter in the Oiii. Given that youíre using a modded camera which in my experience tend to be quite Ha saturated, the wider band in Oiii might give your images a better balance. Iíll be interested to see your results.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 12:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement