Old 27-07-2008, 06:29 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Nikon D700

I'm looking at buying one of these.

Has anyone had a play with one yet???????
Sounds like it's good in low light, minimal noise like the D3 but $1400 odd dollars cheaper, FX full size CCD sounds good also.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Ian Robinson

ISO: 200~6,400, from ISO 100 up to 25,600 ???

Will want an exceptionally noiseless chip !!! to be much use at such ultra-high ISOs.
Old 31-07-2008, 07:09 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

judging by what the D300 can do @ 3200/5000 I'd say that would be a ripper camera for astro-work..

The D700 is basically the D3's chip in a D300 body... For the price, they are a brilliant piece of kit...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
RB (Andrew)

From what I hear, this is a great camera.
The Nikons (D3, D300 & D700) are kicking Canon atm.

Canon's released the 1000D as an entry body for those that want to move up from P+S cameras, but unless Canon can come up with something better than the 1000D/450D/40D, they'll loose ground to the new Nikon range.

In my opinion, I think these new Nikons have superb low light performance for terrestrial so they should be great for astro too.

The only Canon pro-sumer model that has exceptionally better low noise performance over the other Canons atm is the 5D (unless you move up to the 1D bodies) because of it's FF sensor and they haven't tried to cram in too many megapixels on the sensor.
Once they start packing the sensor with higher pixel count they introduce more noise.

It will be interesting to see what Canon will do now, because there's speculation of a new 5D MkII (or equivalent) to be released soon.
For now, if you haven't already got Canon lenses, I'd highly recommend the Nikon bodies.

If you want to wait or already have Canon gear, then hang on and see if there's any announcements from Canon in the next month or two.

This will also give you a better idea of how the D700 is performing not to mention that prices usually go down, not up on camera bodies.

The Canon 5D is around $2350 which is a bargain for this superb FF camera and some people here are using them for astro with fantastic results.
The Nikon D700 is around $3600, but again should be a great performer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:00 AM
CometGuy

Paul,

I was suprised to see the D700 listing for around $3500, definitely a lot of camera for the money, especially when you consider the pro-level specs.

My only beef is the way Nikon handle RAW files in long exposure images. Have a look at Christian Buil's website www.astrosurf.com/buil for more information (look for the 10D/D70 comparision). Still it doesn't stop people getting great astro results from these cameras.

Terry
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
hector (Andrew)

Hi All
I have the D300 already and I must admit that the camera is FANTASTIC. The D700 is just the 300 with a full size chip. The camera response in low light is amazing. I have used the camera at ISO800 a couple of times now for Astrophotos and each time the camera has exceeded my expectations.
Without getting a complete new set of lens's for my Nikon I wont be upgrading to the D700, but if you plan on the complete kit of camera and lens's go for it. The D700 will accept the DX series of lens but it will cut the camera down to 6mp. Most of my photography revolves about Landscape and Nature and I could not pick a better camera for that.
I have recently purchased the 70-200 f2.8 ed lens which is designed for film and full size sensor cameras and it cost over $2800. Most of the SLR lens's that can be seen around at the moment are for standard DSLR with the smaller chips.
Go for the D700, I am sure you wont regret it.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGuy View Post
Paul,

I was suprised to see the D700 listing for around $3500, definitely a lot of camera for the money, especially when you consider the pro-level specs.

My only beef is the way Nikon handle RAW files in long exposure images. Have a look at Christian Buil's website www.astrosurf.com/buil for more information (look for the 10D/D70 comparision). Still it doesn't stop people getting great astro results from these cameras.

Terry

The D70 is a LONG way off the D300... Even the D80 has much much better handling of long exposures than the D70, and the D300 is leaps and bounds ahead of a D80.. (I've owned a D70s, own a D80 and have used D300's...) Any beefs you have with the older nikons really dont apply, the technology employed in the newer lineup is substantially better.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
StarLane
Futurist

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the opinions, I really needed someone elses point of view before I dive in. I have a full stable of Nikkor lenses including the 80-200 f2.8, 85 f1.4, 20 f2.8, 50 f1.4 and other slower zooms etc, and I am hunting down a 28-70 f2.8, so I really want to stick with Nikon for that reason. I have'nt been happy with the offerings from Nikon regarding digital SLR's till the D3 (but too pricey) now the D700 is in my range. I have been waiting for a reasonably priced full sized Nikon sensor for a while and it has finally arrived.

I reckon in that price range the 5D is the only competition for the D700, and even then, the D700 sounds better. I'm not a Nikon freak, I have owned Canon's before, I just like the Nikon operating system and lenses, plus I have had a couple of Canons fail on me in the past. I have heard Canon have new models on the way like a 3D and a 6D, I think they are both full size and maybe 18 to 20 mega pixels???, I guess we will see. I need a full sized Nikon now so I will go with that.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Your stack of Nikkor's sound awesome! good spread for astrophotography

The D700 will be right up your alley... I think the Canon 5D is the direct competition for the D700..

my problem... I love nikon bodies... But canon L glass has me hooked...

If someone makes an adapter to go from nikon body -> canon EF lenses whilst retaining all automatic functions (and IS/VR) I'll have a D700!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

This camera was a myth until just a little while ago. I'm glad to see it's now real. I can't justify the price of a D3, but didn't want the D300 with its DX format. It'll be great to have a nice wide viewfinder again too. I have a bunch of Nikkor lenses from my old film days that desperately want a good body to go an to again. I don't necessarily need autofocus, but it'd be nice one day when my collection expands a litle more to incorporate some sports lenses with fast AF. Here's the current bunch...

1) 35-70mm 1:1.45
2) 55mm 1:3.5 Micro
3) 43-86mm 1:3.5
4) 35mm 1:2
5) 50mm 1:1.4 (Standard lens - Nikon EL2)
6) 50mm 1:4 (Standard lens - Nikon F)
7) 24mm 1:2.8
8) 105mm 1:2.5
9) 105mm 1:1.4 Micro
10) 300 1:4.5 ED-IF (AI)

And a couple of kit lenses for the current DX DSLR

11) 18-55AF-S
12) 55-200AF-S VR