Old 14-06-2010, 11:53 AM
orestis

11-6-10 Sketches

Hi Everyone,

It was a beautifull clear night and though it was very cold i just couldn't see a clear night pass me by,so out i took the telescope.

You might remember me posting a unfinished sketch of ngc 4755 and tonight i decided to really try and plot as much stars as i could and i plotted about 50 stars in all.I also sketched M80.

NGC 4755- This is an amazing cluster easily visible to the naked eye and easy to find.THe central star kappa crucis is a beautifull red coloured star which adds so much to the overall experience of this oc.there were about 8 or so bright stars framing the cluster and in between, a lot of little ones.lovely cluster.probally my favourite oc,that is untlill i discover more tremendous clusters.

M80-This was quite easy to find and once found this object was amazing.it was just so concetrated and fairly bright(you might note that it looks a little too bright in the sketch but i think that adds depth to the sketch).I don't think i could reslove any stars at all but on the edge of the glob i saw quite a bit of granularity.

All obs made with 130mm reflecter in clear calm conditions.seeing was average.

It was a lovely night and to top it off i saw a pretty bright meteor aswell.

thanks for looking,regards
Orestis

ps-yesterday afternoon at about 4:00pm before the sun had set i could clearly see venus,in daylight.its just so awesome to be able too see it in daylight.have you seen it in daylight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jewel box cluster2.JPG)
28.3 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (m80 2.JPG)
22.1 KB61 views
Old 14-06-2010, 02:22 PM
leon

Excellent work indeed, well done.

Leon
Old 14-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Robh (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post

NGC 4755- This is an amazing cluster easily visible to the naked eye and easy to find.THe central star kappa crucis is a beautifull red coloured star which adds so much to the overall experience of this oc.there were about 8 or so bright stars framing the cluster and in between, a lot of little ones.lovely cluster.probally my favourite oc,that is untlill i discover more tremendous clusters.
Orestis, great sketch.
Anyone who has ever done a sketch from the EP will know you need not only a good eye but a lot of patience. Lots of going back and forth between EP and page to position each star accurately in a sketch. Well done!

That central orange-red star is in fact DU Crucis, a variable of class M2. It is a stand-out in a sea of otherwise blue-white stars.
Wikipedia and others incorrectly identify it as kappa Crucis, which is actually the star at the end of the right leg of the bright "A" of stars. Kappa Crucis is a B3 class star of visual mag 5.98. The brightest star is actually NSV 6008 at visual mag 5.77.
See attached diagram ...

Regards, Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jewel Box.jpg)
35.9 KB23 views
Old 14-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Well done Orestis! Keep it up I enjoyed reading your obs and seeing your sketches. I hope to get into sketching myself soon too.
Old 14-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Very nice work as usual Orestis.
Old 14-06-2010, 11:38 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Great sketches.

For your next challenge see if you can locate Venus at about midday. Use a building to block the sun from view. If you see this in time the cresent moon (if you can find it) will be just above Venus on the 15th.
Old 15-06-2010, 06:35 PM
orestis

Thanks everyone for the kind coments .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post

That central orange-red star is in fact DU Crucis, a variable of class M2. It is a stand-out in a sea of otherwise blue-white stars.

Regards, Rob
Thanks for that Rob.
Old 16-06-2010, 10:44 PM
pgc hunter

great sketches. I particularly like your M80, a very realistic impresssion of a globular that appears grainy at the edges and just begins to show resolution. Well done!
Old 17-06-2010, 04:37 PM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
great sketches. I particularly like your M80, a very realistic impresssion of a globular that appears grainy at the edges and just begins to show resolution. Well done!
Thanks Sab

regards orestis
Old 30-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Rex

Awesome job Orestis. Great sketches and obs report, keep it up.