Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've downloaded the new firmware but I've not loaded it to the camera yet. I'm just a bit nervous, though I've also downloaded a backup original firmware. If you do a search on CN the comments were very favourable.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:02 PM
beren

EOS 300D Big Zoom Kit includes the EOS 300D with Canon 28-90mm zoom, and additional EF 90-300mm lens for $1699.......
looks good from teds digital , dont know what the big zoom lens is like or how it rates but this has me very interested apart form other second hand gear.......BTW looks like you can get the 300d in black now as well
Old 04-02-2005, 08:10 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

don't forget about the noise problems, apparently, the 300d is a lot less noisier than the D70 and the 10D. There's a link about it somewhere....
AH! Found one, but it wasn't the one I was looking for: nikon vs canon 10d
Darn, I can't find that other link. It was an in depth comprison report on the noise and thermal noise of each of these cameras. Very detailed and informative. Once I find it, I'll put the link up but for now, you've just all gotta believe me

Stuart, is that Ted's as in Ted's Digital Camera's you're talking about it? If I remember correctly, they were one of the most expensive stores I found when I was looking for a D70...but maybe their 300d is better priced, I haven't looked in a while though.

Last edited by silvinator; 04-02-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
beren

thanks Silvie , there seems to wide praise for the canon cmos sensor , from what ive read Canon produced there own and Sony and kodak supply everyone else including Nikon . It looks the Canon for me but im trying to work out the best balance for astro and terrestial work , wether to go for a camera body and buy a good fixed lens and a good zoom lens or buy a package deal . BTW that price is from teds its the best price ive found so far for new
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Yes I've read that somewhere too about canon's cmos sensor, I think it was on dpreview. I reckon you should try to go for a package deal if Maria will allow it Then you would definitely get the best of both worlds because you could also use those good quality lenses and zooms for some wide field shots of the night sky.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Beren, I was pricing the 330D and the D70 recently, and the price you've quoted from Ted's is much better than anything I could find for new.

BTW You'll see in America the 300D goes by the name "Rebel" I asked around the Camera stores and was advised it is just the American release of the same Camera. There is a fully black (Darth Vader??) limited edition version of the 300D going around at the moment......I understand you pay $200 more for the same unit. I'd rather save the money and get the standard edition.

Rodstar
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM
rowena

hrm.. well i had a nice big response down, then accidently pressed that stupid X button, thinking it was on another window.

the rundown is..

i had problems with my 300D. error 99, kept locking the shutter on me. canon had to replace the shutter, so if u can get extra warrenty get it! this problem started about 10 months after i bought it, so i was lucky to get it replaced free of charge under warrenty!

if you buy your camera outside australia, canon australia supposedly wont cover warrenty, but if you buy lenses out side australia then they will cover warrenty!

remote controls u can buy for $30-60 AU
1 gig compact flash $200 Au (San disk Ultra II)

some aussie websites..
http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au
http://www.camerastore.com.au

Nz website..
http://www.photo.nz.co

this is an american website with links to a lot of american stores. this is good if you want to source american pricing, or trying to find stuff that you may not be able to find in australia.. such as certain types of films..
http://www.photosecrets.com/links.stores.html

finally i have attached a pic from my 300D. go the light pollution from the Port Kembla steelworks (wollongong). but you can still clearly make out the southern cross.. two pointers... etc.

Also.. if u do decide to do the firmware upgrade.. as mentioned in an earlier post. if u do have to send your camera back to canon for repairs, you will need to put your original firmware back on your camera because the upgrade voids your warrenty. i have had a friend who has done the upgrade, and he hasnt had a problem with it at all. But i guess it depends on where you get your firmware from.

rowena
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (southernsmall.jpg)
46.9 KB138 views
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Rowena,

Welcome.

Nice work!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Robby

That's a nice photo Rowena... Welcome to the forum!
I like the "lit" tress in the foreground.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Cheers rowena, welcome to the forum and thanks for the great information.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Howdy rowena! that's a very nice picture you have there. Glad you found your way to this forum The 300d sure can produce some fantastic pics.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM
rowena

hehe thanks ..

ive got some nice lightning photos the other night.. but i just have to resize them before posting them!

other then that, havent touched my camera much :\
Old 26-02-2005, 08:43 AM
CometGuy

Guys,

Both the 300D and D70 make excellent astrocameras, the D70 requires the 'mode 3 trick' to generate true raw images. If you are intending to do the H-Alpha enhancing mod, the D70 may actually be a better option.

I own the 300D (with the IR filter replaced with a Baader UV/IR) and am very happy with it. If you have a 300D can I suggest the 50mm f1.8 lens - if you get hold of a cheap mark I version with the distance scale even better. Here are some recent results I have been getting with this lens:

http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/50mm_f18_ef

Can you do daylight photography with a modified camera? Yes you can, but its harder to get acceptable results. Here are some examples:

http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/po...aylight_images

The bird shot was made by taking the standard Canon filter and mounting it on a 58mm filter ring and screwing it onto the front of the lens.

I am now using dcraw to modify colour balance automatically from raw files and it works well.

Terry
Old 26-02-2005, 11:34 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Great shots Terry. I think you may find us picking you're brains over about advantages/disadvantages fo the modified camera.

BTW I apologise to you and anyone else in the Southeast Qld area for missing you with the invite to join me and other Iceinspacers up here on the Sunshine Coast. It was purely an oversight on my part in not scanning the members well enough for their locations. If you're able to make it, and everyone else is included in this invitation, you are more than welcome to join us tonight at the Mapelton Observatory for some serious play time.

Paul
Old 28-02-2005, 04:05 PM
MiG

You played with the guts of a DSLR!!!
Amazing results though. There are almost too many stars in your photos
I love the resolution and quality that comes from DSLR sensors. I don't think webcams do the sky justice. Perhaps one of those 3CCD high definition video cameras will do the trick
Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Rohan

Anyone had a go of the new EOS 350D. TEDs have it at $1899. 8mp sensor, smaller body, mirror lock etc. I'll prob get a DSLR in 3-6 months. Gotta get my scope first.

http://www.canon.com.au/products/vis...r/eos350d.html
Old 13-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Are there images available of a modified canon compared with an unmodified canon of the same area of sky and exact exposure times etc...? Astro photo's only.
Old 13-03-2005, 09:05 AM
CometGuy

This will give you some idea, identical scope and exposures on Eta Carina. I have seperated the RGB channels so you can see the change in sensitivity.

http://www.pbase.com/terrylovejoy/et...fore_and_after

Terry

Quote:
Originally posted by Astroman
Are there images available of a modified canon compared with an unmodified canon of the same area of sky and exact exposure times etc...? Astro photo's only.
Old 13-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks, would be good if they could turn that filter on and off from the menu. Would be a magic camera and they would sell billions of them.
Old 14-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Astroman
Thanks, would be good if they could turn that filter on and off from the menu. Would be a magic camera and they would sell billions of them.
ohhhh that would be so so so sweet. Doubt it will happen in the near future thou. They arn't exactly marketing the 300d and 350d entirely at astronomers