Old 25-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

Modding a DSLR

Hello all

I'm considering modding my Nikon D70, mainly for the purpose of getting better imaging out of the very poor conditions i get here at Paramatta. I'm still not to clear on what filtering i will need or what would work best. Do i need an IR filter as well as Ha/OIII/OII, and which filter would give better data through the thick smog that hangs round here?
Any advice much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Jas
Old 25-05-2009, 08:30 PM
leon

Jas, it depends how game you are, I have done 3 Canon 5D'S, but it is stressful if one is dealing with a $4000.00 Camera body.

However if you wish to have a go at this, you have to remove the original filter in front of the sensor, and replace it with a UV/IR cut filter, which you will have to purchase from the States I expect.

If you are not handy, or game, I suggest you get someone to do it for you.

Leon
Old 25-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

I have no problem doing the mod, but the filter is where im stuck, Woulden't a uv/ir cut be ok Further foward in the optical train. Or do i have to place a replacement over the sensor? and if im doing Ha do i even need the uv/ir?

Ps: I do realise this would limit my cam to astro only.
Old 25-05-2009, 10:07 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hi Jason.
I modded my D70 a while ago and just used a screw in 2" UV/IR filter.
The filter just screws into the front of the T piece and this way you can also use a screw in HA filter.
Old 26-05-2009, 12:52 PM
leon

I have no problem doing the mod, but the filter is where im stuck, Woulden't a uv/ir cut be ok Further foward in the optical train. Or do i have to place a replacement over the sensor? and if im doing Ha do i even need the uv/ir?

Ps: I do realise this would limit my cam to astro only.

No mate if you want to truly mod this camera, you have to remove to existing filter in front of the sensor and make sure the gap between the sensor and the new replacement filter is exactly the same, otherwise your Auto Function is stuffed.

No problem if you want to do software focus stuff.

Leon.

Have a look at this.

http://www.lifepixel.com/ir-tutorial...structions.htm

and this.

http://www.alpineastro.com/filters/f...DSLR%20Filters

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/....tons/quote.gif
Old 26-05-2009, 01:48 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Leon is only half right/left

If you do prime focus then you dont use the autofocus from the camera, and it looks like you want to do that.
So if you do prime focus then you dont have to use a filter at the right spot in the camera.
If you still want to use your canon lenses then you have to focus by eye.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

Thanks guys i think i get it now, If i don't put a replacement filter of same thickness and same height from sensor the auto functions will not work, which is fine buy me. I will screw a filter into the t adapter and leave it there just to eliminate dust in the camera.

Thanks for the responses

Jas
Old 26-05-2009, 05:28 PM
gregbradley

Hi Jas,

I modded my D70 a few years ago. Its not that hard and modifying a Nikon is easier than modifying a Canon.

There are some websites that show photos and step by step instructions.

The main thing that you will find tricky is the ribbon cable connectors.

They lift up and the ribbon cable pulls out. Then to reinstall you slide the ribbon cable in and snap the connector down on top of it. I did not realise the connector opened by lifting the snap lock part up as it is hinged. Not obvious. I damaged a ribbon cable but managed to get it all back together working.

I used clear double sided anti reflection coated glass from Edmunds Optics. It was tricky to cut it to the right size so best get them to do it or perhaps take it to a glass shop. You might be able to buy it already cut to the right size. The thickness has to be correct so the autofocus will still work. From memory it was 3mm but double check that. They are thicker than the Canons.

You could also buy a precut UV/IR block filter from Baader. They may sell one for Nikons although the D70 is now an old camera.

The advantages are of these 2:

1. Clear glass means you will also need a Baader UV/IR block filter that screws onto to your extension tube that will go into your visual back of the scope.

You can do terrestial imaging using a Xnite CC1 filter. So its a bit more flexible.

2. The UV/IR block filter version will not require an additional UV/IR filter to image with.

Terrestial imaging is not quite able to be done although I think you could try an Xnite CC1 filter and see how that works out.

As far as light pollution others can advise but I have seen good results from the IDAS light pollution filters.

Greg.
Old 26-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Insane Climber (Jason)

Thanks Greg its good to hear that someone else has done this. Makes me feel a bit more confident, and cheers for the warning about the ribbon cable i hate those things, to fragile. To be honest considering the age of the camera i might just remove the filter and make it useless for anything other than astro. This will of course make the focus between viewfinder and sensor different, so i will have to use DSLR focus. Still considering though.