Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 26-07-2018, 07:32 AM
sletts02

Help identifying key points of interest

We took this one at a school camp and I was hoping someone could help identify any key elements in the image?

https://i.imgur.com/dBuEjj7.jpg
Old 26-07-2018, 09:45 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Use an app like Sky Safari. Easy.

To help get you started, I've marked some items on your photo. Info on these objects is very easy to find, so no need for me to spell it all out. All of these are naked eye objects.

One thing, however, that most people are not aware of is that the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) is actually a small barred spiral galaxy! - pretty much a mini version of our own Milky Way Galaxy! A celestial "Mini-Me" What is most unusual about this is most small spiral galaxies would be torn up and destroyed by a behemoth galaxy like our own Milky Way (MW). It is VERY unusual to see a small spiral galaxy so relatively unscathed when it has come so close to such a massive galaxy like our own. There is a curious gravitational interplay between the MW, the LMC and the Small Magellanic Cloud, which is just out of the frame of your picture. This has helped preserve the spiral structure of the LMC. The two arms of the LMC can just be glimpsed coming off each end of the central bar through binos and rich field scope. When we look at it, like it is in your photo, the spiral is spinning in an clockwise direction. The LMC however has not totally escaped the gravitational clutches of the MW. The massive tidal pull exerted by the MW has induced massive new stellar formation within the LMC. The Tarantula Nebula is the largest known star forming nebula complex, dwarfing anything in our MW, and can be also be seen naked eye! Seeing the faint spot of the Tarantula is a good indicator of good sky transparency. The other photo I've attached shows the spiral arms of the LMC, and all the red markings within it are all the new stellar formation areas.

To think that the LMC is actually a face-on barred spiral galaxy complete with arms to me totally changed my thinking about this galaxy that sits King in our Southern Sky!

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Key points.jpg)
160.2 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (LMC_HaOIIILRGB LR.jpg)
129.4 KB41 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 26-07-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 26-07-2018, 01:50 PM
sletts02

Thanks @mental4astro! That's some really interesting and useful information! I really appreciate the time you took to help me out with that