Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

I got rid of that grid pattern

I have had great consternation trying to get rid of those horrid grid patterns. I have a ZWO ASI224-MC colour - which says has a Bayer pattern of RGGB. My imaging software is Sharpcap. I was told to put it through Pipp first to do the debayering. Then into DSS for stacking, then into Star tools for processing. Came out awful - grids everywhere. Then I read somewhere to experiment in Pipp with the debayering settings by testing the image, and.....surprise, surprise,,,, when I tested the image with GRBG, the grid had gone!
Back into star tools and all was well - no grid - until I made the mistake of trying to denoise. I got into that screen that says this is a preview. Great...Only there was no way to "keep" or save the image. I tried everything and ended up deleting what was shaping up to be my best ever wide angle shot of Milky Way.
I am now learning Pixinsight (which, when mastered) is streets ahead of any other processing software.
DON'T believe those "experts" who know everything about debayering. Try those different settings for yourself!.
As for Star Tools, well it has let me down once too often.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Hi James,
Quote:
then into Star tools for processing. Came out awful - grids everywhere.
This is actually a feature in StarTools! The scaling algorithm intentionally creates aliasing effects, so that incorrect Bayering settings manifest themselves by generating an aliasing/grid pattern, even at larger scales. StarTools did you a favor here by showing you a latent grid pattern, as it was designed to do.
Quote:
I got into that screen that says this is a preview. Great...Only there was no way to "keep" or save the image.
This is by design - as the popup states, it's a preview. Final noise reduction can only be performed when you switch Tracking off. This is so that Tracking has had the longest time to record how the signal has evolved, thereby being able to pinpoint with precision the noise component for every pixel. If you'd like to know more about Tracking and what it is doing exactly, you can read up on it on the website.
Quote:
As for Star Tools, well it has let me down once too often.
I'm sorry to hear that. Do let me know if there is any particular area it has let you down in!

If you're moving from StartTools to PixInsight (or the other way around), there is a handy translation table here for going back and forth between ST and PI terminology.

Clear skies,
Old 13-08-2018, 08:30 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

Thanks for that explanation, Ivo
Regarding the preview, I tried every possible button and there was no way to back out or undo - I must have missed something obvious, as all there was left to do was to switch the computer off, which I did, and then had a great game in Windows 10 trying to get the thing to work at all. I will try ST 1.4 again and see if I can repeat the problem
Old 14-08-2018, 10:40 AM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh1555 View Post
Regarding the preview, I tried every possible button and there was no way to back out or undo - I must have missed something obvious, as all there was left to do was to switch the computer off, which I did, and then had a great game in Windows 10 trying to get the thing to work at all. I will try ST 1.4 again and see if I can repeat the problem
Hmmm... that doesn't sound right! Do let me know if this is an replicable issue - especially in 1.4.x.

How are your colours turning out now with the correct Bayer pattern? Are you having any trouble getting a good colour balance?